LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anything better than an LT4 intake???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything better than an LT4 intake???

Like the topic reads. Anything better? MiniRam is about the same. What do you do if you exceed the LT4? Just curious.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Launching!

victor time!!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:09 AM
JUICED96Z

VIctor or sheetmetal
Old 08-08-2006, 03:44 AM
11 Second Club

victor or make your own
Old 08-08-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many single plane intakes out there to do the job. Most people choose a Super Vic like me.
Or a Sheet metal intake would yield you the best results, but can be very expensive.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:01 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asudecat
There are many single plane intakes out there to do the job. Most people choose a Super Vic like me.
Or a Sheet metal intake would yield you the best results, but can be very expensive.

I disagree. I single plane will yield better results than a sheet metal.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IrocTransAm
Like the topic reads. Anything better? MiniRam is about the same. What do you do if you exceed the LT4? Just curious.
You say that as if the LT4 intake was an improvement over an LT1 intake?????? As cast it IS NOT.
Most here dismiss the LTX intakes way too fast, they demand an alternative so much they will try and swear by anything. Not that the LTX intake is perfect either just much better than these guys will give it credit for.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

You cant get crap for heads using a lt1 intake, After the AFR 195's you have to go to a Lt4 intake. Or you could spend the same amount on a lt1 intake making it fit.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:07 PM
11 Second Club

With the LT4 intake no longer being available new the LT1 intake with material added above the ports like was the ONLY thing the LT4 intake had going for it is likely cheaper.

Funny you bringup AFRs another thing people are WAY too quick to jumpon again the OEM pieces with a little work can be awesome.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Funny you bringup AFRs another thing people are WAY too quick to jumpon again the OEM pieces with a little work can be awesome.
Funny thing is nobody has a Lt1 head for my car I have talked to sevral people and everyone said go with a ported Lt4 or an Afr 220-227.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Who have you spoken too?
The guys that did my heads have a stock management NA 383 putting down 521 RWHP through an A4 same 190cc heads I have and just a street ported LT1 intake and it was still MAF, big solid roller pulling HARD right to the pcms hard rev limit. Car is pretty much a race car that might see a little street time.
There is an Impala in OH with owner ported heads, owner built 383 with a big solid roller putting down 480rwhp through an A4 with an LT1 intake. Both are 2.00/1.56 valved, both are 8" ATI converters which will affect what makes it to the wheels, lack of lockup makes them lighter.

Advanced Induction offers a 200cc ported GM casting and ported Trickflows I would use LONG before AFR.
The fastest boosted Impala and the fastest LTX NA b-body both wear ported Trickflows the guys using them are doing very well.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Who have you spoken too?
CNC in florida, ET performance, yadda yadda. And i also talked to adavanced induction. Talked to Ron told him what i wanted to run "10.5 125mph' he told me i would have to run a solid roller, shaft mounts or a guirdle and some compression and i told him i had no problem with that, Well i was all good and we sent a few emails back and forth he asked for my phone# and when to call me. I give him the number and no call for a week, so i call them and nobody answers the phone so i leave a message saying i am ready to send my heads, no call back so i try the next couple days and leave anouther message and no return. I dont think that 137mph car starts to pull till it gets to the factory limit lol. So i decided to try and find a set of Lt4's and send the to cnc since Ed's car here in town has no problem running bottom 10's at 130 with a 2,000 da, or order and wait for a set of AFR's
Old 08-08-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

%90 of all these people are running Lt4 or AFR's
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305819
Old 08-08-2006, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

AFRs were the only game in town for a lot of years back when the LT1 was newer and folks with LOTS of cash to drop wanted to go fast. Today with a decade od R&D and the cars in more budget minded hands we are finding out what all the ignored GM parts are capable of.
The guy I got my core aluuminums from has TPIS ported smaller AFRs on a 383 with a whole lot more cam and in an f-body and is slower, he has been in my car and is simply awestruck and kicking himself for buying the AFRs. Now even most of the AFR supporters will tell you the little AFRs SUCK but still lighter car with more cam on top of it. We have similar stalls of the same brand and the same tranny and same rearend ratios.

LT4s can be great for a wild motor too another head I would pick long before any AFR.

I have heard from some people AI was slow to respond but those usually seem to be the same folks who seem uncertain of what they want. The people I have spoken to who have a more confident air about them have no complaints. Let Ron know you mean buisiness and aren't just wasting his time for a sale that will never happen and I bet he responds quickly.
Here is a quote off their site.
"
*Note: We're extremely busy with changes at the shop and new products. I apologize in advance, but it may take a couple days to get back to you as we prioritize current customers over potential customers. Thanks so much!

-Phil "

May seem rude or harsh but it means they get the paying customers parts out in a timely manner even if it means missing a call from a potential customer. Trust me this is a good thing, I have ordered from vendors who were more worried about kissing every *** that called than getting parts out the door and ended up waiting 6+ months for parts because of it.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
I disagree. I single plane will yield better results than a sheet metal.

I was always under the impression that a sheet metal intake done right was always the best route. I have no proof, maybe you do?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

With the LT4 intake no longer being available new the LT1 intake with material added above the ports like was the ONLY thing the LT4 intake had going for it is likely cheaper.

I have been told from another board member on this site that Edelbrock is now finally making both the aftermarket LT1 and LT4 manifold. They are the same look as the stock LT1 manifold in that the LT4 is not painted red. But they are both "ported out" and are way better than the stock one's. And yes, once you go 195 and higher on Afr's, you need the LT4 manifold. If that manifold is in fact available, there is no reason to stay with LT1 if your going to change it. It has a 7 degree raised runner to improve velocity, and therby allows you to make the whole combo bigger. O.K. maybe the 7 degrees ain't that big of deal but its still better. And if you have a choice, then why not?

Last edited by Built LT1; 08-11-2006 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

I have a bad feeling that intake wont be out anytime soon.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:33 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asudecat
I was always under the impression that a sheet metal intake done right was always the best route. I have no proof, maybe you do?

Well.........if you have lots of hood clearance and can build very long runners on a sheetmetal intake than it could be better than a single plane. Kinda hard to do in our cars. Distribution will still be an issue with a sheet metal as well.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Well.........if you have lots of hood clearance and can build very long runners on a sheetmetal intake than it could be better than a single plane. Kinda hard to do in our cars. Distribution will still be an issue with a sheet metal as well.

very true
Old 08-09-2006, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

also researched the sheetmetal, 3200 bucks could get me a custom sheetmetal with billett runners, or sheetmetal runners for 2000, but neither would flow better than a custom SuperVic as it turns out, simple decision therefore.

Quick Reply: Anything better than an LT4 intake???