LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

prolonging opti life

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prolonging opti life

ive been searching and searching for things to help keep the opti alive before i swap a new one in my car. So far ive read you can take the rotor screw out and tighten it back down with locktite and seal up the weatherpack connector with di-electric grease. has anyone ever used anykind of sealant around the whole opti to try and keep water from getting in?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dsmawd350
ive been searching and searching for things to help keep the opti alive before i swap a new one in my car. So far ive read you can take the rotor screw out and tighten it back down with locktite and seal up the weatherpack connector with di-electric grease. has anyone ever used anykind of sealant around the whole opti to try and keep water from getting in?
Yeah i have sealed the **** out of mine and never had a problem just use black RTV and you should never have a problem.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't use RTV. If any of it gets on the inside the high energy can heat it. The fumes could in theory harm the optical sensor much like RTV can kill 02 sensors. Even if you use 02 sensor safe RTV I am unsure of the interaction. So I wouldn't realy chance it. There is already a "seal" on the opti case as it is. If you drive smart and keep up with your car you shouldn't have a problem.
I changed my opti at 70K and it looked brand new. I was always carefull, replaced the water pump as soon as I saw it bearly drip once. etc etc.

Something else that can kill an opti is aftermarket coil and CD boxes
Old 06-15-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
I wouldn't use RTV. If any of it gets on the inside the high energy can heat it. The fumes could in theory harm the optical sensor much like RTV can kill 02 sensors. Even if you use 02 sensor safe RTV I am unsure of the interaction. So I wouldn't realy chance it. There is already a "seal" on the opti case as it is. If you drive smart and keep up with your car you shouldn't have a problem.
I changed my opti at 70K and it looked brand new. I was always carefull, replaced the water pump as soon as I saw it bearly drip once. etc etc.

Something else that can kill an opti is aftermarket coil and CD boxes
im running a msd blaster coil and i keep having opti problems you think i should swith back to a stock coil
Old 06-15-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it's up to you. some people run them fine, others have issues soon after the install. The higher energy seems to do 2 things.
1: more energy and high levels of ozone which can kill the optical sensor
2: more spark energy on the rotor and cap contacts can burn the contacts especialy the rotor. I have see the rotors get so carbon tracked it's not funny.

A lot like in the old HEI ignitions, if you didn't buy a stronger MSD rotor button when you installed the coil it would burn up the button. The same relationship could really be possible with our cars.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

well i guess its worth a shot. i swear i havent had an opti last over 2 months in my car since i bought it 6 months ago. ive been through 3 so far, but i believe they were used ones pulled off engines out of working cars and put on mine cause i was getting them put on cheap but they only lasted my about 2 months each. so im going with a brand new gm opti this time and want it to last. ill try switching back to a stock coil.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

used opti's are not worth it. Just hit up Jason cromer for a brand new one and never look back.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Default Opti-crap

any high performance coil or box like MSD 6AL will cause more heat than usual to build up in the distributor. and decrease the life of the opti. i have been told that the new cap and rotor kit from MSD is vented if you have 93 or early 94 that is unvented and could help a little. i am on my 4th distributor myself. the only way to guarantee you will not have to replace it again is to go with the Delteq system. it does not replace the opti but works with it. it takes the damage causing high energy out of the opti so the optical sensor is not damaged by that any more. there are lots of other benefits as well. it is well worth the money and i plan on getting one when i get the money. my current and 4th opti is on its way out again.
check out this link http://www.delteq.com/products.htm
Old 06-15-2005, 12:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
it's up to you. some people run them fine, others have issues soon after the install. The higher energy seems to do 2 things.
1: more energy and high levels of ozone which can kill the optical sensor
2: more spark energy on the rotor and cap contacts can burn the contacts especialy the rotor. I have see the rotors get so carbon tracked it's not funny.

A lot like in the old HEI ignitions, if you didn't buy a stronger MSD rotor button when you installed the coil it would burn up the button. The same relationship could really be possible with our cars.
I'm one of the guys that hasn't had a problem with mine. The car has 108,000 on it, and the only reason I had to replace the original is that the coil tower (plug) broke off. I have had the second one on it for 30,000 miles on it with a Crane HI-6 and a LX 92 coil. Never had a problem as of yet.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
I'm one of the guys that hasn't had a problem with mine. The car has 108,000 on it, and the only reason I had to replace the original is that the coil tower (plug) broke off. I have had the second one on it for 30,000 miles on it with a Crane HI-6 and a LX 92 coil. Never had a problem as of yet.

lucky bastard.
i have heard of poeple not having any problems with the opti. you are one of the few and far between. especially with aftermarket ignition. hope she keeps on keepen on for ya. you have any luck loto numbers too?
Old 06-15-2005, 03:05 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by quick93transam

lucky bastard.
i have heard of poeple not having any problems with the opti. you are one of the few and far between. especially with aftermarket ignition. hope she keeps on keepen on for ya. you have any luck loto numbers too?
Haha, that's about the only thing that I have had good luck with....I'm not a very lucky guy otherwise!!

Actually, I see it going out on my way home from work, just because I said something about it!!
Old 06-15-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quick93transam

lucky bastard.
i have heard of poeple not having any problems with the opti.
95' model with 130k, and a cam swap. also had a water line crack and totally soak the front of the engine, including the distributer. no problems so far. i think its all hype and people not knowing how to work on their own cars.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:18 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bandit 1
i think its all hype and people not knowing how to work on their own cars.
I totally believe this is false. Too many people have optis go bad that have never been off the car. Some are just luckier than others.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

exactly. It is far far far from hype. It's not just modded cars that have opti issues. If it was you would never see an LT1 driven by some lady come into a shop with a bad opti. You do, often actualy see just that. totaly stock cars with opti failures are not a myth.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

A majority of the opti failures result in the unvented versions. Not to mention people getting coolant inside of them because as well all know as much as you think it is the opti is not a sealed unit. Moisture/coolant can enter through the weatherpack connection and wreak havoc. Coolant doesn't evaporate as fast as water does so when you get coolant in the opti it stays for a much longer period spelling doom.. I know lots of people who power wash the crap out of their engines including the opti. (vented) After a few years it's still fine and working

matt
Old 06-15-2005, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Default Opti-crap

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
Haha, that's about the only thing that I have had good luck with....I'm not a very lucky guy otherwise!!

Actually, I see it going out on my way home from work, just because I said something about it!!
hopefully that will not happen. more power to you and all other problem free opti owners. at least the rest of us have delteq.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bandit 1
i think its all hype and people not knowing how to work on their own cars.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Launching!

So does the Delteq system replace the cap and rotor completely? I'm on the verge of ordering an entire new ignition for my Formula including a new AC Delco Opti, MSD Blaster coil, and a MSD 6AL. If the Delteq would replace the cap and rotor and end up being around the same price then I might as well go with that.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

No it still uses the opti for the optical sensor I believe, but it takes all the high voltage current out of it. So technically you need a working opti to use the delteq..

Matt
Old 06-16-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you need a working optical sensor. But the cap and rotor can be trashed since it's not used. The optical sensor fires the remotly mounted coils instead of one coil fireing through the opti.

Quick Reply: prolonging opti life