LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

timing troubles

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing troubles

hey guys im almost done with project banshee, i need some help on how to correctly time the optispark on my formula, im open to any and all suggestions about timing and such...i also am looking to install a full on msd ignition system but im cerious as to what equipment i need .
Old 10-19-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure youre timing chain is intalled dot to dot and the timing on the distibuter(opti) is just about fool proof. It can really only go on one way correctly. What year is your car? 92-94 LT1's have a splined driveshaft that goes from the middle of the cam gear to the back of the opti. 95-97's are driven by the cam dowel pin that goes through the cam sproket and into the back of the opti.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

What year and what is the extent of your mods?
Old 10-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Default formula

its a 1994 firebird formula banshee edition. it was timedwhen the engine was put to gether,. can the harmonic balancer hub being put on at tdc have any thing to do with it only backfireing and not turning over.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Veteran

If it was timed when you put the engine back together, then why is it now out of time? Did you move the rotating assembly with the opti off? It is definitely out of time if so. With a 94, put your spline/key at the 9:00 position. Make sure you are on the compression stroke (#1 cyl at TDC). Have a friend move the crank around while you hold your thumb over the plug hole on #1. When you feel compression, make sure your key is at 9:00 and then you're timed, bolt up and go!
Old 10-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Teching In

ok i was at school and i took the opti off and set the opti on tdc but im not exactly sure of what is there to match up, the car only backfires and dosent crank. if u have any more ideas please let me Know...thans
Old 10-23-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bansheeracer33572
ok i was at school and i took the opti off and set the opti on tdc but im not exactly sure of what is there to match up, the car only backfires and dosent crank. if u have any more ideas please let me Know...thans
You don't have it timed right. Trust me I know. Take the shaft out of the opti and roll it around between your thumb and index finger. Look closely and you will see a wide spot unlike the rest of the spline pattern. This is your key/slot/whatever. Crawl under the car and look right up to the hole as if you were looking through a key hole. You will see the slot where this slides in. Now follow the procedure I described, #1 at TDC, the slot at 9:00. Then you bolt up and you're ready to rock.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhdenney
You don't have it timed right. Trust me I know. Take the shaft out of the opti and roll it around between your thumb and index finger. Look closely and you will see a wide spot unlike the rest of the spline pattern. This is your key/slot/whatever. Crawl under the car and look right up to the hole as if you were looking through a key hole. You will see the slot where this slides in. Now follow the procedure I described, #1 at TDC, the slot at 9:00. Then you bolt up and you're ready to rock.
To add to this, if the timing chain wasnt installed dot to dot, he could "time" the opti correctly 1000 times and it still wouldnt be right. Id start with the with the opti driveshaft and then if thats alright, Id look into the timing chain being installed correctly.

EDIT---but, if he does what you said and #1 is at TDC and the slot isnt at 9 o'clock, then he'd know its the chain installed correctly so youre right. I like to do things the hard way. The more work the better.

Quick Reply: timing troubles