LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 vs. Ls1

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the LS1s around my area are scared of me. There's a 2002 SS M6 with a lid, bellows, Shaner TB, LTs, catback, and tune that inches away from me pretty good though. It'd probably be worse if the guy who owned it could drive a little better.

I figure with my current setup I'm trapping around 108 or so and if I could get the 60' under a 2.0, I'd be in the solid high 12's all day.

Now I just need to get some DRs and a 150-shot so I can go play with some of the new C6s driving around.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
OHHHHHNNNNAAAWWWZZZZ the LT1 is so much better than that motor because yadda yadda yadda cheaper yadda yadda torque. J/K
Hahaha that made me actually laugh out loud

Think about it guys.. an LS1 runs mid-low 13s in the quarter. All it takes for an LT1 to be there is a good set of tires and a catback/cai along with a serious driver. I've personally seen a car with tires, LTs, catback, tuning and LCAs go 12.8@107.

I actually like being the underdog.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have just shorties, exhaust, 4.10s, intake and i can beat stock LS1s
Old 04-22-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by urbanhunter44
For the last ******* time.. THE LT1 AND THE LS1 HAVE THE EXACT SAME POTENTIAL!! Once you weigh out all the money options, it's CHEAPER to buy an LT1 car and put it in the 11s than it is to buy an LS1 and put it in the 11s. The only reason I even considered buying an LS1 was because most have lower miles. Then I found this one for 5.5k with 53k on the odo and the deal was sealed within an hour. I didn't hesitate to buy this over the LS1 because there's nothing special about an LS1 at all - besides some sort of mystical fan boy knowledge that it's god's motor. For the $5k more I woulda spent on an LS1 just to run low 13s.. this ****** is going to run low 11s.
Amen, brother! I want bang for my buck and it stands with the LT1...I have owned 6 LT1s and have been asked a million times why don't I "step up" to an LS1 and I reply with" the only thing stepping up is a car payment"..I had a friend who got a '93 Z28 for a first car. It had a comp cam and headers, no tune, stock everything else. It went 9.0s@85..He rode in an LS1 and had to have one..He had no car payment, "NONE" , and then traded for a '99 Z28, auto and got a $423/mo payment. He swore it was worth the extra money per month until we went to track to test. Same conditions, the LS1 went 9.0s@82, meaning that on top of the $423 he was gonna have to spend even more money just to get faster than the LT1 he had that was 1/3 of the price to start with and was paid for! I'm not sure if the LS1 would've been faster in the 1/4 or not, being that the LT1 trapped 3 mph higher in the 1/8. It all depens on what you want. I'm not hating on the LS1s..They make great power for stock, but they should. Get an LT1, put the same degree heads with same flow #s, same cam specs as the LS1, and see if the LT1 doesn't make more power and torque than the LS1.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Have you ever taken a ride in a low 13 second car? Its a god damn bullet.

Am I the only one here who doesn't consider a 13 sec car to be that fast?
Old 04-22-2006, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT14LIFE JT
Get an LT1, put the same degree heads with same flow #s, same cam specs as the LS1, and see if the LT1 doesn't make more power and torque than the LS1.
Did you see my comparison thread I posted a few days ago? They did exactly that - put comparable parts on an LT1. In the end it made the same power as an LS1. After a full exhaust, it made 314 rwhp which is more than most stock A4 LS1s. But for some reason, I guarantee that there is an LS1 fanboy that's going to say "yeah well it's still going to outrun the LT1 because it's an LS1 and it's god's motor."

I just bumped the thread to the top, they're racing today and I'll put times in that thread when they get them.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Did you see my comparison thread I posted a few days ago? They did exactly that - put comparable parts on an LT1. In the end it made the same power as an LS1. After a full exhaust, it made 314 rwhp which is more than most stock A4 LS1s. But for some reason, I guarantee that there is an LS1 fanboy that's going to say "yeah well it's still going to outrun the LT1 because it's an LS1 and it's god's motor."

I just bumped the thread to the top, they're racing today and I'll put times in that thread when they get them.
Two different beast. Just because 2 cars make the same hp doesnt mean they will run the same times. I think I remember the thread youre reffering to. I would like to see a LT1 with converted 18 degree heads ported to high hell and all the bolt ons with a 9.2 dcr. Thatll make me wet.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys do all realize that LT1s and LS1s have the EXACT SAME POTENTIAL TO BE FAST MOTORS! There is nothing special or magical about LS1s that allows them to bend the laws of physics and make more than their displacement will allow.

I posted a thread not long ago about a buildup where they replaced the parts on a '97 to be closer to what an '02 came with from the factory, and guess what? It made the exact same power the LS1 did...

For the last ******* time.. THE LT1 AND THE LS1 HAVE THE EXACT SAME POTENTIAL!! Once you weigh out all the money options, it's CHEAPER to buy an LT1 car and put it in the 11s than it is to buy an LS1 and put it in the 11s. The only reason I even considered buying an LS1 was because most have lower miles. Then I found this one for 5.5k with 53k on the odo and the deal was sealed within an hour. I didn't hesitate to buy this over the LS1 because there's nothing special about an LS1 at all - besides some sort of mystical fan boy knowledge that it's god's motor. For the $5k more I woulda spent on an LS1 just to run low 13s.. this ****** is going to run low 11s.
dude holy ****.. EXACTLY!! they both do the same thing, air and fuel go through the engines and combust but what you do to make more air or fuel go through and is up to you, they have the same potential. thanks man for getting that point across!

clayton.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT14LIFE JT
Amen, brother! I want bang for my buck and it stands with the LT1...I have owned 6 LT1s and have been asked a million times why don't I "step up" to an LS1 and I reply with" the only thing stepping up is a car payment"..I had a friend who got a '93 Z28 for a first car. It had a comp cam and headers, no tune, stock everything else. It went 9.0s@85..He rode in an LS1 and had to have one..He had no car payment, "NONE" , and then traded for a '99 Z28, auto and got a $423/mo payment. He swore it was worth the extra money per month until we went to track to test. Same conditions, the LS1 went 9.0s@82, meaning that on top of the $423 he was gonna have to spend even more money just to get faster than the LT1 he had that was 1/3 of the price to start with and was paid for! I'm not sure if the LS1 would've been faster in the 1/4 or not, being that the LT1 trapped 3 mph higher in the 1/8. It all depens on what you want. I'm not hating on the LS1s..They make great power for stock, but they should. Get an LT1, put the same degree heads with same flow #s, same cam specs as the LS1, and see if the LT1 doesn't make more power and torque than the LS1.
So what! Then it's not a stock LT1 anymore. You put LS6 heads and cam on an LS1 and it dyno's similar to a ZO6 also. I thought this thread was about what it would take to destroy a stock LS1. As urbanhunter44 posted above- QUOTE: I've personally seen a car with tires, LTs, catback, tuning and LCAs go 12.8@107. I see lots of stock LS1's at the track running low 13's at 108. So an LT1 with the above mods still isn't going to "destroy" an LS1. Like I said before, it would be a close race, but to destroy an LS1 means more work. Sure LT1's can be are cool cars and can be made fast. This thread started out as what it would take to "destroy" an LS1. Running a close time to a stock LS1 IMO, would not be considered destroying one. So to answer the original question: To destroy an LS1 you'll need more than the mods listed above(LT's, catback, tuning and LCA's).
Old 04-22-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hahaha that made me actually laugh out loud

Think about it guys.. an LS1 runs mid-low 13s in the quarter. All it takes for an LT1 to be there is a good set of tires and a catback/cai along with a serious driver. I've personally seen a car with tires, LTs, catback, tuning and LCAs go 12.8@107.

I actually like being the underdog.
Yea being the underdog just brings out the best in us LT1 men huh?
Old 04-22-2006, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

A full bolt on with tires LT1 car will destroy a stock LS1 in every way, shape and form.

There you go.

Or just get some exhaust, cam and a tune and call it a day. Not like a cam swap is difficult on one of these.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

A full bolt on with tires LT1 car will destroy a stock LS1 in every way, shape and form.

There you go.

Or just get some exhaust, cam and a tune and call it a day. Not like a cam swap is difficult on one of these.

O.K. now I'm confused. Didn't you just say this: QUOTE: I've personally seen a car with tires, LTs, catback, tuning and LCAs go 12.8@107? The e.t. is slightly better than MOST stock LS1's and the mph is the same or lower than what I've seen. How is this destroying? Maybe some of you guys should clarify your definition of "destroying" lol!
Old 04-22-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=urbanhunter44]A full bolt on with tires LT1 car will destroy a stock LS1 in every way, shape and form.

There you go.

Or just get some exhaust, cam and a tune and call it a day. Not like a cam swap is difficult on one of these.[/QUOTE
but what happens when u "destroy" a stock ls1
and then he goes and gets a exhaust,TREX, and a tune,tires,
full bolt ons and calls it a day
wazzup now
Old 04-22-2006, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

What's to stop me from getting a cam and porting my stock heads? Sup owned LS1.

Christ.. fan boys..
Old 04-22-2006, 08:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

if the ls1 car cost the exact same amount as the lt1.. then yes we would all own a ls1.. but that is not the case... the case is the lt1 is cheaper to buy and with the money saved buying the lt1 you could make it low 11's CAKE....
Old 04-22-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I have owned the following...A 96 M6 Z28, 98 Z28, 2001 Z28, and I currently own A 2000 WS6 and a 94 Z28. Here is my take on it...For ease of Maintenance....LS1, if that is your concern. Mod for mod you are going faster in an LS1. Now having said that. The LT1 is a SBC. Reliability and down right low end torque come standard. My LT1 has awesome low end torque, that is superior to that of my LS1s, but it loses it advantage the higher up in R's you go. Both motors have the Merits, and people who bitch about the Opti...Well they don't understand it. Keep up with maintenance on it and you will have no problems.
Drive what you want as long as it is a GM.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What's to stop me from getting a cam and porting my stock heads? Sup owned LS1.

Christ.. fan boys..

thanx i needed a laff
Old 04-22-2006, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NemeSS

thanx i needed a laff
I'm not sure quite what you meant by that.. but if you're trying to insinuate that no matter what we do to an LT1 the LS1 is going to win.. well then sir.. you've just proved my entire point in this whole arguement - LT1s and LS1s have the exact same potential and the only reason people believe LS1s to be incredibly superior motors is because of fan boys like you. Thanks.

----------------------
Very true My1st, the opti is rather misunderstood haha. It's actually a very good distributor, and was a good idea. Just bad placement right below the waterpump. And it's really not all that hard to change if you have to. I've got the job down to about 1 1/2 hours now.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:38 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
OHHHHHNNNNAAAWWWZZZZ the LT1 is so much better than that motor because yadda yadda yadda cheaper yadda yadda torque. J/K

Why dont you shut the hell up and go get yourself an LSx engine. You obviously dont like LT1s.

Tony.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by infinitebird

Am I the only one here who doesn't consider a 13 sec car to be that fast?
No, I'm with you bro. Anybody who thinks a 13-second car is a bullet has never been in a car capable of 12s. My old LT1 ran like **** and hit a 13.2, and felt slow as hell to me. My WRX could hit low 14s and it feels like a damn bicycle.

Quick Reply: Lt1 vs. Ls1