LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

This forum makes me feel like i made a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ wow, most uneducated statement evAr.. no offence, but that's a little off... it's not about how many parts you throw in... it's about matching right parts together... and also, cams do come in different sizes you know... if both cars have the same type of cam.. it would be somewhat similar...
Old 12-12-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread is pretty amusing. There is quite a bit of BS being flung around here.

First and foremost, if you can't drive, you can't win a race. Learn to drive and get the most out of what you have.

Do you wanna win races or do you wanna make lots of power? These questions have very different answers.

Wanna race? Auto, stall, gears, tire, suspension.

Wanna make lots of power and race from a roll (because neither you nor they can drive :p)? Spend lots of money.

Want both? Spend lots more money.

Ryan
Old 12-12-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Saad06 is right, its not the parts listed on an invoice, its matching the parts together to get a great combo.
The car is a machine, each part has to work in concert with the other parts to pull off a great combo. I think GM did a good job with mine, I just had to get all the excess out of it.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love my LT1 and would drive it over an LS1 anyday, and it will take more for you to get your LT1 since it has to start with less advanced technology (worse flowing heads, smaller cam, etc) but once you start modding everything starts to even out. dont be discouraged! the LT1 rules all!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Saad06
^^ wow, most uneducated statement evAr.. no offence, but that's a little off... it's not about how many parts you throw in... it's about matching right parts together... and also, cams do come in different sizes you know... if both cars have the same type of cam.. it would be somewhat similar...

This isn't true. If both cars have similar cams, then the LS1 will still maintain it's 30-50rwhp advantage. The LS1's have much better stock heads. The LS1's also have better aftermarket head options(ETP's 11 degree heads). Besides the heads, the LS1 is also lighter. The LS1 is hard to beat, but you can make any car fast if you put enough money into it. I wouldn't feel bad having an LT1 if I was you. You can build it to be as fast as you want. I almost bought an LT1, and wouldn't mind having one.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Don't feel bad...

I got my first car(LT1) and thought that I'd rather have an LS1.

Well I just recently heard an LS1 in person... it sounded... less than desirable

Those LS1s are hard to make sound good compared to the LT1. True duals is about the only thing that helps(and even then it's not quite as *right* sounding).
Old 12-12-2005, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

You can make any GM V8 powerful with the right amount of money and parts. Its just easier to do with the LS1 since the heads are much better. Drivability on large cammed LS1s is also better than large cammed LT1s, thats one good advantage when discussing street cars.

Its all in the heads, put a good set of heads on an LT1 and it will make good power too.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sharpe
I'll admit, I miss the sound of my LT1 and the throw-your-head-back low-end response, and the operation of the cable driven clutch.

cable driven clutch??
Old 12-12-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yup... heads are a good idea for LT1s... im starting from the top down on my engine... increasing all airflow.. port/polish intake/TB, headers back.. soon to have p&p'd heads or some other new ones..

one advantage the Lt1 has is the cast iron block... it can hold alot more nitrous with stock internals.

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
This isn't true. If both cars have similar cams, then the LS1 will still maintain it's 30-50rwhp advantage. The LS1's have much better stock heads. The LS1's also have better aftermarket head options(ETP's 11 degree heads). Besides the heads, the LS1 is also lighter. The LS1 is hard to beat, but you can make any car fast if you put enough money into it. I wouldn't feel bad having an LT1 if I was you. You can build it to be as fast as you want. I almost bought an LT1, and wouldn't mind having one.

you can't really base two cars the same.. you have to know the supporting mods, aggression of the tuning.. etc. there is a really slim chance of a LT1 with perticular cam/tuning/mods will have the SAME mods as an LS1... if there was.. i would like to see the race myself.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think when you take cost of the car out of the equation its silly NOT to go LS1, but for many the buy-in for the LS1 cars is still high.

LS1 is the superior motor but the LT1 does have some advantages, along with some disadvantages.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
I think when you take cost of the car out of the equation its silly NOT to go LS1, but for many the buy-in for the LS1 cars is still high.

LS1 is the superior motor but the LT1 does have some advantages, along with some disadvantages.
exactly...

end of another LS1 v. LT1 conv.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dragframe
seriously.
I bought a LT1.

And after hearing people talk about the lt1 like it cant beat the ls1 for ****, i feel like i should up and sell my car.

Personaly i think trick flow heads, intake ported to match heads, and a matching cam i could eat an LS1. The car would then be ON PAR with a ls1.

THe ls1 has a few advantages.... these include lighter (aluminum), bigger cam, really good flowing ******* heads.

So if i even the playing field out will i fell better bout my car or in the end, am i still wasting my time on this car?

I do have a full motor build planed... but this summer i want to go tear up a lil before i really dig into the motor. So heads cam and ported intake with tune is the plan. Will the LS1s still bother me?
We have built many LT1's that beat LS1 cars, it can be done. Check out 93Z on this site he has one.
I'd be happy to go over what you'd need, we have head and cam packages, complete motors all built to order.
Give me a call or PM, ask for Harold
512-257-0222
Old 12-12-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

What if you built a LT1 and did the head conversion? And then built the Ls1. I think it evens it out right there.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

well im looking to spend about $2200 on the heads and cam.... this enough to have my otherwise stock a4 lt1 put down a m6 ls1? There are very few f-bodies in this town, and i want to be the fastest (they are all pretty much stock.. so aint no thing... shouldn't be anyways). but i also want the heads to be the best i can get for hte money....

Im not to awfull worried baout streetablity....as long as the car runs and starts everytime... i consider it very streetable. .LOL. And I always seem to start from a 4000 rpm first gear roll... so traction shouldn't be TOO awfull big a deal.

so about $2200.. what cam and heads?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

yup... heads are a good idea for LT1s... im starting from the top down on my engine... increasing all airflow.. port/polish intake/TB, headers back.. soon to have p&p'd heads or some other new ones..

one advantage the Lt1 has is the cast iron block... it can hold alot more nitrous with stock internals.

you can't really base two cars the same.. you have to know the supporting mods, aggression of the tuning.. etc. there is a really slim chance of a LT1 with perticular cam/tuning/mods will have the SAME mods as an LS1... if there was.. i would like to see the race myself.
I assume you are talking to yourself.
QUOTE:if both cars have the same type of cam.. it would be somewhat similar...

An LS1 vs. LT1 with similar cams will= LS1>LT1. You seem knowledgeable so I'm not telling you anything new.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
You can make any GM V8 powerful with the right amount of money and parts. Its just easier to do with the LS1 since the heads are much better. Drivability on large cammed LS1s is also better than large cammed LT1s, thats one good advantage when discussing street cars.

Its all in the heads, put a good set of heads on an LT1 and it will make good power too.

But the driveability issue goes back to the heads. Better the head the less cam you need.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

who cares if u can beat an ls1. i have more fun dicking around on emity streets by myself then racing!!!! (unless is kicking import ***!!!...lol)
Old 12-12-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

benchracing!

highest dynoing bolt ons:
LT1: high 320s
LS1: 360s

highest dynoing cam only w/ bolt ons:
LT1: 360s
LS1: 450

its all based on what the user wants. I think the LS1 is leaps and bounds better than the LT1. Reason: aftermarket. our poor LT1 has a small aftermarket look at FAST, AFR (even though they have LT1 heads), ET performance, and so on.
if you want big power relatively easily go with an LS1. the LT1 will get there too it takes a little more work.

youre not alone in feeling like you made a mistake. I feel like I did too. thats why my car is being torn apart and returned to stock then sold. I feel stupid when I tell someone what I have done to my car and then follow with "it ran a 12.6 @ 109." of course parts breakage, general bad luck, and changing my money spending priorities have made it so I wont ever hit my goal of 11s with the car.

and my car DID sound damn good, better than any LS1 ive ever heard.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

but i dont care about sound... if an car sounds worse... but kciks my ***... doesn't really matter does it? lol... though i do plan on buying a LS1 vette in about 2 years... so maybe i should just not sweat it... this is my dream car minus the fact it dont have the new front end or LS1
Old 12-12-2005, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Why all of the LT vs LS crap anyway? Why not unite all fbodies and beat down on the Stangs!

I hear the same crap from my cousin who just bought a 02 Z. My car has most of the bolt ons and I kick his ***. Partially driver but you get the idea. I've seen stock LS1's at the track run from 13.0 to 14.0 and stock LT1's run 13.8 to 14.5. The average seeems to be LS 13.4 LT 14.0. The only thing I envy a LS for is NO OPTI!

Quick Reply: This forum makes me feel like i made a mistake