LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Header Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Maintenance?

I dropped off my car at the mechanic shop today, to get my coated pacesetter LT's installed, with the matching Y-pipe. (I didn't want to screw anything up, so I figured I should get it professionally done) Anyway, I'm planning on keeping this car for a pretty long time. So, I wanted to get some headers that would be good and last a long time. I figured coated was the best choice, am I right? Also, how long do they last? I hope they last a long time, because I don't want to be wasting my money, you know? Is there anything I can do to maintain them longer, or perhaps for the cars life? I also went with the "copper" header gaskets, instead of the cheap paper ones. Was that a good idea? (They didn't have any other type, except copper in stock) I figured over time the paper would burn or something. Those header gaskets came with some washers, so I shouldn't have to worry about the bolts coming loose. I just wanted some information on what I should do and if it was a good choice. (An estimate of how long they last. Longer than the stock?)

Also, I was thinking about getting an LT4 knock module tomorrow and having it put on also. Should I do that as well, or is it something that doesn't "need" to be done right away? I just want everything to go over smoothly. What do you guys think, be honest. Thanks

-Jay
Old 09-22-2005, 11:57 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well now ppl are saying that paces are going to rust and burn flakes off of the coating, i dont know why they would say coated if there not going to last........Camaro Owner did you get the armour coated off pacestters website, if not were did youget your LTs
Old 09-23-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

*edit*

I'm an idiot.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bawls
*edit*

I'm an idiot.

LOL

Old 09-23-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Regular

Camaro Owner
You can put in the knock module yourself. Dont pay anybody to do it. It consists of unbolting two bolts, lifting the ecu out of its little spot, unscrewing three screws on the cover, popping of the cover, pop out the old knock module, and pop in your new one. Then just put the ecu back and screw it down. It honestly takes 10 minutes.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol, I know that. He wouldn't charge me for that anyway. Sorry, I must have worded that wrong. What I mean is, is it necessary for me to get it soon? I was thinking about getting tomorrow and putting in right after I get them. I don't care if the mechanic does it or not. I know him pretty well though. Any other information about how long the *coated* pacesetters last and maintenance options.

I got my pacesetter Lt's from byunspeed.com. He has good prices and free shipping. Take a look.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any have any suggestions?
Old 09-23-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could have put your headers in by yourself too...you wouldn't have screwed anything up. Coated isn't for rusting, it's for heat transfer and keeping your engine bay more cool.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Teching In

John Deer Exhaust Paint is good enough for me
Old 09-23-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blind527
You could have put your headers in by yourself too...you wouldn't have screwed anything up. Coated isn't for rusting, it's for heat transfer and keeping your engine bay more cool.
I asked the guy from byunspeed and he said they will not rust for a long time. He said the painted ones start to rust in the first 6 months. He also told me the coated should last a long time. I just want second opinons.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah man
I would get a knock module, but i wouldnt be in a big hurry
If you want to save $20 get it at gmpartsdirect.com, or you can pay like $65 from a dealer.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
I asked the guy from byunspeed and he said they will not rust for a long time. He said the painted ones start to rust in the first 6 months. He also told me the coated should last a long time. I just want second opinons.
They won't rust for a long time, but they aren't MADE to not rust.

Quick Reply: Header Maintenance?