LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ram Air vs K&N

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007 | 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmmm that would mean convert to Speed density or get real creative.
Old 12-27-2007 | 07:33 AM
Launching!

Bah, just put the maf right on top the TB.
Old 12-27-2007 | 09:05 AM
On The Tree

I have run a K/N CAI, then factory LT1 Ram Air setup, now LS1 lid setup.

I think they all provide more air than my motor an even use. However, the WS6 setup provided the coldest air. I only switched to the LS1 style setup because I went to the '98up front end. The LS1 ram air setup doesn't even seal to the hood like the LT1 style Ram air setup.

I used to remove my air filter at the track with the LT1 WS6 setup, you could look in the front of the hood and see my red Holley throttle blades.

I strongly believe that the '96-'97 Factory WS6 Ram air is the best you can get on an LT1 Firebird.
Old 12-27-2007 | 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Puck
A stock cube LT1 just doesnt breathe enough air to make a FIPK a restriction - and that is with ported heads,intake, and a healthy custom cam. I bet with a brand new filter there would be maybe 1hp different - an altogether insignificant number when talking about dyno hp.
The stock intake on the LT1 Fbodies is one of the most restrictive air-intake designs in the history of GM performance. They even admitted it.
Dyno proven results show aftermarket CAI's giving 4-9 hp on stock and modded cars. GM performance even did a small project about 4-5 months ago on a 94 Formula, when they gave it a Thunder Racing Performance Package, which included a K&N Intake, Air Foil and Magna-Flow Catback.
Results where 12-15hp, and the car went from 14.1's to 13.9's and some 13.8's on better passes.

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Box will Always be better. CAI inside hood, sucking up warm air....err...NO.
The K&N and Moroso Intake have been proven to outperform stock Ram Air, even on the birds.
The lid is the best.

On my Moroso intake the filter is located far below the old intake box and DOES get cold air, then is passes through my aluminum high-temp ceramic coated elbow.
Old 12-27-2007 | 01:03 PM
Banned

Default Here is the article.

This is a different article but very similar.
They do some tweaks, a tune-up and add a lower thermo and get nearly 25-30hp with basic mods.
Now tell me the LT1 isn't choked out again

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...age/index.html

^ Article
Old 12-27-2007 | 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

The word itself "cold air" intake, the system is getting air outside the engine compartment,hence colder denser air.
The ram air to me seeem to benefit more when the car is moving at a speed, most of the time, it's sucking hot air(hot air rises from the engine). I've had my Callaway Honker(now bought by MOROSO)originally designed by Callaway since I bought my Z28 new in1994.Now,every big name performance company make their own design but with the same concept"cold air intake" Hope this clear things up a bit,,,ram air vs. cold air.
Old 12-27-2007 | 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BOLO
The word itself "cold air" intake, the system is getting air outside the engine compartment,hence colder denser air.
The ram air to me seeem to benefit more when the car is moving at a speed, most of the time, it's sucking hot air(hot air rises from the engine). cold air.
Ram Air is a hoax.
Old 12-27-2007 | 04:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by burnzilla
Ram Air is a hoax.
My ram air is no hoax

It is sealed to the hood.

Gains of a CAI over a stock intake tract on a LT1 are hugely documented.

If you think about it HOW could a CAI be better than a LT1 WS6 style box?? Even the longer the tube the throttlebody has to suck through is detrimental, even if it was straight, but two 90* turns in it makes it even worse!

A K&N CAI with a larger filter will flow 1300cfm, enough to support 700hp normally aspirated. A WS6 style is better.

A buddy of mine had a normally aspirated LT1 that ran 10.60 all motor. Had a FAST system with an open throttle body. We put my K&N CAI on with no filter and it picked up almost a tenth.

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 12-27-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2007 | 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kahunaking
Anyone have any sugestions as to where to get an airbox? I know im going to have to modify it some since my car is a 93 and its speed density.
Suncoast creations makes an identical replica to a WS6 LT1 airbox.

David
Old 12-27-2007 | 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
My ram air is no hoax

It is sealed to the hood.

Gains of a CAI over a stock intake tract on a LT1 are hugely documented.

If you think about it HOW could a CAI be better than a LT1 WS6 style box?? Even the longer the tube the throttlebody has to suck through is detrimental, even if it was straight, but two 90* turns in it makes it even worse!
You have an airbox. Thats what makes it work.
Youre hood helps but makes no real world difference, it would be be too small to calculate.

Ram Air itself is a hoax.
The actual scoops don't do anything and have been proven not to help until very high speeds, in excess of 180mph and even then the effect is barely any.
If you put a cowl hood on your car you wouldn't lose/gain any performance.

Lid's use air that is picked up off the fan, and they are open more, which is why they work so well.
__
Btw, your car looks nasty.
Old 12-27-2007 | 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

fastfat, awesome setup you have there.

Fireman, did you have an aftermarket hood? cuz on my stock ws6 hood i cut the baffles out of it ( im sure they are for rain) so you can actually see my airbox.

I think most of the testing on this is bs because A) you cannot test ramair on a dyno as said before

And B) if you have a stock ws6 hood with the baffles in it, its not going to get a straight shot of air

Getting back to what fastfat said about the 90*s, remember, every 90= 3 feet, thats alot of system, when my airbox has a straight shot right to my tb. I dont know where the filter sits on a kn setup, but i would have to think it would be impossible for it to suck in more air then my ramair setup, not to mention if it is in between the bumper and inner fender where not a ton of air comes in.. Not that i am one to talk with my baffles cut ouf of my hood, but i also like that the ramair isnt to close to the road and all the dirt,leaves,water ect
Old 12-27-2007 | 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Fastfatboy. Nice set up you got there by the way! The way it looks, you have no other choice but to run a ram air set up with that intake up there. So naturally, you'll favor the ram air set up over the cold air system.
Old 12-27-2007 | 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by burnzilla
You have an airbox. Thats what makes it work.
Youre hood helps but makes no real world difference, it would be be too small to calculate.

Ram Air itself is a hoax.
The actual scoops don't do anything and have been proven not to help until very high speeds, in excess of 180mph and even then the effect is barely any.
If you put a cowl hood on your car you wouldn't lose/gain any performance.

Lid's use air that is picked up off the fan, and they are open more, which is why they work so well.
__
Btw, your car looks nasty.

Really, you might want to do some reading up on that subject.

I used to have a Hayabusa, the ram air affect on that bike was shown to start taking affect closer to 90 mph from datalogs done by the 9/10's racers, tuners down in Miami. Any GOOD sportbike tuner will richen up the top end FOR this affect.

What makes mine work is where the airbox IS LOCATED, that IS a pressure area on the hood, dont believe me? Unlatch your hood and go drive the car...will your hood fly up, yep. At what speed? Less than 35 mph. So if there is enough air flowing over the car at 35 mph to lift the hood up, even with the hoodshocks disconnected..I THINK there would be a ram air affect ALOT sooner than 100mph.

My car WOULD slow down with a cowl hood, it would get HOT air from the engine compartment instead of cooler air outside the engine compartment.

And LS1 DOES NOT get air "from the fans" Are you kidding? It gets its air from the hole in between the hood latch and core support, that air is pushed up there by the plastic flap UNDER the lower core support, the same air that is pushed up to cool the radiator.

David
Old 12-27-2007 | 05:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Fastfatboy. Nice set up you got there by the way! The way it looks, you have no other choice but to run a ram air set up with that intake up there. So naturally, you'll favor the ram air set up over the cold air system.
How do you figure that? I could put a cai on there VERY easy....I had it all on there and changed my mind.

It looked similar to this:

David
Old 12-27-2007 | 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am assuming that the power difference between the two setups are so minute that it doesnt matter. I think I will just go with the ram air setup because I personaly think it looks better when you open the hood.
Old 12-27-2007 | 06:20 PM
Banned

Really, you might want to do some reading up on that subject.

I used to have a Hayabusa, the ram air affect on that bike was shown to start taking affect closer to 90 mph from datalogs done by the 9/10's racers, tuners down in Miami. Any GOOD sportbike tuner will richen up the top end FOR this affect.

I THINK there would be a ram air affect ALOT sooner than 100mph.
A bikes radiator is right out in the open... just like my quadzilla.
Thats not the same and even then the difference is not much.
The air is not being 'forced' into the motor
It just gives it all the air it can handle.
A tiny scoop doesn't make a difference...are you serious?

My car WOULD slow down with a cowl hood, it would get HOT air from the engine compartment instead of cooler air outside the engine compartment.
Incorrect.
Your hood does nothing to help performance, just like it does nothing for the Ram Air birds. The performance is from the airbox.
How much those little vents actually help your car breathe is so small its not even calculatable.

And if you actually think air is being forced into your motor, then I don't know what to tell you.
Everyone knows its a joke, and there is no performance difference from a Ram Air bird to a non-Ram Air because they both have lids... thats all it is. The nostrils don't do d.i.c.k.

My hood works better then yours because all of my hot air escapes through my cowl.
You should see the heat come from it.

Your hood is sealed and the air has nowhere to go once it goes in, and since your nostrils aren't really helping anyways, I suggest YOU read up on your stuff.

And LS1 DOES NOT get air "from the fans" Are you kidding? It gets its air from the hole in between the hood latch and core support, that air is pushed up there by the plastic flap UNDER the lower core support, the same air that is pushed up to cool the radiator.
The Lid works better then the airbox, as it gets some of the air that is used for the radiator. Thats what I meant.

Last edited by burnzilla; 12-27-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2007 | 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

A bikes radiator is right out in the open... just like my quadzilla.
Thats not the same and even then the difference is not much.
The air is not being 'forced' into the motor
It just gives it all the air it can handle.
A tiny scoop doesn't make a difference...are you serious?

WHAT DOES THE RADIATOR HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?? AND FOR THE RECORD A SPORTBIKE RADIATOR IS BEHIND THE FRONT TIRE. ALL SPORTBIKES HAVE "RAM AIR" SCOOPS ON THE FRONT OF THE FAIRING THAT ARE "SEALED" TO THE AIRBOX, FORCING AIR INTO THE BOX....AGAIN YOU NEED TO DO SOME READING.

READ UP DUDE

RAM AIR IS NO HOAX

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9910_ram/index.html

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9912_ram/index.html

TRY NOT TO GET HUNG UP ON WHAT MPH THE NON EXISTANT RAM AIR TAKES AFFECT, READ VERY WELL...IT IS DIFFERENT ON EACH BIKE. THE MPH IS EVEN LOWER ON A CAR WITH A BIGGER FRONTAL AREA AND BIGGER NOSTRILS

Incorrect.
Your hood does nothing to help performance, just like it does nothing for the Ram Air birds. The performance is from the airbox.
How much those little vents actually help your car breathe is so small its not even calculatable.

WELL MY CAR AT 3800LBS RUNS 124 MPH IN THE 1/4, MY IAT TEMPS ARE LOWER THAN A TYPICAL CAI BY 10-15 DEGREES OR SO, SO YES IT DOES HELP MY CAR GO FASTER. HOW HOT IS PAVEMENT? DAMN HOT, WHERE IS THE FILTER ON YOUR CAI? ABOUT 2 FEET UNDER WHERE MINE IS. THE BOX IS SEALED TO THE HOOD, SO IT MUST BREATHE PRETTY GOOD...AND OH BTW, ED WRIGHT WENT 9.90 ALL MOTOR WITH THE EXACT SAME WS6 STYLE SETUP.IF THE PERFORMANCE IS FROM THE AIRBOX, WHERE DOES THE AIRBOX GET IT'S AIR???????? IT GETS IT COOLER AIR THROUGH THE NOSTRILS!

And if you actually think air is being forced into your motor, then I don't know what to tell you.
Everyone knows its a joke, and there is no performance difference from a Ram Air bird to a non-Ram Air because they both have lids... thats all it is. The nostrils don't do d.i.c.k.

My hood works better then yours because all of my hot air escapes through my cowl.
You should see the heat come from it.

WOW THATS AN ENGINEERING DEGREE RESPONSE

Your hood is sealed and the air has nowhere to go once it goes in, and since your nostrils aren't really helping anyways, I suggest YOU read up on your stuff.

DUDE I HAVE DONE MY HOMEWORK, YOU WANT THE BOX SEALED TO THE HOOD...DUHHHHHHH! IT GETS COLDER AIR THAT WAY, COLDER AIR MAKES MORE POWER. IT IS SEALED AWAY FROM THE HOT AIR UNDER THE HOOD, YOUR CAI HAS 3 FEET OF PLASTIC TO GET HEAT SOAKED AND HEAT THE INCOMING AIR ON TOP OF IT BEING 12 INCHES OFF THE PAVEMENT(HOT) MY LITTLE 12 INCHES OF CONNECTIONS BETWEEN THE BOX AND MONOBLADE ARE A STRAIGHT SHOT INTO THE THROTTLEBODY, AND ARE FAR LESS PRONE TO HEAT SOAK.

COOLER AIR IS DENSER AIR, DENSER AIR MAKES MORE HORSEPOWER ALL THE TIME EVERYTIME. PERIOD!

The Lid works better then the airbox, as it gets some of the air that is used for the radiator. Thats what I meant.

WHATEVER, PULL UP BESIDE ME AND SEE HOW BAD MY HOOD WORKS.

Tell you what I will do, next time I go to the track I will close off the nostrils and see if it slows down, I already know the answer...I have made block offs for when it rains and have left them in the car and took it down the street and when I stood on the gas it ran like CRAP.....but I will prove it to you nonetheless.

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 12-27-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2007 | 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

If he pulls up beside you, hood for hood, Burnzilla's hood wins handsdown. Yours looks good where it belongs,on a 96 WS6 LT1.
Seriously, let's end this thread, I come to agree both system work best on our LT1 powered machine. HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!
Old 12-27-2007 | 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

If he pulls up beside you, hood for hood, Burnzilla's hood wins handsdown. Yours looks good where it belongs,on a 96 WS6 LT1.
Seriously, let's end this thread, I come to agree both system work best on our LT1 powered machine. HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!

It was not put on the car for looks, it was put on there to serve a purpose. I dont really like the hood personally...but I belive it helps the car.

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 12-27-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2007 | 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Here is another interesting read on non existent ram air affects.

http://www.ws6.com/ramtest.htm

David

Quick Reply: Ram Air vs K&N