LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trick Flow heads / LT4 intake Don't line up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 03:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trick Flow heads / LT4 intake Don't line up!

Just went to install a set of trick flow heads ported by lloyd elliot along with an LT4 intake that was also port matched by him. First let me say the porting looks great! However, when we went to bolt the intake down, the holes in the intake aren't even close to lining up with the holes in the heads. Has any one else had these issues? Also, the heads had the tiny holes for the tabs in the intake gaskets to press into. These didn't line up either. Whats the deal? Do we need to drill the holes in the intake to make it line up with the holes in the heads?

Now I'm wondering what good port matching the intake was if we change the holes to make it bolt up. Right now its like the intake is wider from one bolt hole to the one on the opposite side, than the holes in the heads. I don't know the history of the block, but the pistons measure to be .007" out of the hole. I don't think the block could have been decked an excessive amount since they are only 7 thousandths out?

What could be the problem, other than poor quality heads?
Old 06-24-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were they LT1 heads? If so the LT4 manifold will not line up. You have to specially order them for the LT4 in order for the ports to all line up correctly.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you most likely got LT1 heads
Old 06-24-2006, 04:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

From what lloyd said, he would port match the heads to the intake, therefore making them line up. The issue is not the ports lining up, its the bolt holes that hold the intake to the heads. I think he would have told us if we sent him the wrong heads.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I just set an LT1 intake on the engine and it doesn't line up either. It fits exactly the same as the LT4. The bolt patterns are the same. The runners lining up are not an issue, since they have been port matched.

If the intakes were the difference and we have LT1 style heads, why doesn't the LT1 intake fit?

I then set the LT4 intake on an LT1 engine and stock heads. It will not work, but its not because of the bolt pattern, it has a clearance problem due to the raised runners.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you take a pick of this? I would like to see it. Sounds like Trick flow messed up the drilling of the alignment of the bolt holes
Old 06-24-2006, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Not raised runners taller runners.

You said the pistons are .007 OUT of the hole??? Stock is more like .020+ down have heard a FEW people claim as little as .015 and a few over .030. If the pistons are that far out I would suspect signifigant decking. Also did you have the heads heavily milled to shrink the chamber?

If you had the heads heavily milled and even if Lloyd accounted for that milling the intake the extra block decking would go and misalign everything unless it too was accounted for. Sounds like you have no idea on what decking was done so you could not have told Lloyd about it and he could not have helped you out then.

Can you post a pic of the gasket over the head surface so we can see the misalignment?
Old 06-24-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may have to mill the bottom of the intake to make it fit.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Not raised runners taller runners.

You said the pistons are .007 OUT of the hole??? Stock is more like .020+ down have heard a FEW people claim as little as .015 and a few over .030. If the pistons are that far out I would suspect signifigant decking. Also did you have the heads heavily milled to shrink the chamber?

If you had the heads heavily milled and even if Lloyd accounted for that milling the intake the extra block decking would go and misalign everything unless it too was accounted for. Sounds like you have no idea on what decking was done so you could not have told Lloyd about it and he could not have helped you out then.

Can you post a pic of the gasket over the head surface so we can see the misalignment?
I don't know what Lloyd done as far as the milling of the heads, and he or I didn't know what had been done to the block. We purchased the block used and done nothing to the deck.

I'll try to post a pic. Milling the intake is exactly what I was thinking.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What I was trying to say was LLoyd could not properly get the intake/head combo milled together to fit properly unless he knew the block specs. If you had asumed it was uncut and he was working off that info there could certainly be the root of the problem, especially since from your other info it sounds as if the block has been heavily cut.

Quick Reply: Trick Flow heads / LT4 intake Don't line up!