LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 vs. Ls1

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 01:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my 96 Z28 with only K&N, Cutout, Pulley, 1le bellow, and some other small stuff I beat 2000 SS.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Exactly my point.

For Example look at 97blkz's car 11second LT4. Thats bad ***. But I suppose he should quit his project and get an LS1 and run a second faster with the same setup? LT1s ARE fast LS1 ARE fast. Have you ever taken a ride in a low 13 second car? Its a god damn bullet. Needless to say whatever your goals are set at im sure you can reach them with either motor.

And "boning" britney is gay, have you seen Kevin Federline?
Good Call though......

Tony.
LS1s are fast. No argument. BUT, with a little work and the rite mods, so are the LT1s. I take a HUGE amount of pride and enjoyment from working on my car. All the work and mods done to my car has been done by me. (do you hear the horn blowing) The first time to the track and on the first pass the car ran 13.1 with a 1.88 60 ft. with a crappy exhaust, stock TB and a HOT day. But the grin on my face told the story when I drove by a few LS1s on the way to the traps! LT1 might not be the newest technology, but its good technology. And a well built LT1 can be pretty damn quick. No argument.

Mec
Old 04-22-2006, 06:13 AM
TECH Addict

I cant understand for the life of me why people, LT1 people wont just accept the fact that MOD FOR MOD the LS1 wins everytime. We sound like ricers when we say well all we need is this this and this to keep up and or be faster than a stock LS1.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
I cant understand for the life of me why people, LT1 people wont just accept the fact that MOD FOR MOD the LS1 wins everytime. We sound like ricers when we say well all we need is this this and this to keep up and or be faster than a stock LS1.
Is that directed at me? I think you need to re read my post. I KNOW mod for mod LS1s are faster. The valve train and head design is increadable. YES they make more power. My point is a well built LT1 car IS fast. The outcome of a race all depends on driver skill and what you happen to line up against. If you have built your car well your chanches on winning heads up increase. Argue with that! And dont insult the LT1/4 crowd by saying we sound like ricers!! Please remember the forum you just posted in. Comments like that might cause this thread to get out of hand. Remember, this site exsits because we are not ricers.

Mec

Last edited by Greaseymec; 04-22-2006 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Greaseymec
If that is directed at me? I think you need to re read my post. I KNOW mod for mod LS1s are faster. The valve train and head design is increadable. YES they make more power.
Wasnt really directed at you but to everyone as a whole but if you want to take it that way ok then lets go.
My point is a well built LT1 car IS fast. The outcome of a race all depends on driver skill and what you happen to line up against. If you have built your car well your chanches on winning heads up increase. Argue with that!
My point was you could build both but mod for mod the LS1 will still make more power. Re-read what I wrote.

And dont insult the LT1/4 crowd by saying we sound like ricers!! Comments like that might cause this thread to get out of hand. Remember, this site exsits because we are not ricers.

Mec
I dint insult anyone. I'm just sick of someone saying well if you just spray it youll be faster than the other car stock or just do this and youll be faster than your stock opponent. Of course you will, you should be. But what happens when the other guy with the more advacned motor does the same thing? Threads like this always get out of control. Has in the past and will continue to do so because LTX guys get butthurt when it comes to the LSX. Stopping taking what I say out of context. I'm not the bad guy. I like the LT1. I HAVE a built LT1. I just live in the real world and in the real world the LSX > *.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:04 AM
11 Second Club

I think I agreed with you. I didnt post here to start an argument. But from reading what and how you just posted, you did. I'm done.

Mec
Old 04-22-2006, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

If we agree there is no argument. There is a difference between argument and discussion. No need to be upset done. I value everyones opinion
Old 04-22-2006, 09:26 AM
10 Second Club

If an lt1 guy wants to compete vs the ls1 crowd he has to get the best heads avaialable, this is our biggest challenge. If you do that then throw all advantages out the window. But not too many have the coin to do so. The right heads and a hogan intake and it's game on , no matter what the application. Ls1 heads are amazing in stock form , but now we see ls7 heads and we all weep.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 97blkz
If an lt1 guy wants to compete vs the ls1 crowd he has to get the best heads avaialable, this is our biggest challenge. If you do that then throw all advantages out the window. But not too many have the coin to do so. The right heads and a hogan intake and it's game on , no matter what the application. Ls1 heads are amazing in stock form , but now we see ls7 heads and we all weep.
i made my choice with the ls1 jump
to each his own i say
my turbo ls1 will feature ported ls6 heads with a 8:1SCR
and victor intake and twin reworked t61 turbos upgraded compressor and turbine wheels
it should make good power
Old 04-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

when i drove my friends stock ls1 it felt so damn slow, i thought for sure i would rape him good with the mods in my sig. i only beat him by a car lenth or so. i was shocked. i drove his car again and even though it felt slow, i looked down at the speedo and i was at 70 mph allready.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silverlt1ss
when i drove my friends stock ls1 it felt so damn slow, i thought for sure i would rape him good with the mods in my sig. i only beat him by a car lenth or so. i was shocked. i drove his car again and even though it felt slow, i looked down at the speedo and i was at 70 mph allready.
Yea that happened to me. I was looking for a car and I saw a 00 Z28 M6 in the paper. So I went and test drove it. I was really dissapointed. My uncle had a 93 Z28 and man it felt punchy, well I kept looking and found a 97 WS6 M6(which I bought) and I drove it, man the smile on my face wouldnt go away, I was going up the freeway on ramp and almost every shift the tail would kinda just pop a little sideways. I love my car, but I know what you mean, the LS1 cars just dont feel the same, like your driving a V6 or something, I mean I know they are fast but its just weird.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

the power is more "refined"... the LT1s are more raw so they feel punchier... in general i love LT1s as a whole engine and besides the crappy opti its a pretty tough motor
Old 04-22-2006, 11:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter

your very wrong in that statment... mod for mod stock maybe.... as in nothing internal.. but one you dig int othe internals... we are talking a whole different story
Old 04-22-2006, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

You guys do all realize that LT1s and LS1s have the EXACT SAME POTENTIAL TO BE FAST MOTORS! There is nothing special or magical about LS1s that allows them to bend the laws of physics and make more than their displacement will allow.

I posted a thread not long ago about a buildup where they replaced the parts on a '97 to be closer to what an '02 came with from the factory, and guess what? It made the exact same power the LS1 did...

For the last ******* time.. THE LT1 AND THE LS1 HAVE THE EXACT SAME POTENTIAL!! Once you weigh out all the money options, it's CHEAPER to buy an LT1 car and put it in the 11s than it is to buy an LS1 and put it in the 11s. The only reason I even considered buying an LS1 was because most have lower miles. Then I found this one for 5.5k with 53k on the odo and the deal was sealed within an hour. I didn't hesitate to buy this over the LS1 because there's nothing special about an LS1 at all - besides some sort of mystical fan boy knowledge that it's god's motor. For the $5k more I woulda spent on an LS1 just to run low 13s.. this ****** is going to run low 11s.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dragframe
your very wrong in that statment... mod for mod stock maybe.... as in nothing internal.. but one you dig int othe internals... we are talking a whole different story
So what part of my statement do you feel is wrong if you agree with the only statement made which states mod for mod? When I hear mods I dont think internal so I do see why anyone else would.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

this thread aint gonna end well
Old 04-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by urbanhunter44
You guys do all realize that LT1s and LS1s have the EXACT SAME POTENTIAL TO BE FAST MOTORS! There is nothing special or magical about LS1s that allows them to bend the laws of physics and make more than their displacement will allow.

I posted a thread not long ago about a buildup where they replaced the parts on a '97 to be closer to what an '02 came with from the factory, and guess what? It made the exact same power the LS1 did...

For the last ******* time.. THE LT1 AND THE LS1 HAVE THE EXACT SAME POTENTIAL!! Once you weigh out all the money options, it's CHEAPER to buy an LT1 car and put it in the 11s than it is to buy an LS1 and put it in the 11s. The only reason I even considered buying an LS1 was because most have lower miles. Then I found this one for 5.5k with 53k on the odo and the deal was sealed within an hour. I didn't hesitate to buy this over the LS1 because there's nothing special about an LS1 at all - besides some sort of mystical fan boy knowledge that it's god's motor. For the $5k more I woulda spent on an LS1 just to run low 13s.. this ****** is going to run low 11s.
I totally ******* agree. This is silly. Once you crack open the engine what it is stock doesn't mean ****. I get so fed up with people saying "Man too bad you couldn't find a LSX for your truck. Then it would be nuts." Like to say a LT will never make the same power. If I wanted a LSx. I would have one. They are not the ******* end all be all of engines. Stock, yeah they are amazing engines and make great power. But, the potential is the ******* same as the old 355 sitting in my garage.

I'm with you, for the cost of finding a decent LSX then the additional cost of the swap. i will have a forged 383 (though now considering a 396) that will hand it to most LSx guys running around here.

And if god forbid i grenade the new engine, then the next mill will be a forged Gen 1 sbc. I respect the LSx engines but have no fear of them.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

ok lets switch engines. what do you think of the LS6 engines then
Old 04-22-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 4ced
this thread aint gonna end well
Never does. Just funny to see how people get so worked up. I used to get butthurt when the P.I mustang owners would give me crap about my old NON P.I motor so I made it my mission in life to make as much power as possible. I reached 500rwhp. Couldve made more but Blew the engine. With the money spent on the NPI I couldve went P.I or even cobra and made more power. Point is if you put enough money into anything you can make it fast. Just some engines are easier and cheaper and have more potential. I enjoy what I have and dont mind doing what it takes to make it just as fast as whatever else until I start a new project or loose intrest.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 4ced
ok lets switch engines. what do you think of the LS6 engines then
OHHHHHNNNNAAAWWWZZZZ the LT1 is so much better than that motor because yadda yadda yadda cheaper yadda yadda torque. J/K

Quick Reply: Lt1 vs. Ls1