LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Are duals for me? cutout vs. true duals

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Are duals for me? cutout vs. true duals

I'm pretty determined to run duals on my car and I really like the Classic Chambered mufflers that EAD (sponsor) offers. I chose them because everyone says GMMG is sex on our cars and so I figured why not use chambered mufflers on a true dual setup which is supposed to be the best sounding exhaust. Best of both world right?!

My question is if there really is a huge sound difference between the powerstick and powerpacks? If you need something to compare it too...I LOVE the way my car sounds through the open cutout with the cam but hate the drone. So basically I like loud but don't know how loud these mufflers will be compared to open cutout. (Other mods are in sig) I haven't decided on length yet but probably short or medium because I don't think the long ones will fit.

I already know my duals will be through Mac midlength headers, H pipe, 2.5" piping, under the axle, and out the back. I haven't decided on cats or not yet. What do you think? Thanks for any help or comparisons you can give me. I actually have never heard duals in person on an F-body since no one near me has them so I have no idea what to expect. I just know what I have heard on the internet and I'm sure that it really kills the sound.

Last edited by porksoda; 09-06-2007 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree about the internet killing the sound. Everything seems to sound about the same online. I am doing the same thing as you, switching from an ORY/cutout setup to true duals under the axle. I havnt had a chance to install them (summit 3" x kit and 16" dynomax bullets sitting in my room) yet but if I get to it soon I will let you know the sound difference. From what I have read duals sound amazing.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

duals are great. and if you are going all the way out the back with it, the drone will be minimized. you really get that if you run dumps under the car because the sound bounces off the ground and right back at your floorboard.

post up your final results, ive never seen anybody do under the axle and make it look worth a ****. was going to do it myself at first but just never found any good results so i went over. good luck to you.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

true duals FTMFW....and yes the sounds bounces if you mid dump, but some of us like that noisy ****!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

here you go,under the axle w/1ch. flo's 2.5 X-pipe.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ that looks pretty nice. tucked in well. any shots of it on the ground??
Old 09-06-2007, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I went out of the sides with mine and it makes a huge difference in the drone...I run 3" with an X and Edelbrock SDT 304s...Its routed so that the exhaust comes out of the mufflers with a U bend back towards the front of the car and out behind the doors on both sides...Its back cut a few inches under the car, because I still can't decide if I should get tips or not, but the sound is great and no vibrations, drones, annoyances...

I need to take some pix of it and post it...Its just one more way to do it...

--Alan
Old 09-06-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ABA383
I went out of the sides with mine and it makes a huge difference in the drone...I run 3" with an X and Edelbrock SDT 304s...Its routed so that the exhaust comes out of the mufflers with a U bend back towards the front of the car and out behind the doors on both sides...Its back cut a few inches under the car, because I still can't decide if I should get tips or not, but the sound is great and no vibrations, drones, annoyances...

I need to take some pix of it and post it...Its just one more way to do it...

--Alan

TENGO MAS PICTURAS!!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

I'm running spiral flows out the back and I have no drone. I also get compliments on the sound all the time with it.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

What I really want is the sound of the lope to come through. The 5-10rwhp really isn't a concern to me. As a matter of fact I probably wouldn't even gain that much, I'm just really wanting a change in sound. With the Magnaflow catback I have now it really does its job of muffling. Thats why I like the cutout is because you can hear the lope really come through. I mean it chops with it open and thats what I want but out the back because the drone kills it for me.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Any more opinions? How much louder will the duals be compared to the open cutout? Also will I get the same lope through the duals?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

yes all the lope will come through with duals. it will make it sound like a different car for sure. and it will turn up the volume on top of that. which for some people is too much. I would have liked to go that route. but I knew it wouldnt help me sell it cause most people will say its too loud. but Ive only heard bullets. thats what I had on my iroc true duals.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

So duals will be alot louder than my open cutout? (Mods are in my sig) Think I should run cats or no?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Id say no cats, see how you like it. the cats can lower the volume, and still leave the lope/tone of the duals. I think cats also make it deeper by canceling out some of the rasp. never tried it back to back though. always had offroad pipes.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Thats what I'm thinking is to do no cats to see how loud it will be then if I think its too loud then I will buy the cats and get them welded in. This way I save money if I decide to not have them.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by porksoda
So duals will be alot louder than my open cutout? (Mods are in my sig) Think I should run cats or no?
Mine's not too loud inside the car with spiral flows that I ran out the back under the axle. I can talk on the phone or carry on a conversation inside the car.

Quick Reply: Are duals for me? cutout vs. true duals