LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can my car run without o2's and open EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can my car run without o2's and open EGR?

Ok so heres the thing I finished my header install including having my pcm tuned.

I pulled my egr off but still have not recieved my egr block off plates and I still haven't recieved my o2 extensions. Other than that my car is finished. My question is can I run my car without the o2's hooked up and without the holes in the intake manifold blocked off for a short time until I recieve the parts?

My car has been parked for weeks now and I would love nothing more than to start it and hear how it sounds with the long tube headers.

Thanks.

,Nick
Old 11-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do yourself a favor and dont. with out the EGR plate, I am assuming for the manifold you will have a vacumme leak, also with out 02's its going to run like garbage.

Just wait.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell no! EGR needs to be blocked off and you definitely need the O2's.

First, the gaping hole in the back of the manifold where the EGR should be will be sucking in air that is not measured through your Mass Airflow Sensor which will make it run like **** or probably just keep stalling out every 10 seconds. You could just put the EGR valve back on and cap its vacuum ports and also put back on teh EGR pipe that came from the exhaust and just cut and crimp it so that there's no air getting sucked in. Thats a ghetto-*** temp fix for that problem.

Second, no O2's?!?! Umm, there's no use. I'm not sure of what the effects of no O2's would be... Really rich? Realy Lean? Dont even know if it woudl stay running once the computer goes into closed loop and has no Air/fuel readings. Anyone actually tried it?

YOU MIGHT just be able to start it and have it run enough to drive down the street or something only to have the car break down on you. JUST WAIT FOR YOUR PARTS AND DO IT RIGHT.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man... take it from me....... Do not and I repeat; do not run your car without O2's under any length of time of under 4 minutes. After 4 minutes your motor without 02's goes lean and the Cylinder temperature goes up to 800 degrees+ at that point your rings actually start to cook. And thats at idle. If you drive like that your motor will be no good in about 2 days. 2 hours run time. And the way you can tell that its starting to cook is the sound the engine makes. It sounds like a cnc mill cutting through metal. It's a real high pitched schreeching sound everytime the piston goes up and down. You thing the sound is coming from the heads themselves but the sound is coming from your cylinder walls. I would know. I did this on accident when I had my heads ported after a blown head gasket. I then put shortyheaders on and after everything was done being wired the motor was fired but I didnt think I had to plug in the o2 sensors for the first startup. I didnt notice the schreeching sound until the motor warmed up. Then it got worse. At that time i had no idea that O2's actually did something more than emmisions. But a lesson well learned. Anyways the schreeching was the rings and the cylinderwalls grinding together due to insufficient fuel and too much air to try to keep the car alive and the metal from the grinding mad it's way to the oil pump then to the mains and then in less than 48 hours i had a knock. Thank you and good night.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Staging Lane

It aint a mustang, do it right.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad i stuck with it and learned because in my hometown... I havent been beaten on the street by anyone and my motor, the very same motor at that, makes over 650 hp.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

wow thanks for all the replys guys.

I figured the egr not being blocked off would be a problem but I didn't think the o2's not being connected would be such a big deal. I figured for a little while it would be ok, I never realized how much they actually did. Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it. I'm just going to wait till all my parts come in before I start her.

Thanks again.

,Nick
Old 11-04-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZEX-Z
Hey man... take it from me....... Do not and I repeat; do not run your car without O2's under any length of time of under 4 minutes. After 4 minutes your motor without 02's goes lean and the Cylinder temperature goes up to 800 degrees+ at that point your rings actually start to cook. And thats at idle. If you drive like that your motor will be no good in about 2 days. 2 hours run time. And the way you can tell that its starting to cook is the sound the engine makes. It sounds like a cnc mill cutting through metal. It's a real high pitched schreeching sound everytime the piston goes up and down. You thing the sound is coming from the heads themselves but the sound is coming from your cylinder walls. I would know. I did this on accident when I had my heads ported after a blown head gasket. I then put shortyheaders on and after everything was done being wired the motor was fired but I didnt think I had to plug in the o2 sensors for the first startup. I didnt notice the schreeching sound until the motor warmed up. Then it got worse. At that time i had no idea that O2's actually did something more than emmisions. But a lesson well learned. Anyways the schreeching was the rings and the cylinderwalls grinding together due to insufficient fuel and too much air to try to keep the car alive and the metal from the grinding mad it's way to the oil pump then to the mains and then in less than 48 hours i had a knock. Thank you and good night.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Awsome explaination for anyone that would like to know.... Sucks that you found that out the hard way Zex.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

I ran with the egr not blocked off and couldn't tell any difference at all than having it blocked off. But no O2s, that would be bad..

Quick Reply: Can my car run without o2's and open EGR?