LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

SLP TPI Air Foil useful or rubbish? K&N or Moroso Cold Air kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:07 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SLP TPI Air Foil useful or rubbish? K&N or Moroso Cold Air kit?

SLP TPI Air Foil useful or rubbish? Give HP?

K&N or Moroso Cold Air kit? Which give more power and sound LT1?

Or just buy Aftermarket cold air kit With K&N performance filter like sell at ebay???

help plzz!!!

Last edited by ZSU; 01-16-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

The airfoils are arguable, may give a slight HP increase, but nothing you're gonna notice really, in my opinion.

Cold air kits will all give similar HP results, so fit and finish are the best features to look for. I made my own, but theres plenty of good ones around.

Did you get all your cooling issues from last year figured out?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:21 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Question

Originally Posted by SlowGreenTA
The airfoils are arguable, may give a slight HP increase, but nothing you're gonna notice really, in my opinion.

Cold air kits will all give similar HP results, so fit and finish are the best features to look for. I made my own, but theres plenty of good ones around.

Did you get all your cooling issues from last year figured out?
But SLP write at its website add 7hp for airfoil..

And K&N and Moroso brand filters write 17-19HP.. Arent they true?
I found that at ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
but it says it add 12hp?..
I am confused!! By the way, custom intake cost 110$ other brand kits is cost 250$..

And if u mean coolant-oil problem yes its ok repairman fixed it
Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZSU
But SLP write at its website add 7hp for airfoil..

And K&N and Moroso brand filters write 17-19HP.. Arent they true?
I found that at ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
but it says it add 12hp?..
I am confused!! By the way, custom intake cost 110$ other brand kits is cost 250$..

And if u mean coolant-oil problem yes its ok repairman fixed it
Websites lie, an intake is an intake,don't buy ebay junk though. If you wanna make your own thats cool. Alot of people on the forum sell their intake for dirt cheap, 100ish bucks for a k&n, i'd hit that up first.

The airfoil does little to nothing, 7hp my ***,if you can get it for CHEAP, might as well pick it up.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Its true, they claim a 7hp increase for the airfoil. Weather or not you'll notice that is another story, Id say thats on the high end for what they'll actually net you.

The main difference in the CAI systems is the size of the tube running from the filter to the MAF, as you can see on the ebay unit its a smaller tube that uses a silicone step up connector, and on the SLP unit its 2 pipes running into the MAF, probablly gaining more air flow.

My CAI I built looks identical to that ebay unit, except I used a bigger pipe between the filter and MAF, hoewever it doesnt fit quite as nice. I picked up like 2 mph from it in the 1/4 mile, that works out to approx 15-20hp, of course on different days which can change it.

Any CAI option, with or without an airfoil, will net you a nice increase in HP, so the choice is up to you really. Also, they dont make the exhaust sound any different really, the most they do is make the intake have a slight sucking noise sometimes, at least mine does.

Also, consider changing the intake elbow too, as that can also help.

Oh! and Chavez there is right, look for an intake here in the for sale section, although shipping to your area may be a bit pricey.
-Josh
Old 01-16-2008, 05:57 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Originally Posted by SlowGreenTA
Its true, they claim a 7hp increase for the airfoil. Weather or not you'll notice that is another story, Id say thats on the high end for what they'll actually net you.

The main difference in the CAI systems is the size of the tube running from the filter to the MAF, as you can see on the ebay unit its a smaller tube that uses a silicone step up connector, and on the SLP unit its 2 pipes running into the MAF, probablly gaining more air flow.

My CAI I built looks identical to that ebay unit, except I used a bigger pipe between the filter and MAF, hoewever it doesnt fit quite as nice. I picked up like 2 mph from it in the 1/4 mile, that works out to approx 15-20hp, of course on different days which can change it.

Any CAI option, with or without an airfoil, will net you a nice increase in HP, so the choice is up to you really. Also, they dont make the exhaust sound any different really, the most they do is make the intake have a slight sucking noise sometimes, at least mine does.

Also, consider changing the intake elbow too, as that can also help.

Oh! and Chavez there is right, look for an intake here in the for sale section, although shipping to your area may be a bit pricey.
-Josh
THANKS 4 UR LONG ANSWER!! and chavez thanks u, too.
They claim 18Hp for stock lt1 for KandN, 16HP for MOROSO, Which used by callaway cars..?

Hmm.. But I am not sure how can I do.. Here american cars like exotics.. So When I go somewhere to work-repair my car they will behave pricey
An ebay has buyer protection, here I donot think so..
there are lots of Brand CAI kits at ws6store.. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...d0627bca280de6 They cost to me like 200-250$! And 30$for airfoil SLP.. Ebays K&N kit cost 110$.. But u are sayin do not buy it like u said do not buy Ebay intake!
I am really CONFUSED WHAT TO DO..

Last edited by ZSU; 01-16-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

don't be confused, it's really simple... avoid the cheap ebay intakes, they are not worth what u pay for them, the aftermarket k&n, moroso, ligenfelter, etc. will give u much better gains and look much nicer under the hood... the airfoil is good if u can pick it up really cheap, like under $30 bucks, it'll only give ya 1-2hp peak gain but also i read from a dyno that it'll also give u an average gain of 5hp across the rpm range, not really noticeable from the butt meter but it all adds up
Old 01-16-2008, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

You can install any of the CAI kits by yourself if you're reasonably handy at all, probablly one of the easiest installs. A screw driver and a half hour or so and you should be just fine to do it.

If you want to make your own, all you need is an air filter, a peice of bent tubing, and some rubber tubing, which I found at a local Truck stop. However, I dont know if you can find what you need there, especially the Tubing needed.

If I were you, I would either buy the more expensive kit from any sponsor here on the site, or browse the for sale section of the site for a seller. I would skip the airfoil for now, and spend a bit more for the good CAI kit.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get the eBay as said, I have one (came with the car) and it's nothing you'd want.

Air Foil, if you get it for $15 or less (free better) it'd be worth it, but that's about it.

Callaway didn't mod any LT1 cars to my knowledge, so they didn't use one. Lingenfelter has an LT1 CAI. They modded LT1, 4 and 5s. (Don't ask about LT5 lol long story, just Wikipedia it)

EDIT: Well I just read a different thread, and BOLO (respectable guy) said that the "Callaway Honker" was bought out by Moroso. Never knew that heh.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:40 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula350
Don't get the eBay as said, I have one (came with the car) and it's nothing you'd want.

Air Foil, if you get it for $15 or less (free better) it'd be worth it, but that's about it.

Callaway didn't mod any LT1 cars to my knowledge, so they didn't use one. Lingenfelter has an LT1 CAI. They modded LT1, 4 and 5s. (Don't ask about LT5 lol long story, just Wikipedia it)

EDIT: Well I just read a different thread, and BOLO (respectable guy) said that the "Callaway Honker" was bought out by Moroso. Never knew that heh.
http://store.callawaycars.com/honker...marofbird.aspx
just check it I know there is callaway Camaroz28! here one of that sold.. It has body and performance mod by Callaway.

So I wont buy Air Foil! Its a bit different to make it, And Iam afraid to leak from custom pipes maybe..
But Buy K&N kit or Moroso or Lingenfelter ( I know that brand recent I donnow is it good) ???
They will cost to me 250$ with shipping..
Hmmm

Last edited by ZSU; 01-16-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:43 PM
ZSU
Launching!

look callaway
Attached Thumbnails SLP TPI Air Foil useful or rubbish? K&N or Moroso Cold Air kit?-c81.jpg  
Old 01-16-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did go with the ebay one and I like it. I see point in paying twice as much to get within a couple hp of the same results. I also painted mine black I cant stand Chrome.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:00 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
I did go with the ebay one and I like it. I see point in paying twice as much to get within a couple hp of the same results. I also painted mine black I cant stand Chrome.
Ebay pipe with K&n kit will cost me 110$, Other brand name Kits will 250$!!
I am really confused.. big difference or not.. 140$ for plastic pipe:p

Last edited by ZSU; 01-16-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:20 PM
ZSU
Launching!

And I checked lingenfelters website, it writes 12 hp.. But K&Ns dyno test say it gives 17-18hp... HMM?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSU
SLP TPI Air Foil useful or rubbish? Give HP?

K&N or Moroso Cold Air kit? Which give more power and sound LT1?

Or just buy Aftermarket cold air kit With K&N performance filter like sell at ebay???

help plzz!!!
If you look at the front of the stock throttle body, in the middle you'll notice an area that will create air turbulence. Air foil(so they call it) will smooth out incomming air, and will also speed up air velocity aswell.
Any aftermarket cold air system are pretty much the same, most will use K&N filter.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:09 AM
ZSU
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOLO
If you look at the front of the stock throttle body, in the middle you'll notice an area that will create air turbulence. Air foil(so they call it) will smooth out incomming air, and will also speed up air velocity aswell.
Any aftermarket cold air system are pretty much the same, most will use K&N filter.
I see.. But is airfoil useful I mean add hp?
I think I will have k&n..
Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) The eBay kit is metal, which gets heat soaked and changes the incoming air temp to be warmer, not good. The plastic doesn't do this, which is why they made them plastic! Stock GM is plastic too, think about it... 2) The eBay kit is just a pipe with a bend in it and some random cheap conical air filter on it, it doesn't reach down into the fender well/bumper area like the name-brand plastics do, to draw in cooler air. 3) The eBay kit doesn't fit around the ABS unit like the name-brands and rubs on it and the hood.

I don't know where you live, but apparently you have to pay out the *** for shipping, since you're quoting such high prices. The eBay kit is only like $40 or so, and the name brand plastics are $100-$150 (seen even less than $100 if you're lucky you can get them for $50 or so)

Quick Reply: SLP TPI Air Foil useful or rubbish? K&N or Moroso Cold Air kit?