LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

This forum makes me feel like i made a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep hearing how a LS1 has a bigger cam but I was always told it actually had a smaller cam and made power by taking advantage of the heads. And I was also always told that an average LT1 aftermarket cam would be really big if put in an LS1.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

a vette would be a great day to day.. and then i could still do my full build on my LT1 motor. But i wont have a vette for a couple years.. soo :-/ ... thinking heads ($1400), cam ($500?), port matched intake ($??? how much ya think???). OF course i will have to have the PCM tuned.. but that is a given. Possibly injectors.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:13 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
I keep hearing how a LS1 has a bigger cam but I was always told it actually had a smaller cam and made power by taking advantage of the heads. And I was also always told that an average LT1 aftermarket cam would be really big if put in an LS1.
the lt1 has like a .447 lift and the 98-99 ls1's have something in the ballpark of .497 lift
Old 12-14-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I agree....Buy an LS1 and come play on the winning team!
Old 12-14-2005, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Yeah, I agree....Buy an LS1 and come play on the winning team!
Or keep your LT1 and let ls1s think they are on the winning team and be the underdog its alot more fun beating the **** out of ignorant people than those who expect to lose... Not saying that all ls1 owners are like that, but there are alot of stupid ones out there that are board ****** and think lt1s suck cuz they read it... The ultimate best thing ever is actually pulling on a heads/cam ls1 up top in your lt1 and watching their face as your 10 year old motor goes by them

I dont think half the lt1 owners understand how frickin cheap and easy it is to hit 11s then just spray the way to the 10s or maybe thats just me
Old 12-14-2005, 06:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there's no bad cars, just crappy mechanics.
its a shame you don't know my dad, who worked with me on everything done to the car, you would retract that statement.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:31 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97M6Formula
Or keep your LT1 and let ls1s think they are on the winning team and be the underdog its alot more fun beating the **** out of ignorant people than those who expect to lose... Not saying that all ls1 owners are like that, but there are alot of stupid ones out there that are board ****** and think lt1s suck cuz they read it... The ultimate best thing ever is actually pulling on a heads/cam ls1 up top in your lt1 and watching their face as your 10 year old motor goes by them

I dont think half the lt1 owners understand how frickin cheap and easy it is to hit 11s then just spray the way to the 10s or maybe thats just me
Yeah... well i do want to avoid spray though. It is way to popular around here and it would be nice to beat up on everyone wihtout any. So H/C, intake, and a S/C... lol.. where ever that my land me may be my plan for now.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

I skipped a couple of pages but pretty much get what everyone is saying. LS1, LT1, even the first gen chevy can all run fast. In the end it comes down to money invested, mechanical know how, racing experience.

From a stock stand point, LS1 hands down. From a cost of build, first gen small block. For a great bang for your buck a early 90's LT1 Camaro can be had for $5K in great shape and for the price difference in it and lets say a $10K LS1 anything, I could use the money run all over any LS1. Anyone could. So at the end of the day it goes back to what I said earlier. It comes down to money invested, mechanical know how, racing experience.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97M6Formula

that's a great frickin response. some of my friends have ls1's, thank god they don't have that "ls1 holier than thou" mentality. thats one thing that pisses me off on this board.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zigroid
I never said LT1s are junk, I said the LS1 is a better engine to start with.

MY OWN LT1 is junk, and im not crying, just saying what ive gone through with mine. you want me to cry? heres my best shot: where should I start? Hmmm, well It gets about 7-8 mpg. 10 with alot of highway driving. the POS leaks oil all over, which we just built the engine with all new gaskets! when I go to my friends houses I have to bring a piece of cardboard along to slide under the car so it doesnt leave a nice oil slick in their driveway. Ive tightened all the oil pan bolts, timing cover bolts. Still leaks. it only pulls 6 inches of vacuum at idle and the cam isnt THAT big. there are NO vacuum leaks, we've looked for them. hoses leak, sensors fail left and right. the $500 torque converter just self destructed and took out my $1000 rebuilt tranny. its a never ending cycle of failing parts. I'm so sick and tired of it. It IS the car. I have a 1968 bonneville that was my first car (read: got the **** beat out of it) and it never gave me any problems. never left me sat stranded somewhere. my firebird has left me sit at least 3 different occasions. and when my firebird went down most recently for the last time, guess what car I fall back to once again? my old bonneville. maybe I should work with that. As of now im done with the firebird, its getting returned to stock and sold. I hope I never see it again after I sell it too.
If what you are saying is true then it's obvious that your car has issues. The point you are not getting is that the car is not at fault. Like the man said, bad mechanics not bad car from factory. With that said I would still keep the car and fix it right. It would be cheaper than going the LS1 route. Not only that you car looks better than an LS1. If you still think it's junk then just give it to me and I'll show you what it can do.

Or you can buy an LS1 and I'll let you choose which LT1 car of mine you want to get beaten by. Even my 9C1 at well over 4000# raceweight has beaten many a LS1.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Bad Seller Warning!

i agree.... i think it makes beating LS1's that much more of an expierience because when u pull up to a light with them... they just think they are better than you cuz their car is a couple years newer i usually keep up with the LS1's... im sure their stock but thats ok.... my 383 will b in soon and then well see how they do =)
Old 12-14-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

By reading everyone's responses I don't know which attitude is more prevalent: Cocky LS1 owners or LT1 owners with an inferiority complex. They both suck.................
Old 12-14-2005, 02:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
By reading everyone's responses I don't know which attitude is more prevalent: Cocky LS1 owners or LT1 owners with an inferiority complex. They both suck.................

Old 12-14-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not only that you car looks better than an LS1. If you still think it's junk then just give it to me and I'll show you what it can do.
She does look good the body is in good condition for 135,000 miles. if it wasnt for a damn deer I would have factory paint on all panels too!

I would love to see what my combo can do. I built it expecting mid 11s at close to 120 when she was properly dialed in along with an adequate suspension and rear. This is partly the reason why I am selling to someone who lives close by and can put the engine in the car it deserves to be in (6 speed with LTs and true duals, not my auto with mac mids, cat, and slp loudmouth.)

I guess I do retract some of my previous statements, I will be sad to see it go. It was a great reliable car till I started heavily modding it. When I do sell it I wont be getting an LS1 soon after. Im a poor college student lol, I really need some money to pay for college. If I keep this car I will go broke becuase I can't not put money into it. I was SO close to buying a 12 bolt rear with college money I saved and putting my tuition bill on my credit card.

Sorry if I offended any of you big dog fast LT1s, guess I got a little frustrated because my path to get there was too rough and I chickened out along the way.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Teching In

the biggest issue with the LT1 - LS1 comparison,is that most people tend to forget that the LT1's they've drivin are old,and have been beaten for years,and not properly maintaind. and the LS1's are still pretty new and have taken less abuse. so in general,they might be faster. i'm the 2nd owner of my LT1,and i've known the guy since before he bought it,so i know all about my car,since before it was mine. synthetic every 2K miles,since break-in. and it'll beat any similarly modded LS1 i've encounterd...
Old 12-14-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

My lt1 6 speed with a cai and a cutout was running low-mid 13s at 104-105mph with 80k on the clock... You just need a good running LT1 that hasnt been beaten too bad and its really not too far off.. I wish I had both cars but I can do pretty much anything on my lt1 blind folded which makes me not really care about going to a ls1
Old 12-14-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FormulaV8A4
the biggest issue with the LT1 - LS1 comparison,is that most people tend to forget that the LT1's they've drivin are old,and have been beaten for years,and not properly maintaind. and the LS1's are still pretty new and have taken less abuse. so in general,they might be faster. i'm the 2nd owner of my LT1,and i've known the guy since before he bought it,so i know all about my car,since before it was mine. synthetic every 2K miles,since break-in. and it'll beat any similarly modded LS1 i've encounterd(key word)...
So all it takes to beat an LS1 is to drive an LT1 that hasn't been beaten on? Just disregard the 40+ extra rwhp of the lighter LS1 huh? Yeah, I guess you're right...they are pretty much identical in respect to performance?!? My car wasn't beat on when I bought it, and I pulled on a new C6 when I was stock. Guess my car stock was as fast as a C6. Atleast the ones I've encountered....
Old 12-14-2005, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by FormulaV8A4
it'll beat any similarly modded LS1 i've encounterd...
The LS1 with the same mods will always, if properly tuned on an equal playing field, make more power by virture of the head design. The reason you beat them is that you are probably a better driver. .3-.6 at the track seems huge but all it takes is a bad 60', slow shift, bad launch, poorly setup suspension or a driver that just plain sux and you can make that deficit up. The LS1 will be faster unless you have done head work to your LT1 plain and simple.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:58 PM
9 Second Club

ok.. so what do you guys say to this. Trick Flow heads. Cam (SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST ONE). roller rockers. long tube headers with full exhaust (suggestion on headers someone??), and a Vortech s/c with about 6-7 psi (unless you guys know of similairly priced turbo setup... i would like a tubro setup, jsut not remote mount)?

Ok.. for my questions regarding this suggested set up. Will i need injectors? Fuel pump? And since i have to send my PCM to get tuned for the cam and heads, can i get it tuned for the boost so i dont have to use that junk "Fuel Managment Unit" crap?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

It is more fun being the "underdog" and then going out there and spanking some LS1 butt with your good ole LT1. I really enjoy whipping up on a lot of unsuspecting LS1s.

However the attention is usually directed towards whooping some Mustang Cobra ***.

Quick Reply: This forum makes me feel like i made a mistake