LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best Cut-Out?

Old 03-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Cut-Out?

I am wanting to get a cut-out, but am not really sure on what to buy. Which cut-out sounds the best and does anyone have a sound clip? Also, does the size of the cutout have to be the same as my down-pipe or can I get as big as I want? Any reccomendations or advice is greatly appreciated...And one more thing, where is the best place to buy?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95Firehawk
I am wanting to get a cut-out, but am not really sure on what to buy. Which cut-out sounds the best and does anyone have a sound clip? Also, does the size of the cutout have to be the same as my down-pipe or can I get as big as I want? Any reccomendations or advice is greatly appreciated...And one more thing, where is the best place to buy?
(snickers), a cutout is not like a muffler bro, it's not like it has chambers that it gos through which could cause a different sound to come out. Either cutout that you choose, the car will still sound the same. Actually where you place it is more important. Make sure you don't place it to close upfront. Either way you'll lose some backpressure and some bottom end power, but placing the cutout to close, say rught after the headers will cause major loss in backpressure which ='s major loss in bottom end.

But I suggest going stainless. Whatever brand you choose that's up to you, but stainless steel is the way to go. I just purchased a QTP stainless cutout myself.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Qtp +1
Old 03-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Launching!

ok, sorry- I'm kind of a n00b. So I went to the QTP website and there is a ton of different cut-outs...which one do I get? Is there any other sites to order from?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

I've had 3 QTP motors fail in less than a year.
The gains were minimal over the 3" hooker muffler, I just took it off alltogether.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

I have dual cutouts right off the headers. I wanted to have it dumped prior to the cats.
On the dyno, it showed a peak of 13rwtq and averaged about 9 rwtq more with the cutout open across the entire run without losing any low-end torque.
Without cats, I don't know if it would make much of a difference but you wouldn't lose bottom end. It would probably be too loud under the car to have it open when cruising.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 Formula
I have dual cutouts right off the headers. I wanted to have it dumped prior to the cats.
On the dyno, it showed a peak of 13rwtq and averaged about 9 rwtq more with the cutout open across the entire run without losing any low-end torque.
Without cats, I don't know if it would make much of a difference but you wouldn't lose bottom end. It would probably be too loud under the car to have it open when cruising.
Agreed. Just jumping in to comment on a common mistake. Its a common misconception that backpressure=tq. Backpressure is fancy word for restriction, its always a bad thing. Quick snippets from another site:

"Another furphy that has widespread currency is the concept that engines need back-pressure. Simply, there is no properly tuned engine where increasing exhaust back-pressure causes an improvement - in power, torque or fuel economy. One of the reasons that this idea has gained support is because when people change their exhaust they seldom check the air/fuel ratio or re-map the ignition timing to once again give optimal performance. For example, some MAP sensed cars drop substantially in power with a large exhaust fitted because they are then running lean."
-and-

"Wollongong (Australia) mechanic Kevin Davis is one who has done very extensive testing of varying back-pressure on a number of performance engines. These range from turbocharged Subaru Liberty [Legacy] RS flat fours to full-house traditional pushrod V8's. In not one case has he found any improvement in any engine performance parameter by increasing exhaust back-pressure! The tests came about because Kevin has developed a patented variable flow exhaust that uses a butterfly within the exhaust pipe. He initially expected to use the system to cause some back-pressure at low loads "to help torque". However, he soon changed his mind when any increase in back-pressure proved to decrease torque (and therefore power at those revs) on a properly tuned engine! What increasing the back-pressure does do is dramatically quieten the exhaust.

One of the engine dyno tests carried out by Kevin was on warm 351 4V Cleveland V8. Following the extractors, he fitted a huge exhaust that gave a measured zero back-pressure. Torque peaked at 423 ft-lb at 4700 rpm, with power a rousing 441hp at 6300 rpm. He then dialled-in 1.5 psi back-pressure. Note that very few exhausts are capable of delivering such a low back-pressure on a road car. Even with this small amount of back-pressure, peak torque dropped by 4 per cent and peak power by 5 per cent. He then changed the butterfly position to give 2.5 psi back-pressure. Torque and power decreased again, both dropping by 7 per cent over having zero back-pressure!"
You will not lose tq anywhere in the rpm range assuming the car is tuned properly.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94 Formula
Are those numbers open VS closed or open VS no cutouts at all?

I gained about 9rwtq and 4rwhp with them open VS closed.
But only 3rwtq over what I had without cutouts.
(Translation: Closed cutouts made less power than no cutouts)
Old 03-27-2007, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by James Montigny
I've had 3 QTP motors fail in less than a year.
The gains were minimal over the 3" hooker muffler, I just took it off alltogether.
Your talking about ecutouts, were talking about "cutouts" the manual cutout doesn't fail. Now if your going to go with a ecutout then DMH is the way to go.

Also your not going to notice any real gains from a cutout like I mentioned earlier. Especially if you just goof around on the street. You will loose some back pressure which will cause you to loose some bottom end power (launching).

With a cutout you'll gain a few horsepower but loose some torque, torque is what you feel, what pulls the car.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bossz28
Your talking about ecutouts, were talking about "cutouts" the manual cutout doesn't fail. Now if your going to go with a ecutout then DMH is the way to go.
AHA now we're on the same page.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95Firehawk
ok, sorry- I'm kind of a n00b. So I went to the QTP website and there is a ton of different cut-outs...which one do I get? Is there any other sites to order from?

For the price buy a stainless manual cutout. 3inch. If you feel compelled to buy a electric motor for it later on you always can. I think the ecutout is useless imo. I never run the cutout open around town only at car shows and at the track, so there's no point blowing 200 bux for something that won't be used.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

+1 on the DMH good quality electrical cutouts..
Old 03-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Are those numbers open VS closed or open VS no cutouts at all?

I gained about 9rwtq and 4rwhp with them open VS closed.
But only 3rwtq over what I had without cutouts.
(Translation: Closed cutouts made less power than no cutouts)
Those numbers are open VS closed, though I do want to get a new plate made up that will smooth out the flow at the cutout when it is closed.
On a good free-flowing exhaust system a cutout won't do much as I think you've seen.(3rwtq wouldn't be worth putting in a cutout for performance and could be dyno variation)
On mine, I have to run cats so I wanted the cutouts ahead of them which means right after the headers.

Backpressure isn't needed on a properly tuned engine. Exhaust scavenging is which is why you don't want to put a cutout too far up the system.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Puck
Agreed. Just jumping in to comment on a common mistake. Its a common misconception that backpressure=tq. Backpressure is fancy word for restriction, its always a bad thing. Quick snippets from another site:

-and-

You will not lose tq anywhere in the rpm range assuming the car is tuned properly.
Kind of off topic but do you have some links with dyno graphs?

I have been saying this for years now and everyone just says no, cars need backpressure. Would sure to kindly inform them of some tests in the area.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

The benefit of a cutout increases as the power output increases. Those who have bolt-on LT1's will see minimal gain over a free flow muffler by going to a cutout.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gained about 10 rwhp and 1 rwtq from stock exhaust to open cutout. I bought mine for the sound though.

Search this Thread