LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 mid headers w/o Emission

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 mid headers w/o Emission

Do any of u guys know where i can buy some mid tube headers without the emission stuff all on them....i can find any ones that are around the same price as the pacesetters with the emission.... can somebody help lol
Old 01-23-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

they are out there. is there any particular reason you don't want long tubes? ground clearance?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
they are out there. is there any particular reason you don't want long tubes? ground clearance?
yea ground clerance is one of my best concerns for long tubes
Old 01-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Banned

Mid tubes are a good choice if you don't have large plans for the future.
I know plenty of guys with just bolt ons and a cam and/or stall who are done modding and have mid's and they are very happy with them.

If you plan on doing headwork or anything like that in the future, LT's are what you want. They work good on bolt on cars but really shine when your motor needs to breathe
Old 01-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Launching!

I have a ? about mid tubes...Do you have to run a cat with them because I was going to do pacesetter mids with a magnaflow or hooker cat back and I didnt know if it made a difference.Sry for the ? on your thread.Thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lilblackZ28
I have a ? about mid tubes...Do you have to run a cat with them because I was going to do pacesetter mids with a magnaflow or hooker cat back and I didnt know if it made a difference.Sry for the ? on your thread.Thanks
I've talked with a few people that say to avoid pacesetter mid tubes due to the fact the flanges on them are very thin. As a result of hearing this concern from a few poeple I've started to look at BBK and eldelbrock TES shorties (MA emissions is not fun).

Take it easy
Brewski
Old 01-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Launching!

OK...BBK shorties would they bolt up right to my stock y pipe...How long would the chrome last??
Old 01-23-2008, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BBK, Edelbrock,Hookers are some brands that makes shorties/midlength headers. They should all come w/mathing ypipes.
Chrome, I think is just for show. It would be better to have it coated w/ceramic for longevity/durability.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Hooker shorties, with emissions fittings for 94. Leave the emissions or weld 'em up, you can have them for the price of new pacesetter LTs with Y-pipe.

Ground clearance is fine, plug access is a little tight, bolt to a stock Y-pipe (IF for the same year/single vs dual cat y-pipe setup) and bolt to the factory location catbacks, just like any other y-pipe setup. If you use the shorty headers and the same year y-pipe, you can swap forward/back, with the obvious result of no cat or wrong cat is a technical (visual) emissions failure, and no cat is gonna fail the tailpipe sniff or the treadmill, regardless of what cam you have. Mine have a hollow cat, but next time around I'd put a pipe inside the hollow shell (to look like a cat, but flow and sound better)

If you want 'em, pm me or email. I'm going LTs when I put the new motor in.

Last edited by Boodyrider; 01-23-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

yea ground clerance is one of my best concerns for long tubes
If your car isnt lowered extremely then you wont have any worries about ground clearance with LT's. IMO lts are the best value by far.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CRAZZ28
If your car isnt lowered extremely then you wont have any worries about ground clearance with LT's. IMO lts are the best value by far.
will u be able to see the pipes from the sides of the car, or r thier hidein pretty well????
Old 01-23-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

will u be able to see the pipes from the sides of the car, or r thier hidein pretty well????
You can only see them if you bend down and look under the car. They really dont have any problems at all with ground clearance. I have no idea why everyone thinks they hurt ground clearance so much. I have NEVER bottomed out on my longtubes. I scraped the Y-pipe(it hangs lower than the headers) once but that was a huge bump in a cuntry road and i was doing close to 130 racing a skittle.

Heres a link on a low pic from the side.
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...ockfest027.jpg

Last edited by CRAZZ28; 01-23-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added link
Old 01-23-2008, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lilblackZ28
I had the JBA mid headers with no cats. The car ran real good. I think my car sounded better with out the cats
This is a pic of them on my car

Good luck with your car