LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

SLP Loudmouth exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Default SLP Loudmouth exhaust

I currently have an 80 series flowmaster catback on my car and it sounds great but i hear how terrible the system actually is and its not loud enought for me. After hours of begging practically, my dad wont let me get headers so i wanna get a SLP loudmouth system for my car. Is it any better than my current Flowmasters? Also, i have to buy the conversion kit to convert it to fit my LT1, does that require any welding or is it just slipping on and clamping? Thanks alot!

BTW: Year One has a 20% off sale starting monday and ending the 11th. Phone orders only. The code is Roar5 and some items are exempt but thats why im getting the exhaust now.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't do longtubes, maybe it'd be a nice change to switch catbacks.

However, the Flowmaster system sounds sweet. It doesn't flow as well as most aftermarket catbacks, but it doesn't really matter all that much since we're talking about less than a 3-5rwhp difference (unless you absolutely want to eek out every last drop of performance). The only real reason you'd have to change would be for the stainless steel construction of the SLP LM compared to the aluminized steel that the flowmaster is made with.

I'd say it'd be a waste to swap, that's my opinion. Unless you're afraid of the Flowmaster rotting out there really isn't a reason to unless you've already heard the LM and like it much more than the Flowmaster sound. If you want it louder, remove the cat.

Anyway, what I usually tell people is generally to ignore aftermarket catback performance numbers and instead buy the stainless steel catback whose sound you like the best. But in your case, I'd keep the Flowmaster.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i liked the sound of the one that i had on my LS1. but you have an A4 and cant control the RPMs as much as my M6. i would get it that is me IMO
Old 04-30-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just keep the Flowmaster cat-back you already have and add a cheap $35 Flowtech cutout to your I-pipe. It will be noticeably louder at any rpm than your Flowmaster (way louder at WOT) and will allow your car to squeak out every last horsepower. Personally, I love the sound of open cutouts on LT1's as long as the cats are still in place. Very MEAN tone, albeit much rawer than a cat-back system.

Anyways, save your $$$ and just do it this way. Fairly similar sound to the Loudmouth and when you want the car to be quieter and would like to hear the sound of the Flowmaster muffler, all you have to do is get under the car for 10 minutes and put the cap back on.

Mike
Old 05-01-2005, 03:54 AM
TECH Junkie

yup just like 2000LS1Z28 said, get a cutout for way less $$$, and let it ROAR!!!!
Old 05-01-2005, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000LS1Z28
Just keep the Flowmaster cat-back you already have and add a cheap $35 Flowtech cutout to your I-pipe. It will be noticeably louder at any rpm than your Flowmaster (way louder at WOT) and will allow your car to squeak out every last horsepower. Personally, I love the sound of open cutouts on LT1's as long as the cats are still in place. Very MEAN tone, albeit much rawer than a cat-back system.

Anyways, save your $$$ and just do it this way. Fairly similar sound to the Loudmouth and when you want the car to be quieter and would like to hear the sound of the Flowmaster muffler, all you have to do is get under the car for 10 minutes and put the cap back on.

Mike
Sounds like a good idea. However is there welding required to put the cutout in? I may do it that way but I also need to know if it will pass inspection with a cutout after the cat somewhere before the muffler.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

yes their is welding involved, but any muffler shop can do it..... The only way you will not pass inspection is if they do a visual inspection.....and actually get under the car and check
Old 05-01-2005, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

^I get my car inspection at a local Pontiac dealer, do dealers look under the car? Im thinking they do b/c the mechanic complimented my dad on how nice the exhaust was put on. This really sucks because I want a cutout. Does a cutout before the muffler do anything?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Regular

Default loudmouth

The loudmouth is ridiculously loud .... i mean INSANE ... its great for a little while until you realize that its rattling your car to death (and i literally mean TO DEATH! rattles bolts loose etc.)

best bet is to pay for a good quality catback like a Hooker or Magnaflow and one that wont rattle your car into the grave....

I didn't have a choice because my car came with the LoudMouth..... kinda wish it didn't! oh well...
Old 05-02-2005, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

I'm running a bullet muffler exhaust which is pretty much a straight pipe with another pipe welded around it for tuning.

The sound is VERY mean. Very bassy, very loud, very nascarish at WOT. It is easily the most identifiable car around here, I'm probably the only one with this loud of exhaust. It sounds WAY better than a Loud Mouth or an open muffler. I think the bullet muffler does a very nice job of toning the sound, while keeping it loud and mean still.

And that's without headers and with cats still. Wait till I get headers hehe

An exhaust this loud is something you have to think about. It's even VERY loud inside the car with all the windows/t-tops up. But you can still easily talk and listen to the radio. You have to be prepared that you'll have to listen to this every time you get in your car. My car is (unfortunatly) currently my daily driver, and I wouldn't have my exhaust any other way. Only 1 time have I sort of wished it was quieter..

My car also came with a flowmaster 80. It sucked lol.

My advice: Go for a bullet muffler over the loudmouth. The muffler itself is about $40 from summit racing (get the 3" one), plus installation. Those costs together are still cheaper than a loud mouth. LMs are raspy anyway, the bullet muffler isn't anywhere near as raspy.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 25thAnnivTransAm
I'm running a bullet muffler exhaust which is pretty much a straight pipe with another pipe welded around it for tuning.

The sound is VERY mean. Very bassy, very loud, very nascarish at WOT. It is easily the most identifiable car around here, I'm probably the only one with this loud of exhaust. It sounds WAY better than a Loud Mouth or an open muffler. I think the bullet muffler does a very nice job of toning the sound, while keeping it loud and mean still.

And that's without headers and with cats still. Wait till I get headers hehe

An exhaust this loud is something you have to think about. It's even VERY loud inside the car with all the windows/t-tops up. But you can still easily talk and listen to the radio. You have to be prepared that you'll have to listen to this every time you get in your car. My car is (unfortunatly) currently my daily driver, and I wouldn't have my exhaust any other way. Only 1 time have I sort of wished it was quieter..

My car also came with a flowmaster 80. It sucked lol.

My advice: Go for a bullet muffler over the loudmouth. The muffler itself is about $40 from summit racing (get the 3" one), plus installation. Those costs together are still cheaper than a loud mouth. LMs are raspy anyway, the bullet muffler isn't anywhere near as raspy.
You do realize that a bullet is a resonator, and the Loudmouth is a catback that uses a similar resonator as it's muffler, right? If youre running 3" piping with a resonator, you're basically running a Loudmouth catback. They're basically the same thing, which is what leads to many people arguing that a LM is an overpriced catback.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

The bullet muffler from Texas Speed actually sounds better and a bit quiter than the loudmouth imho and is a bit cheaper as well.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:23 AM
Launching!

Would they check to see if your vehicle is street legal during inspections? If they do, I would not recommend the loudmouth because it does not have a muffler. You're kind of stuck with what you've got unless you want to spend some big dollars for a Borla or GMMG cat-back.

However, if they don't check to see if it's street legal, then I suggest you go to an exhaust shop and just have one custom fabricated. It should cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 - $200.

In my opinion, I wouldn't worry about the cat-back. Focus on other things that you can change that will give you performance withouth sacrificing emissions (such as torque convertors, gears, tires, small turbos, suspension parts, air, rear axle, shift kits, performance tunes, the list goes on). If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have spent any money on the cat-back. It's a waste of money.

Quick Reply: SLP Loudmouth exhaust