LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Aftermarket Tach in 93 Camaro, having problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Tach in 93 Camaro, having problems...

Okay, guys, I'm completely replacing my OE gauge cluster with Nordskog digital aftermarket gauges. I've worked out most the wiring kinks (like soldering a 470-ohm resistor between the alternator wire and a switched ignition source to help the charging system run properly), but I'm left with this ONE problem with my tachometer. Any ideas?? I wired everything up as per instructions, and it works fine and is accurate...until about 4000 RPM and higher. It will just drop, to like 2600 RPM. Engine runs fine, just the display is off on the tach, and only after 4000 RPMs. I KNOW it can't be a bad ground, because I ran a 10g ground wire exclusively from the chassis to my gauges. Also, just FYI, it's a universtal tachometer, and I have wired it as per instructions for installing it on a V8 engine. Any other ideas?

Oh, and just so you guys know, I'm running a Delteq ignition system on my 1993 Camaro (and I've removed the tach filter, found exclusively in the 93 F-bodies- this was necessary for the OE tach to read accurately after the ignition conversion)...any ideas at this point would be much appreciated!!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe on the 93 cars the tach signal was run off of the coil. To do this they needed to add a tach filter, so the factory tach would work. Most aftermarket tachs will not work with the tach filter. I believe you need to take it out of the factory wiring, but im not sure where its at.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

its the black box that is tapped to the wiring harness by the coil...
Old 10-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Read the second paragraph of my first post again. I removed the tach filter loooooong ago, back when I installed the Delteq ignition system. The only solutions I can see here are possibly an MSD DIS tach adapter (p/n# MSD-8913), or I have to get my tach signal from another wire, possibly directly from the ECM or the Delteq wiring harness...
Old 10-20-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

i had an aftermarket tach on mine for awhile... but it was hooked straight up to the MSD box... so i didnt have any problems...
Old 10-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Teching In

So does that mean I'd simply have to find another ignition signal wire? If that's the case, where in the hell would I begin looking??
Old 10-20-2006, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

did you try putting the tach filter back in there?
Old 10-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Teching In

I wouldn't see why the tach filter would help, when you're supposed to remove it (after installing a Delteq) to get an accurate tach reading from the OE gauges...
Old 10-20-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

i would call them and see if they have an answer... cuz if its working period... it has nothing to do with the tach filter... cuz when i had on hooked up to the factory tach wire with the filter in... it went nuts all the time... then i just realized that i could run it from my MSD box... all was good...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Tach in 93 Camaro, having problems...