LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Comp "R" lifters yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Comp "R" lifters yay or nay

I have a brand new set of comp "r" lifters that i was going to put in my motor ive checked several forums and checked with comp from what im understanding the bad wrap is people using non udjustable valve train on the LSx series motors and that what cause the lifter failure if anyone has had a problem with these lifters with a LTx style motor with adjustable valve train please let me know.Also ive done a search and i cant find any pics of the old style and new style comp "r" clips that retain the lifter together link me a pic or where to get on to determine if the lifters i have are old or new style the guy that i bought them from had them laying around for awhile
Old 01-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, they fall apart on a LT motor as well if you adjust the valvetrain for best power.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine lasted less than 1000 miles. Had one come apart. Using my stock lifters for now. Going to the Morel lifter as recommended by SSTROKERACE ( Bret ). A little pricey but well worth the money. I have found them at Thunder racing. Is there any place else to find them?
HVY SS
Old 01-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

I found these pics on another board. This is what the new Comp r's look like. It's the the one on the right, the other one is a stock lifter(the retaining clip is alot thicker on the stock one)
I couln't find a pic of the "good" Comp r's but I've heard that there gold in color while the bad ones are silver(don't know for certain though, sorry ).
Hope this helps
Old 01-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Banned

As far as I can tell nobody has the LS1/LT1 drop in Morel's in stock.... Check out Cstraubs thread in LS1tech.

Sent you a PM on the other board Frank.

Bret
Old 01-08-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a set of the good ones and I have to do my heads soon anyway so I will take a pic of the rs when I take them out
Old 01-09-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97M6Formula
I have a set of the good ones and I have to do my heads soon anyway so I will take a pic of the rs when I take them out
thanks how soon are you doing this??
Old 01-09-2006, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dang I was over at CZ28 last night and they have a huge thread covering this Stickyed in the number one spot of tech. It is a good read
Old 01-09-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey thanks for the info
Old 01-09-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

I have a set of the old Comp Cams R lifters with the "good" retainer. Is there a way to tell wether these lifters are still good? The look fine, but is there a way to check if the spring inside is still good? I dont want to send them to Comp Cams. They were on my Hot Cam for less than 2 thousand miles, but I changed to new ones with my new cam, prior to knowing about the crappiness of the new ones.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you know i went over to the other forum and looked at the whole thread i decided to pull my lifters out of the box and i do have the crappy retainer style,but i did notice ther is a groove cut in the lifter so you could use the old style clip or clips out of a stock set of lifters im going to pop one out of my stockers and see if it will work
Old 01-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Dang I was over at CZ28 last night and they have a huge thread covering this Stickyed in the number one spot of tech. It is a good read
Yeah they do . Thats were I got the pic I posted.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve40th
I have a set of the old Comp Cams R lifters with the "good" retainer. Is there a way to tell wether these lifters are still good? The look fine, but is there a way to check if the spring inside is still good? I dont want to send them to Comp Cams. They were on my Hot Cam for less than 2 thousand miles, but I changed to new ones with my new cam, prior to knowing about the crappiness of the new ones.

The new comp R's will not accept a stock C clip. Its been attemped before. I have a set of what people call the bad comp r's. I have had them in for half a year and not had a single problem. This is how I set them up. I set them in oil for about a week before install. I installed them, and set them to zero lash. Just tight enough so you are sure they will not come off during warm up. Started the motor up, and kept the valve covers off to keep and eye on everything. Once the motor was fully warm, I again set them to zero lash. With this setup you with have a very slight preload when the motor is cold, and zero lash when warm. From what I have seen no or very very little preload is the only way they will live.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by foggedz
The new comp R's will not accept a stock C clip. Its been attemped before. I have a set of what people call the bad comp r's. I have had them in for half a year and not had a single problem. This is how I set them up. I set them in oil for about a week before install. I installed them, and set them to zero lash. Just tight enough so you are sure they will not come off during warm up. Started the motor up, and kept the valve covers off to keep and eye on everything. Once the motor was fully warm, I again set them to zero lash. With this setup you with have a very slight preload when the motor is cold, and zero lash when warm. From what I have seen no or very very little preload is the only way they will live.
Uh, I didnt ask to replace the clip, that was somoene else. I just wanted to see if someone could tell me a way to check if the CompR's I have are still good. They are the old ones with the good clips already. And they didnt have many miles on them with the Hot Cam. Is there a way to check that they are stilll good? The springs inside? Pressure.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry i quoted the wrong message. As long as your dont have any abnormal valve train noise they should be fine.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by foggedz
Sorry i quoted the wrong message. As long as your dont have any abnormal valve train noise they should be fine.
Yea, I was thinking the same, as I may want to replace the newer ones that are in there now. I am only concerned of the sprigns within the lifters.

Quick Reply: Comp "R" lifters yay or nay