LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

More pics of my 8 sec LT1 buildup

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 04:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Outlaw.......................I powered up my FAST XFI last night and threw in the first base tune! I must say the FAST management is hella nice!! Getting closer
Old 05-22-2006, 04:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SRZ
Nice Outlaw. How was the wiring for that XFI? I mounting mine in a similiar position since I don't have a cage......yet. The kick panel on the passenger side. Cutting a whole the size of the box and running it that way....provided my wire harness has the ability to do that....it hasn't shown up yet.
Not going that far yet, maybe some light weight race seats and a few other light weight parts but still streetable! Hell I have a wimpy vig 3200,lol!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:00 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Hey Outlaw.......................I powered up my FAST XFI last night and threw in the first base tune! I must say the FAST management is hella nice!! Getting closer

How did it run w/ the base tune Tony? Man I'm getting anxious. My engine is ready to ship all left to wait on is the harness.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:32 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SRZ
How did it run w/ the base tune Tony? Man I'm getting anxious. My engine is ready to ship all left to wait on is the harness.
Have not started it up yet. Just threw in the tune. Still have mount the A1000 pump and run the lines.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I have to say I was kind of disappointed when i found out that you have to have it plugged into power and connected to the box before it will open up all the extra options (Like writing tunes).... Since i'm waiting on my motor i'm not willing to just connect it to power and fire it up when the harness isn't connected to jack squat for fear of blowing it up.... maybe i'm just being overly careful.... I would have liked to sit down and write up some initial timing maps and fueling maps and some safe target a/f maps now while i'm waiting on my motor.... i wish they would have let us write tunes in the C-com software long before the box was hooked up... that's my only prob with the software now. other than that it's the ****.... where'd you get the initial tune from Tony???? Write it yourself? And what did you think about the fact that you had to have it all wired up prior to writing tunes????? How many wires are you using for your cam position signal???? I know you're running a distributor but how many wires off your harness are connected to the dist????

My wait is backwards..... Motor only needs to be mocked, clearanced for the crank and assembled (which from what CSM said could take about 2 days of uninterrupted work).... So in engine builders speak that is like 2 weeks. not bad....

All I really have left is to wire up the electrical (however there are a lot of wires that terminate at the motor so i can't do those yet), and wire up the XFI (see the above problem again)..... the fuel system is completely done and is just awaiting rails to be bolted up to... converter needs to go out to be freshened..... then it's just a few other odds and ends to wrap up like brake lines and SYA bars and i'll be 99.9% done..... I guess the good thing is that I don't want to fight the heat at the track this summer so it gives me a nice easy timeframe to get everything running right......

That way I can dyno and tune it and get all the gremlins sorted out.... then trailer that bitch to the track unannounced one day on a 50 degree day in november and OWN EVERY CAR THERE!!!!!!! That's my plan....

Last edited by OutlawZ; 05-23-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:35 AM
8 Second Club

The base tune is easy. When you open up the software just go to help and it will walk you through it. It will get you close enough to start engine and tweak the tune from there. Make sure and read everything before you get started.

I am running bank to bank not sequential so I have no cam sensor. Just a crank trigger and MSD low profile crab distributer with a MSD 6AL and the big Crane coil.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:40 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah I already looked at the help file and saw the writeup they had for the base tune.... yeah looks real easy..... I came from Gen VI and this looks identical only way prettier....

You have any pics of your crank trigger and distributor setup? I want to see what that looks like bad to see if it looks painful to do....
Old 05-24-2006, 04:44 PM
hashtagBMW

Opti Forever!
Old 05-24-2006, 04:46 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Yeah I already looked at the help file and saw the writeup they had for the base tune.... yeah looks real easy..... I came from Gen VI and this looks identical only way prettier....

You have any pics of your crank trigger and distributor setup? I want to see what that looks like bad to see if it looks painful to do....
No ...no pics yet but I will get some soon.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Any of the guys in this thread run an 8 this year?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:21 AM
8 Second Club

My car is ready to go. If we can get a good weekend without it raining soon I will get there.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:22 PM
9 Second Club

My intake is going to Texas to get finished and at that point I'll have all the pieces needed to complete the motor.. short block is assembled so all we're waiting on is the intake so we can bolt up the heads and be done with it.....

other than that the car is ready to go save for a brake line i have to fab up and rear shocks.... and the converter has to be re-stalled for the new setup... electrical system is done, gauges are done, fuel system is done, front suspension is done, interior is done...... engine mgmt is done....

Then i gotta learn how to drive it again.....
Old 11-08-2006, 08:29 PM
hashtagBMW

Outlaw you better hurry your *** up. Shepherds going to try and beat you to the 8s. Dont worry though, send me $15 bucks (3% Paypal Fee also) and ill slash his tires, that should hold him off.

Tony.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:42 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Outlaw you better hurry your *** up. Shepherds going to try and beat you to the 8s. Dont worry though, send me $15 bucks (3% Paypal Fee also) and ill slash his tires, that should hold him off.

Tony.
BWHAHAHAHAHA!

Looks killer Outlaw!
What intake/TB are you using? Im sorry if you mentioned it and I missed it.

Im wanting to build in a year or two a N20 LT1, midish 9's on the motor, 400-500 shot on the spray.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:29 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speed Density

Tony.

I am installing a camera in my garage now to watch you!!

Jason................ Are you sending it to Harold? Looks like you are almost finished with yours. Give me a call when you get a chance.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:37 AM
9 Second Club

yeah harold is getting it. I'm sending it out by the end of this week.... it's basically the last hard part we need to finish the motor.....

pushrods and lifters just came in.... once the whole longblock is together i'll order the crank trigger and rear mount dist... I think i'm going to pay the extra to have the cam sync in the dist so i can run true sequential....

Juiced-I'm running a Victor EFI Ported by Port Pros, using an intake elbow and a 90mm throttle body... very similar engine to what Tony is running. In fact other than cam specs the motors are almost exact duplicates.... solid roller, shaft rockers, AFR 227's, Victor E manifolds..... FAST XFI.... the list goes on and on....

We're going to try to make around 620-650 hp NA (about 500-520 at the wheels) and then hit it with 2 stages of juice (direct port fogger and plate system)... we'll change the jetting depending on track conditions but we're thinking a 250/150 at most tracks...

Speed-Thanks man, hell if it keeps raining down in texas i might get to the track before Tony does...
Old 11-15-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

i envy you guys lol
Old 11-15-2006, 02:21 AM
hashtagBMW

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Speed-Thanks man, hell if it keeps raining down in texas i might get to the track before Tony does...
Yes Sir!

Looks like a lot of fast guys are using Victor E's from Port Pros....

I might actually take a trip to Cali or Texas to run the car early next year.

Hell at this point i just want to drive the thing to get some groceries.

Shepherd,

I swear, if you have a camera in there when i commit that crime, ill be commiting the crime butt *** naked. The authorities wont know, because they will be in shock to see such a sexy body.

Tony.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn boys!!! I wonder who's gonna get there first?
I wish I could say that I was taking a stab at the 8's with mine... But budget would not allow so low 10's to high 9's will be enough to satisfy me for a while. You all have some awesome cars. Whoever gets there first better get it on video and post up.

Cant wait to get mine going. I feel OutlawZ's sentiment on wanting to even drive to the grocery store. Except that would probably get my car impounded in this town

Good luck guys!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:03 AM
9 Second Club

Nice it reminds me of my old engine. I had chassis problems so the best I managed with that motor was 9.0 @ 160mph in 100 degree heat.Good luck! I am sure technology has advanced and it will come for you much easier then it did for me. Hope you make it.

Vince

Quick Reply: More pics of my 8 sec LT1 buildup