LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil sending unit location?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 01:20 PM
jst
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil sending unit location?

I had my cutout installed today and the welder told me that I was leaking oil from somewhere high on the engine,and he asked me if my oil pressure fluxuated much,well it does and he suggested I look into replacing the oil sending unit.Where is it?How much do they run?How hard is it to replace?Do I need to have the car up in the air to replace it or can I get to it from the top?thanks
Old 01-02-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Veteran

It's straight back behind the valve cover on the driver side. It's about 2 inches long and sticks straight up in the air. It's easy broken. I've never tried changing it in the car, I replaced mine while I had the engine out anyway. It's a booger. It's tight in there and with limited space, I would say it would be difficult. There's no way to get it from the bottom. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jst
I had my cutout installed today and the welder told me that I was leaking oil from somewhere high on the engine,and he asked me if my oil pressure fluxuated much,well it does and he suggested I look into replacing the oil sending unit.Where is it?How much do they run?How hard is it to replace?Do I need to have the car up in the air to replace it or can I get to it from the top?thanks
Are you sure it's not a intake leak? They tend to leak over time.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:11 PM
jst
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
Are you sure it's not a intake leak? They tend to leak over time.
Thats what I asked the guy who put the cutout on.He said he has seen a bunch of the gaskets leak but this 1 seems to be leaking more than any of the others he has done.He also asked if the oil gauge fluctuated and after I said yes he told me too change out the oil sending unit first.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:12 PM
jst
On The Tree

Anyone ever change it while in the car?What all was involved?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

i have the same problem while im driving the pressure stays up but when i get on the brakes to stop my oil pressure drops all the way off and my check gauges light comes on but after i sit for a second the pressure comes back up and the light goes back off nothing serious but very irritating and i would like to know how to fix it ill take it to a shop if i have to but i think i might be able to do it just did a 6 speed swap into my bird so it cant be to much worse than that i hope
Old 01-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not every year had it located at the top of the eng. Some are located on the drivers side of the block down by the filter. Just take a flash light and a mirror and look for the leak.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BeaversTA
Not every year had it located at the top of the eng. Some are located on the drivers side of the block down by the filter. Just take a flash light and a mirror and look for the leak.
Yup, I think the 93's only had them by the filter. I think the rest of the year's have them behind the intake. You can use either one but the one behind the intake takes the pressure reading from the motor instead of the one below that takes the reading after the filter.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:40 PM
jst
On The Tree

How difficult is it to change with the motor in the car?Anyone do this?
Old 01-03-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jst
How difficult is it to change with the motor in the car?Anyone do this?
If its behind the intake it's going to be a pain in the *** because there isn't alot of room to swivel to screw it in. I'm not exactly sure if you can since I've never changed one in the car.

Quick Reply: Oil sending unit location?