LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 LT1 Questions (harness/chip content)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 LT1 Questions (harness/chip content)

I did search but had some trouble locating what I was looking for. This by no means implies that it isn't out there, just that I failed to locate it.

Anyway,

I am picking up an LT1 for a swap project, and it is from a 93 trans am. I have this link here:

http://shbox.com/1/harness.htm

Is that pretty much the same as the 93?

The below is mine, and I must admit I have never seen such a ghetto looking ecu, but are all the connections/locations pretty much the same?

http://img453.imageshack.us/my.php?image=harnesswf5.jpg

Also, I will need vats/emissions removed, and I saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOT-9...QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone have any comments about this or know someone who has ordered from him? Seems fairly legit, but no point in wasting money (he does offer a moneyback guarantee).

Any other advice would be great. I haven't really done something quite of this magnitude car-wise before so I apologize if these seem like noob questions.

*EDIT/CLARIFICATION* This is a 93 engine, 93 trans, with a 93 harness and ecu. It is a complete pullout from a 93 trans am. The 95 harness picture is only for an installation guide.

Last edited by Aeneas; 03-16-2007 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks like a 93 ECM to me. Its not like the other years. The harness I don't think will work since a 93 doesn't use a Mass Air Flow.

As far as that eBay, doesn't seem toooo bad to me. That adapter is $30 itself. Programing your own isn't all that hard, but finding someone to burn it is. The chips are only $5-9 on Moates.net. You can use TunerPro to mod a chip.

I have the ECM file and a tuned version of the chip on my FTP if you want to look at it, or use it. However I haven't even got it burned yet so I don't know how it'll even work yet. I apparently have someone lined up, we'll see. It has, so I think lol, the Emissions removed. I left VATs but that's easy to see how to remove. The volumetric efficiency tables are smoothed out and upped a little, and I don't remember, but I think I changed the torque lock up. Smooth and tweaked the Spark as well.

www.arctec.org/~maxpain/93LT1/
Old 03-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Teching In

My post was kind of confusing, let me clarify.

I have a complete 93 LT1 motor/trans with the 93 harness. The reason I linked the 95 harness was as a comparison to the 93. I will need a guide so I can install the harness on the engine, and I was wondering if the 95 is close enough so that I can use that picture as a basic guide to installing mine.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ah ok. Yea, the computer plugs would've been a huge problem haha. And on that note, alot of hotrod builders kinda like the 94+ because of it's weather pack ECM. Just a thought

Anyways, everything looks right, aside from maybe a plug or two looking different. The IAC looks like a good example. Ours is square-4 and that looks to be flat.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

To put a 93 harness on a 95 LT1 you'll have these differences :
93 harness does not have a MAF, the oil pressure sensor on 93 lt1 is located above the oil filter housing which requires a longer wire to reach it, on later LT1s the oil pressure sensor was located on the back of the manifold so your 93 oil pressure harness WILL reach the 95 sensor.
The 93 O2 sensors are DIFFERENT than 94-97. 93 has one wire and 94-97 have 4 wires to the O2 sensors from the harness. For that matter, you'll need to purchase a 93 O2 sensors to hook to your 95 Y pipe in order to be able to use the one wire harness on your 93 to your O2 sensors. In other words you can't use 94-97 O2 sensors with a 93 harness.
1993 is a weird year I personally don't like it. The intake is different, the air pump and air injection system was different than 94-97, 93 is a year of it's own, the fuel lines were shorter and they hooked to the front of the engine instead of the back, also if I'm not mistaking, either the IAC or the TPS sensor harness is differemt than 94-97.
Can I ask you WHY r u using a 93 harness on your 95?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

forgot to say another thing, the computer plugs wouldn't be a huge problem, it's actually impossible so if you wanna use a 93 harness on your 95, then you MUST use the 93 computer as well. hey bro, do yourself a favor and leave that 93 alone, it's a mess, I've been there when I bought an engine off ebay and was told it's a 96 and the very hard way found out it was a 93, I got screwed.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:52 AM
Teching In

Wow I really confused you guys with the first post, sorry about that.

This is a 93 engine, 93 trans, with a 93 harness and ecu. It is a complete pullout from a 93 trans am. The 95 harness picture is only for an installation guide.

*On another note, how are the o2's setup on the 93's? Are there 2 primary o2's and no after-cat o2's?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Teching In

93's only use 2 O2's (OBDI). They are pre cat.

I installed a 93 lt1 into an 86 short/wide chevy.
Luckily, when i bought the engine, the previous owner had VATS and EGR removed, Hot cam kit installed, and the chip was already programmed.
It came with a Painless wiring harness, so everything was labeled already. Its not to tricky to install, just takes some time, patience, and alot of cussing.
I ran the ECM into the cab, and mounted under the seat, looks *******!!

93 lt1's arent a POS, they are just different from what most people run... due to it being speed density and not MAF.

For alot of great info on these: www.speeddensity.org

Good luck
Old 03-16-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol poor Blue, wasted a good 10+mins typing

Most hotrodders run the Speed Density just because of no MAF. Toss a K&N cone filter on the TBody and you're set. Speaking of TBody, the 91-92 are the same except for the TPS. From what I can tell, it only takes swapping the TPS plug to make it work. Which I plan to do since I have the 58mm off my 91 TPI motor.

Quick Reply: 93 LT1 Questions (harness/chip content)