LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Summit is officially selling the Edelbrock LT1 and LT4 manifold.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Who cares? I mean really?

This year my stock short block car will DESTROY your taxi on the motor only and easy launch and a smaller stall but does anyone care? No! Oh and mines a street car with a stereo.

There are tons of Impys and taxis in the 11's its nothing new, its like an LS1 owner who is proud that he ran 12.9's..... Its something that a lot of people do
There is just one NA stock shortblock b-body faster than mine and it is a stripped 3400lbs with driver car 4400 stall manual valvebody th400 and all completely not streetable. Yes there are a number of b-bodies in the 11s the majority of them built motor and/or power adders, lot of stroker guys don't run an 11 with these pigs even with ported aftermarket castings.

I am not saying the Edelbrock intake can not be good I just think you guys need to exercise a little more caution and objectivity.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:06 PM
JUICED96Z

Its everyones own money. If they want to buy it then let them go for it.

From what I can tell most of the people on here don't repect you or your opinion because you assume and don't ask questions and in the end look like a complete idiot.

I got a PM the other day from a VERY VERY respected member in the LT1 comunity and it was on you and my sig quote. We were talking and I said I put it there because you ran your mouth when you did not know what you were talking about.

This is what he said

Nothing new there. I have found a LOT of B body guys that way. Atta boy!

Think about all that before you post please

If someone is going to drop that much on the intake then let them. It will work regardless. Its not like they person has a .6 lift cam and is buying .5 lift springs.

Will them buying that intake hurt the power of their car? NO!, what else can they buy not going LT4 or carb style? NOTHING!
If someone wanted to stay all LT1 then that would be a great choice even though its expensive. Carb style is for the guys that want big power and it cots even more money for all the parts needed then that intake. Keep in mind what LT4 intakes are going for now not to mention having to buy the heads.

For someone wanting to go fast it would not be a good idea because of its limited RPM range. I am talking single digets here but I know of at least one LT1 car with the LT1 intake that should go 8's next year...

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 01-20-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony Shepard= 10th fastest LT1 as of last year.

96 Taxi Cab= at least 31 spots below him (most of those cars being street cars)
The movie "Taxi" with Queen Latifah is in first place for fastest taxi cab. She beat 96Capricemgr in the NHRA taxi finals.

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/03167...pg.html?seq=11

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/03167...tml?hint=group

Last edited by Built LT1; 01-20-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:30 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by Built LT1
The movie "Taxi" with Queen Latifah is in first place for fastest taxi cab. She beat 96Capricemgr in the NHRA taxi finals.

BWHAHAHAHA BEST POST EVER! STRAIGHT UP OWNAGE!
Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Will them buying that intake hurt the power of their car? NO!, what else can they buy not going LT4 or carb style? NOTHING!
If someone wanted to stay all LT1 then that would be a great choice even though its expensive.
If they wanted to stay with the LT1 intake, then why not get the stock manifold ported? It will cost less, and flow better. Like I said earlier it is a waste of money ... and the only way I would buy it is if I couldn't find an LT4 intake to run ARF heads. So in fact they could buy something ... a decent port job.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Just on a side note, since you mentioned that, someone is actually making a 1000hp car of out that goofy thing.

How come I get mad fun of. There's nothing wrong with making a 4200lb car fast. You guys hurt my feelings

Now I'm not agreeing with how Dwayne goes about things all the time, but in regaurds to this quote

Nothing new there. I have found a LOT of B body guys that way. Atta boy!
I dont see why that person is singling out the b-car guys specifically? I've met plently of F-car drivers that think they know everything about their cars and or engines, and Y-car drivers also. That can be said about any car owner no matter the car type

Last edited by buffman; 01-21-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:04 AM
11 Second Club

That was a kick in the ***
Old 01-21-2007, 02:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
kids

Just remeber my NA stock shortblock taxi is a member of the 11 second club and a street car not a race car.
Ha grandpa,rule # 1 never post your real times.I would be glad meet you on the street or at the track.I will show you what this "kids" car can do.

:Just remeber my NA stock shortblock taxi is a street car not a race car.
I drive my car every day on the street.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by buffman
Just on a side note, since you mentioned that, someone is actually making a 1000hp car of out that goofy thing.

How come I get mad fun of. There's nothing wrong with making a 4200lb car fast. You guys hurt my feelings

Now I'm not agreeing with how Dwayne goes about things all the time, but in regaurds to this quote

I dont see why that person is singling out the b-car guys specifically? I've met plently of F-car drivers that think they know everything about their cars and or engines, and Y-car drivers also. That can be said about any car owner no matter the car type

No one knows every thing that is why we have this forum, people come here for help not to get told there stupid when they want to try something NEW,
Old 01-21-2007, 09:28 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by titter
If they wanted to stay with the LT1 intake, then why not get the stock manifold ported? It will cost less, and flow better. Like I said earlier it is a waste of money ... and the only way I would buy it is if I couldn't find an LT4 intake to run ARF heads. So in fact they could buy something ... a decent port job.

<----having his stock LT1 intake ported as we speak
Old 01-22-2007, 02:07 AM
11 Second Club

<----having his stock LT1 intake ported as we speak
He will need more than that.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Teching In

I am glad someone is still interested in developing new components for our motors, I say keep'em coming!
Old 01-24-2007, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Roadwarrior1956
I am glad someone is still interested in developing new components for our motors, I say keep'em coming!
thank you, thats what I say

Last edited by onephatZ28; 02-02-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that one really made me laugh. Sorry Dwayne.

Actually of those links this was the best thing on there:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/...hint=tt0316732

FWIW a ported version of this edelbrock deal will be killer. Looked at them at PRI and stock they are bah, ported they will be killer. No real need to weld, more meat where you need it etc.... plus the air gap will help.

FWIW Stumpy is running 11.5 @ 118-119 in his taxi cab with a 355, but that doesn't count for stock short block , his is still 4030lbs Karl's setup is going to take the "stock shortblock" title back this year anyways

Bret
Old 02-02-2007, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Brett, I have had enough of trying to start this fight.

For those of you who care about THE REST OF THE STORY. Those guys are on the east coast with -1700 and better DAs and both are competitive racers in the ECIRS series who trailer to the track. Mine is a street car I happen to go to the T&T nights with, so I do not expect to really compete with them.
Devil is in the details though and here they are, look at DAs, stall/gear and lightening measures. I included Glen's "stock shortblock" LE2 times.

Karl will in all likelyhood go faster than I but his car is more setup for racing and he more dedicated to pushing the limits, he was the first to push an NA LT1 b-body into the 10s BOTH of his b-bodies have run 10s and he is becoming an accomplished LT1 engine builder, the FIRST I will recommend to anyone asking for an LT1 builder.

The fact you feel you need a ringer like that to top my ET is quite a compliment, thank you.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Teching In

I don't get it; for that kind of money, why not just go with a single plane conversion? Excuse me for being the dunce, but I really don't get why anyone would buy that when you could easily go with a single plane. Well, maybe this is marketed towards the bolt-on guys?
I could see them buying into the Edelcrock scheme for track domination with their proven LTx products. The LT1 may have been short-lived in Detroit, but the aftermarket made no attempt to nuture it. Products like Edelbrocks line-up helped very much in putting a bad taste in the performance customer's mouth. Not only did the LTx have obvious design flaws, but you couldn't just fiddle with them (as a Gen 1) and make power; the LSx boom was salt in the wound.

The LTx was the proverbial red-headed step-child. You can't get it to love you, the parent (aftermarket) without sucking it up and loving it first. Edelbrock has some good stuff and sets the bar for many mild performance guys. By setting the LTx bar so low, who would want to go through all the idiosyncracies and PITA work of the LTx (particularly in the case of the F car) for such a lackluster return? AFR's products are somewhat similar in this regard, in relation to the offerings in the Gen 1 market; nevertheless, their products do seem actually suited to making power versus Edelbrock's which appear tailored to having matching logos and trendy similarities so you can say, "I run Edelbrock! Just look!"
So, the question becomes this: why not convert to a single plane if you need an LT4 intake (if you have LT4 ports, you probably spent a good bit on the heads and they flow well)? I disregard porting the intake as a viable option because the cost of the intake plus a thorough port job will have you near 800-1000 (you could really have a nice single plane for that).

The short bit about the LTx aftermarket problems and bashing on Edelbrock should serve simply as a personal aside and not the thrust behind my questioning the need for this intake. Anyone: disregard it unless you want to seperate the two topics in a reply. I don't want someone flaming at me because I ragged on Edelbrock, then trying to extrapolate and transcend with some muffled truth from bolt-on perspective about why this intake is such a redeaming masterpiece to behold, captivating the LTx crowd.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:56 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Obelix G.
I don't get it; for that kind of money, why not just go with a single plane conversion? Excuse me for being the dunce, but I really don't get why anyone would buy that when you could easily go with a single plane. Well, maybe this is marketed towards the bolt-on guys?
I could see them buying into the Edelcrock scheme for track domination with their proven LTx products. The LT1 may have been short-lived in Detroit, but the aftermarket made no attempt to nuture it. Products like Edelbrocks line-up helped very much in putting a bad taste in the performance customer's mouth. Not only did the LTx have obvious design flaws, but you couldn't just fiddle with them (as a Gen 1) and make power; the LSx boom was salt in the wound.

The LTx was the proverbial red-headed step-child. You can't get it to love you, the parent (aftermarket) without sucking it up and loving it first. Edelbrock has some good stuff and sets the bar for many mild performance guys. By setting the LTx bar so low, who would want to go through all the idiosyncracies and PITA work of the LTx (particularly in the case of the F car) for such a lackluster return? AFR's products are somewhat similar in this regard, in relation to the offerings in the Gen 1 market; nevertheless, their products do seem actually suited to making power versus Edelbrock's which appear tailored to having matching logos and trendy similarities so you can say, "I run Edelbrock! Just look!"
So, the question becomes this: why not convert to a single plane if you need an LT4 intake (if you have LT4 ports, you probably spent a good bit on the heads and they flow well)? I disregard porting the intake as a viable option because the cost of the intake plus a thorough port job will have you near 800-1000 (you could really have a nice single plane for that).

The short bit about the LTx aftermarket problems and bashing on Edelbrock should serve simply as a personal aside and not the thrust behind my questioning the need for this intake. Anyone: disregard it unless you want to seperate the two topics in a reply. I don't want someone flaming at me because I ragged on Edelbrock, then trying to extrapolate and transcend with some muffled truth from bolt-on perspective about why this intake is such a redeaming masterpiece to behold, captivating the LTx crowd.
Because converting to a single plane is about 3x the price of an Edelbrock LT1/4 intake, or a stock LT1 intake ported to work on LT4 heads. To convert to a single plane, you need to have one converted, different fuel rails, adapt to the stock fuel lines or make new braided lines, 90* elbow, different throttle body, fabricate a throttle cable brackets, etc. It's much more involved than just bolting on a manifold.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
Because converting to a single plane is about 3x the price of an Edelbrock LT1/4 intake, or a stock LT1 intake ported to work on LT4 heads. To convert to a single plane, you need to have one converted, different fuel rails, adapt to the stock fuel lines or make new braided lines, 90* elbow, different throttle body, fabricate a throttle cable brackets, etc. It's much more involved than just bolting on a manifold.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Teching In

I think "3x" is a little overstated. I do it for much less than that, but I shop around, don't get reamed out on machine work, and weld myself. I don't see anyone needing an LT4 intake who doesn't need it worked to the heads. In this case, the price goes up on the total intake cost. So, in this case, that single plane's price becomes dangerously close. Remember that most people who have come up with a set of LT4 heads, be it stock or aftermarket, invested. At this point, I don't see the extra 500 or so for a single plane (on top of the Edelbrock intake cost) being out of this world.

The LTx tunnel ram style and short runners just don't rub me the right way.

But, after all, I wont tell someone off because we are all here to mod and tweak things, even if they don't have seat-of-the-pants results. As a matter of opinion, it probably takes a bigger man than me to afford this Edelbrock manifold (in terms of cost per unit power). Anything, after all, is an improvement over OE.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Banned

Those guys are on the east coast with -1700 and better DAs and both are competitive racers in the ECIRS series who trailer to the track. Mine is a street car I happen to go to the T&T nights with, so I do not expect to really compete with them.

Karl will in all likelyhood go faster than I but his car is more setup for racing and he more dedicated to pushing the limits, he was the first to push an NA LT1 b-body into the 10s BOTH of his b-bodies have run 10s and he is becoming an accomplished LT1 engine builder, the FIRST I will recommend to anyone asking for an LT1 builder.

The fact you feel you need a ringer like that to top my ET is quite a compliment, thank you.
Dwayne,

Exactly.... you never line up next to them in a real race... instead you pound on the drums of your "record".... to consider yourself a winner go put your name at the top of the list at the annual Impala meet. It can't be that far to drive, hell I just did 1500miles each way to go watch a race last weekend.

And Yes, Karl will put about .1-.3" on you.... "ringer" or not it's all about weight, traction and average TQ. Stumpy never ran his LE stuff on a "stock shortblock" but lord knows those 5 cubes make that motor so much more powerfull

Bret

Quick Reply: Summit is officially selling the Edelbrock LT1 and LT4 manifold.