LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad Pilot Bearing?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003 | 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Bad Pilot Bearing?????

I have a bad bad vibration in my car. So i thought maybe my new flywhell or clutch were not installed correctly or balanced right. So first thing i did was removed the tranny and started it up and the vibration went away. Has any one experianced this. The vibration would be there if i was driving or if i was sitting their with the clutch in. Or is it the tranny??? I put my centerforec dual friction clutch into 1000 pieces on a hard launch last summer . And a small part of me worrries i hurt the tranny.
Thanks for the input. Also how much does a new bearing cost??

Micah
Old 07-09-2003 | 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Bad Pilot Bearing?????

a pilot bearing/bushing is like 5 bux if i remember correctly. if the bushing is worn out, you will feel a little more vibration in the drivetrain but not like you are talking about. when you removed the tranny and started it up, did you also remove the clutch, or did you leave that on there as well?
Old 07-09-2003 | 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

THATS NOT COOL. how about if the bearing was destroyed would it cause that. Ill pull the old one to day to find out.
Old 07-10-2003 | 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

i doubt it is destroyed. i had 80k miles of HARD driving on mine and it was worn out but no where near destroyed. even still, it was a slight vibration you will feel not a vibration large enough to shake anything like the trannsmission.
Old 07-10-2003 | 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I CHECKED IT YESTERDAY AND IT WAS FINE. So it must be the fly wheel or clutch. 2 questions
1. WHEN YOU BUY NEW DO THEY NEED TO BE BALANCED
2. DOES IT MATER HOW THE PRESHURE PLATE MOUNTS TO THE FLY WHEEL. (IS THEIR A MARK TO INDIACATE A SPEICAL ORINTATION.
THE CLUTHC IS A SPEC STAGE 3 AND THE FLY WHEEL IS A FIDANZA
THANKS FOR THE HELP
MICAH
Old 07-10-2003 | 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

no, no balancing needed that i know of. all you need is a clutch allignment tool and your set. just make sure the flywheel bolts are torqued to spec and that the pressure plate bolts were torqued in the correct pattern and to the correct specs. thats all thats really needed. other than that, i would guess that its your tranny. put your clutch on and start the car up and see if the vibration is still there. if the vibration is there with the clutch on, then you know its the clutch, if its still not there until the tranny is actually on, then you pretty much know where the problem lies. you also said that the vibration was still there when the clutch is pushed in...do you mean when you are coasting or when you are at a dead stop? if its only when you are coasting, then you might have tweaked your driveshaft a little with that crazy launch and thats whats causing the vibration.
Old 07-11-2003 | 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

every thing was tourqed down in the right sequance and spec. The vibration occurs all the time and it is not a little on. With the clutch in or out it vibrates.. and its no small vibration ill makes my cd player skip its so bad. My legs and arms go numb after a short drive cause the vibration is so bad. I have a new Carbon Fiber drive shaft and thats fine.
One last question that i have is this,
Can i be sure the vibration is gone with the tranny removed. Cause the motor is just sitting on the motor mounts now, so how much of the vibration will be felt. But with the trany on it bolts it to the chassis of the car, thus more of the vibration can be felt. Am i right or wrong about this.....thanks for your help gangly

Trending Topics

Old 07-11-2003 | 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

your right, you will get slightly more vibration, but only slightly more. not neat enough to shake you bad enough to make your cd player skip. i would have the tranny looked into if you sure its not the clutch. McAfee transmission is a good place for the T56 and its located in houston if you are located here as well.
Old 07-14-2003 | 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tore it all down vibratons is now gone after putting it all back to gether. I guess somthing just did not line up correctly the first time. I also found that my torque are is rubbing against the body and causing some of the vivration. Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Bad Pilot Bearing?????