LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Passed NJ Emissions!! LE2/LE1 Emissions cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passed NJ Emissions!! LE2/LE1 Emissions cam

... Not bad for a full weight convertible (3800lbs with me) that turns 115+ MPH in the 1/4 through the muffler (w/cats).

It failed slightly the first time. Installing an MSD Digital 6 brought the HC and CO% within acceptable limits.

Thanks Lloyd!!! We met the final goal!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

yea, not much overlap on that cam (can probably tell from the pretty smooth idle) so it "should' pass as easy as a CC 305, CC 503, etc.

Glad it passed the sniff test and glad you are happy with the performance.

Lloyd
Old 01-29-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95ZRagtop6M
... Not bad for a full weight convertible (3800lbs with me) that turns 115+ MPH in the 1/4 through the muffler (w/cats).

It failed slightly the first time. Installing an MSD Digital 6 brought the HC and CO% within acceptable limits.

95 Z28 Conv 6M, 4.10s, 355 LT1, LE2 Heads, LE1 Emissions Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, 58mm TB, Jet Hot LTs, Mufflex 3.5", Cats, Meziere E-Waterpump.
I too have a 95 Z convertible and in the near future will be doing a rebuild (except I'm seriously considering the 383 route) almost verbatim as your mods. Can you talk a little more about your build-up, beyond what we see in your sig?

Lower-end? Cats? Headers? (i.e. are they Jet Hots or some other brand Jet Hot coated) CAI? Optispark?

I am in the same situation here in Texas - meeting vehicle emissions. I'm a bit leery of spending the money on long tubes, only to find out it wont meet emissions (since the LT's push the cats further away from the engine).

Thanks for any other details you can provide. Any photos of the car to share?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by caldercay
I too have a 95 Z convertible and in the near future will be doing a rebuild (except I'm seriously considering the 383 route) almost verbatim as your mods. Can you talk a little more about your build-up, beyond what we see in your sig?

Lower-end? Cats? Headers? (i.e. are they Jet Hots or some other brand Jet Hot coated) CAI? Optispark?
Sure, I do have JetHot headers with the emission fittings... which are peeling BTW only after a year (3500 miles) and only being in the rain twice. I have all of the emissions crap hooked up, air pump, EGR, etc. It looks pretty stock from the engine bay.

I am running dual 3" cats welded into a Mufflex Y-Pipe. The passenger side cat is in about the same location as stock. The driver side is a little further away.

The lower end has stock crank and rods. The block was squared, decked, align honed, etc. with the rotating assembly balanced. Pistons are forged SRP flat tops. With a .026" head gasket, the compression is around 12.2:1.

I'm using the factory GM Opti and now a MSD D-6. OTVC Taylor wires. Also, I've installed a LPE CAI. The dyno numbers in my sig are with the factory airbox and K&N drop in filter.

If you're car is an auto, then I think the 383 is the way to go because of the additional torque. My torque curve is very flat from 2000 to 5700 before it begins to fall off. HP peaks around 6150.

I'm very happy with the performance of my car. It was built as a daily driver, although I don't drive it much. It's just a blast to drive because it makes power everywhere and revs like crazy. I need a rear now though. I'm afraid to put sticky tires on it!! I'll prob go with a 9" since that's what my brother builds. I'll get some pics soon. There's not much to see though.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

If you're car is an auto, then I think the 383 is the way to go because of the additional torque. My torque curve is very flat from 2000 to 5700 before it begins to fall off. HP peaks around 6150.

I'm very happy with the performance of my car. It was built as a daily driver, although I don't drive it much. It's just a blast to drive because it makes power everywhere and revs like crazy. I need a rear now though. I'm afraid to put sticky tires on it!! I'll prob go with a 9" since that's what my brother builds. I'll get some pics soon. There's not much to see though.
Thanks much for the response - I do appreciate it. Yes, I do have the 4L60E auto ... AAMOF, I am awaiting an FLT 4L60E and a Yank SS3200 converter. Mine will also be a daily.

I'm really interested in the header setup, underneath, if you have photos of that. Thanks again for the feedback - much appreciated!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car passed the Ontario sniffer test with LE2 heads and an emission cam too. If those dyno numbers were with the stock airbox you should see some nice gains with the CAI.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

Nice! Looks like they're both putting down about the same power.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:18 AM
12 Second Club

I'm using the factory GM Opti and now a MSD D-6. OTVC Taylor wires. Also, I've installed a LPE CAI. The dyno numbers in my sig are with the factory airbox and K&N drop in filter.
Wow! I bet that cost you at least 5 rwhp! Even more impressed with your numbers

Quick Reply: Passed NJ Emissions!! LE2/LE1 Emissions cam