LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OPTI finally crapped out with Delteq

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPTI finally crapped out with Delteq

Well I got my camaro bak on the road today....I was in a bad motorcycle accident last saturday so i put insurance bak on the camaro and was driving it around. The car had a slight sputter if u were on the gas anymore than jsut a slight roll on and I figured it was because of the opti.....I upgraded to the Delteq system a lil while ago with AWESOME results but about a month later the sputtering happeend again.

Well today it was pooooring down rain here in S. Florida so I was heading home and jsut about made it, mabey 300 yards from my house spitting and sputtering and back firing so I had to push it to my house.

Now...My question is. Should I replace with a stock unit for go for the MSD unit? Im only really using the sensors in the unit its self so do I really need to go for the MSD one or will a stock one be fine.....

also on the stock one can I seal it any better from water to prevent this from happening?

Any input would eb appreciated guys!
Old 08-17-2006, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

the msd claims it has a better sensing sensor and adj. I had the very same prob you did and I just went with stock
Old 08-17-2006, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

How did you have opti issues and the Delteq solve the problem alone? The opti (at least the lens portion) has to be in good working order. Anyways I wouldnt spend a ton of money on a new setup if you have a delteq. Dynaspark has finally released thier gen3 rotorless opti for LTCC/Delteq users. Either that or get a decent used opti and gut it.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:18 AM
Launching!

I thought that the opti jsut had a weak spark and wasent putting out enough for the car to run properly so I put the delteq system on and it actually sured every problem the car had but now it has been running real bad and it finally crapped out driving in hard rain so I guess I'll be swapping out for a stock opti

anyone have a link for detailed info on "how to"
Old 08-17-2006, 06:25 AM
TECH Addict

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html
Old 08-17-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a spray bottle full of water and spray down your wires. It sounds like to me that the plug wires may be arcing.

I had this happen and the engine missed and died in the rain. Had bad brand new plug wires from Elite.

If you have the Delteq and and the opti was truly hosed you should be getting opti trouble codes.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Get a spray bottle full of water and spray down your wires. It sounds like to me that the plug wires may be arcing.

I had this happen and the engine missed and died in the rain. Had bad brand new plug wires from Elite.

If you have the Delteq and and the opti was truly hosed you should be getting opti trouble codes.
opti's dont always throw codes.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by titter
I hear that! the bearing in my opti sensor blew up! metal shavings every where
Old 08-17-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

My first opti didnt throw a code. My dynaspark did put sometimes before it went out.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by titter
The opti has two sections, the high volt side and the low volt side.
When the high volt side (spark) screws up it will not throw codes.

However if the low volt side (pulse wheel sensor) screws up you will get either the high res pulse code or the low res pulse code. The Delteq requires the high res and low pulse to work properly. If there is a problem with the sensor you will get a code and the Delteq will screw up.

The high volt side has absolutely nothing to do with the Delteq.

Most people who encounter opti failure find that the high volt side has failed.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Launching!

when i had problems with my opti i looked into the delteq system but you still had to use the stock opti ststem for your timing pickup. that area of the opti is were one of the problems is so i chose a opti from dynateh because the fixed the trouble areas. now don`t get me wrong the delteq system is is a good system and probly delievers a stronger spark but reliablity is still tied to the old opti good luck with your repairs
Old 08-18-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
The opti has two sections, the high volt side and the low volt side.
When the high volt side (spark) screws up it will not throw codes.

However if the low volt side (pulse wheel sensor) screws up you will get either the high res pulse code or the low res pulse code. The Delteq requires the high res and low pulse to work properly. If there is a problem with the sensor you will get a code and the Delteq will screw up.

The high volt side has absolutely nothing to do with the Delteq.

Most people who encounter opti failure find that the high volt side has failed.

How does the vehicle react if the high volt side is failing??
Old 08-18-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Shouldnt run at all if the high side failed.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
How did you have opti issues and the Delteq solve the problem alone? The opti (at least the lens portion) has to be in good working order. Anyways I wouldnt spend a ton of money on a new setup if you have a delteq. Dynaspark has finally released thier gen3 rotorless opti for LTCC/Delteq users. Either that or get a decent used opti and gut it.
I am familiar with the new opti by MSD. But is the cap and rotor from them worth the trouble?
Old 08-18-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

I dont believe in just doing cap and rotors. I reccomend http://www.dynaspark.net/gen3.htm or at least look into it.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Launching!

I wish I knew about that system when I went and bought the delteq a while back ago. I probably put this system on the car 6 months ago about but I never have even seen the dynaspark system. If it was a lil cheaper I'd spring for it but I might jsut put a stock one in there because I actually want to sell the camaro now.

some parts of my medical bills arent covered by my insurance so I have to see how much its going to cost me.

I was in a bad accident with my motorcycle....came off the bike at about 45 rolled about 10 feet in the grass median and a PALM TREE stopped me when my head colided into it. Thank god for helemts though....was trauma-hawk air lifted to the med center that specialized in brain trauma so that was like a 18,000 dollar helichopter ride.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
I dont believe in just doing cap and rotors. I reccomend http://www.dynaspark.net/gen3.htm or at least look into it.
That GEN3 looks really cool but it isn't done yet looks like.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

It's very done according to dynaspark. They havent updated thier site yet. Actually they plan on redesigning thier site but 's availible now.