LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 vs LS1

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coonass350
wow there are alot of post here lol but i know that it takes money to play. its all about how much you wanna spend and how much you can spend.
Coon, for your answer: I have had 5 LT1 cars and 1 LS1 car that I currently own. Yes the LT1 was a great motor of its time but the LS1 is new technology and responds much better to modifications. With an LS1 you can do heads/cam and get an easy 450 rwhp where as you do heads and cam on LT1 and might get upper 300's if you go all out. You have to stroke an LT1 to keep up with an LS1 with heads/cam. When it comes to boost, they are both great for it but there are many different types of kits for the LS1 that bolt right up where as the LT1 you will have to modify them a little in most cases. The problem I had with the LT1 motors were them leaking oil from every place possible. The rear main just doesnt stay sealed long. The distributor on the LT1 is underneath the water pump (not sure who decided to do that) and if it goes bad...so does your distributor. They are not that hard to change but it is still aggrivating. The only problem I have had with my LS1 is....well I dont have any. I will personally never own another LT1 now that I can afford the LS1. I recommend saving for an LS1 car because you can litteraly do heads/cam/rear end and spray and run 10s all day. Its just newer technology, it makes sense. I have nothing against the LT1 cars, i loved mine and had a lot of fun with them, but the LS1 is just better in my opinion in every aspect.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have owned 2 LT1s and have test driven 4 or 5 LS1s, I would have bought the LS1 if my funds weren't cut short. I will say this though, to me, the seat of the pants feel is a lot more present in the LT1. There's no doubt that stock for stock the LS1 is faster, especially when you look at the speedo but to me, the LT1 had a more violent delivery than the LS1. Its almost like the mustang. I have been in numerous GTs, and the launch feels very hard and throws you back but then you look at the speedo and its nowhere near what you though it was. the LS1 is a lot smoother and more refined as far as power delivery. From a dig an LS1 vs. LT1 will be close for a little bit, but once you start to get to the top end, stock for stock, no doubt the LS1 will pull away, unless he is completely retarded or can't drive to save his life.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks PlatinumWS6 & GreenBlood, i appreciate your comments. thats what i was looking for. ppl that have either owned both LT1s and LS1s or had driven both and i am for sure going to save up for the LS1 vehicle. but i do have to say i like the sound of the LT1 better, them ho's sound mean as hell. but i am going for speed not sound so i am going to save up for the LS1 vehicle.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:18 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I wish my '94 had an LSx engine in it. Personally, I hate what they did with the styling of the LSx Camaros. That front end had to be influenced by some sort of hallucinogen.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you heard an LS1 with a true dual system with the sweet thunders? Maybe the GMMG chambered catback? They sound freakin sweet! LT1's do sound great though...
check out www.LS1sounds.com
Old 12-19-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BTC
I wish my '94 had an LSx engine in it. Personally, I hate what they did with the styling of the LSx Camaros. That front end had to be influenced by some sort of hallucinogen.
or a marine biologist
Old 12-19-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

lmao
Old 12-19-2007, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by letsrun97z

lmao

I have seen that pic a hundred times but it's usually got a 4 banger under Richards arms not an LT1.

I was about to say how bad that is for you to post that. But then I see you drive a 97 Z28. So I guess it's like the black guys that use the "N" word. It's ok for you to use it
Old 12-19-2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by davidv
because some people can handle arguments and will start saying **** and stuff that does not have to anything with the topic.
That can happen in any thread with any topic.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

haha love that pic man! lol but ill check out the sounds PlatinumWS6
Old 12-19-2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
Yeah there is alot of post in here. 6 pages worth in 2 days. Its because people would rather argue about something as pointless as the LT1 vs LS1 debate than give ACTUAL advice on technical issues regarding engines.

BLAH BLAH ******* BLAH.
Alot of people do give technical advice, and alot of people like to give their opinion. There's nothing wrong with either. Also, when considering what car to buy, for most people, there's alot more to take into account than just performance. Price, interior, looks, color options, etc. There's no reason that every answer has to be "technical".
Old 12-19-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

thank you ScreaminRedZ your absolutely correct, i dont like to be technical all the damn time and especially now that i am looking for a car to buy.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Platinum WS6
Coon, for your answer: I have had 5 LT1 cars and 1 LS1 car that I currently own. Yes the LT1 was a great motor of its time but the LS1 is new technology and responds much better to modifications. With an LS1 you can do heads/cam and get an easy 450 rwhp where as you do heads and cam on LT1 and might get upper 300's if you go all out. You have to stroke an LT1 to keep up with an LS1 with heads/cam. .

WTF?

First off, all out for a Heads/Cam LT1 is not 380 rwhp, they can hit that with some bolts on and stage 2 headwork/cam.
Stage 3 guys hit 420-480rwhp and sometimes more with highly modded stage 3 LT1's.
And the 'stroke' is determined by the crank.
A 383/396 stoked LT1 is just the beginning.

Have you heard an LS1 with a true dual system with the sweet thunders? Maybe the GMMG chambered catback? They sound freakin sweet! LT1's do sound great though...
check out www.LS1sounds.com
LS1's can sound nasty but nothing like LT1's.
You just can't beat the firing order and cast iron of the LT1 when it comes to sound.
LS1's sound like popcorn machines even with large cams.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by darrensls1
You don't need to talk in caps in order to get a point across. And do you honestly believe that no one has ever sank a ton of money into a LT1? You can't build a 8 second LT1 with pocket change.

Believe me when I say that there is always someone out there that wants to own a record. I'm sure several people have made attempts at a 7 second LT1 and fell short for reasons other then cash.

Motors and mods go hand in hand. The good news is that both the LT1 and LS1 respond very well to them. You just have to accept the fact that stock for stock the LS1 is faster, mod for mod (mods and trannies being equal) the LS1 is faster.

You don't need to take that personally because it's absolutely not personal. I don't take it personally that 03 cobras are faster then LS1's stock for stock and mod for mod.
HAHA I JUST HAD IT IN CAPS THATS ALL THERE IS NOTHING HERE THATS WAS SAID TO BE TAKEN PERSONALLY....YOU ARE WEIRD! OH AND I HAVE AN LT1 WITH A 101 TURBO ON IT SO I KNOW WHAT KIND OF MONEY IT TAKES AND YES MONEY IS THE REAL FACTOR IN GOING FAST

IN FACT I STARTED WITH A LT1 CAUSE I WAS GOING TO BOOST IT AND I WANTED AN IRON BLOCK AND 5 BOLT HOLES PER CYLINDER TO START WITH......ALSO I DON'T PUSH COOLANT LIKE AN LS1 BLOCK...

Last edited by otherwhitemeat; 12-19-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by burnzilla
WTF?

First off, all out for a Heads/Cam LT1 is not 380 rwhp, they can hit that with some bolts on and stage 2 headwork/cam.
Stage 3 guys hit 420-480rwhp and sometimes more with highly modded stage 3 LT1's.
And the 'stroke' is determined by the crank.
A 383/396 stoked LT1 is just the beginning.
Have you done heads/cam on your car? What did it make if you did? On my last LT1 I messed up and did the LT4 conversion kit with the hotcam (and I messed up by doing this) and I got 335 rwhp.....whoopty friggn doo.... I am glad that you know what stroking a motor means...u passed the test for the day you idiot.... and show me a stock bottom end with heads and cam that is streetable making 480 to the tires b/c I have never seen one. My friend had a 97 WS6, bought AFR LT4 heads, intake, Futral Motorsports custom grind to match the head flow, hooker LTs, underdrive pulley, no emissions or cats, and had it tuned by Jeff Creech up in NC...results were 380 rwhp and 362 tq after countless pulls of tuning. We raced after all that was done and my BOLT ON LS1 put a fender on him from 0-100, missing no shifts or lack of traction b/c we both hooked fine. You can dream all you want about doing heads and cam and getting 480 out of a LT1 Burnzilla....maybe you should quit burning those joints....

I use to own an LT1 and think like you too b/c I had never owned an LS1 and always felt like an underdog. LT1 is a great motor, but be realistic on results. You have to do a crazy heads/cam to get 480 out of a LS1.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Burnzilla.....people like you create the war between the LT1 and LS1. I stated facts abotu what I have seen and experienced with my own vehicles and friends that I have helped build. If you have real evidence of what you have to say and can back it up then more power to you, but I bet you dont. I never said anything bad about the Lt1 motor, stated facts for the thread starter. I guess you felt like you were being put down. Get a life man and add useful information. You act like this is a ford vs chevy match.....quit crying, it makes you look bad
Old 12-19-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Have you done heads/cam on your car? What did it make if you did? On my last LT1 I messed up and did the LT4 conversion kit with the hotcam (and I messed up by doing this) and I got 335 rwhp.....whoopty friggn doo.... I am glad that you know what stroking a motor means...u passed the test for the day you idiot.... and show me a stock bottom end with heads and cam that is streetable making 480 to the tires b/c I have never seen one. My friend had a 97 WS6, bought AFR LT4 heads, intake, Futral Motorsports custom grind to match the head flow, hooker LTs, underdrive pulley, no emissions or cats, and had it tuned by Jeff Creech up in NC...results were 380 rwhp and 362 tq after countless pulls of tuning. We raced after all that was done and my BOLT ON LS1 put a fender on him from 0-100, missing no shifts or lack of traction b/c we both hooked fine. You can dream all you want about doing heads and cam and getting 480 out of a LT1 Burnzilla....maybe you should quit burning those joints....

I use to own an LT1 and think like you too b/c I had never owned an LS1 and always felt like an underdog. LT1 is a great motor, but be realistic on results. You have to do a crazy heads/cam to get 480 out of a LS1.
I WILL HAVE TO SAY THE PARTS YOU PART ON YOUR OLD LT1 TO GET 380HP ARE NOT VERY GOOD RACE PARTS....THERE ARE MUCH BETTER HEAD CAM COMBOS THAT WILL MAKE A LT1 PUT OUT CLOSE OR MORE THE 500 RWHP. THAT LIKE SAYING A SMC CAN'T DO THAT BUT IT CAN...THOUGH IT WILL BE VERY AGGESSIVE. LT1... LS1 THE MOTOR IS JUST A AIR PUMP SO I REALLY IS JUST UP TO WHAT YOU PUT ON IT
Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

I agree that his #'s seem out of whack for a H& C lt1. Two things concern me about you though. First who the ***** does the "LT4" conversion?? Thats a joke! And do you actually have the intake in your sig? They suck bro!
Old 12-19-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Exactly
Old 12-19-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97blkz
I agree that his #'s seem out of whack for a H& C lt1. Two things concern me about you though. First who the ***** does the "LT4" conversion?? Thats a joke! And do you actually have the intake in your sig? They suck bro!
I did the LT4 kit b/c I didnt know any better at that time...it was like 4 years ago and I bought the kit by a recommendation...I SAID IT WAS A MISTAKE. As far as a joke...your the one with a 396 still in the 13's BRO, i ran a 13.2 stock, paper filter, street tires with low psi.... I picked up 13 rwhp and 10 lbs tq on the dyno with my intake swap only and bought it for $150...bro

Coonass enjoy your LS1.... I am going to stay out of the LT1 section.

Quick Reply: LT1 vs LS1