LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can somone explain this opti spark to me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can somone explain this opti spark to me?

Ok ive been trying to read up on this but i dont know what all the hype is about it and about how bad it is. i have a 95 and it is vented supposably. what is the benifit in having a vented one compared to the other years. also can somone explain opti spark to me, how it works? i came from a 04 mustang that had coil on spark system. what is the downfalls/perks of this sysem? what do people hate it so much? what can be done to improve it?

thanks, im a Lt1 newb.....
Old 02-20-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

opti spark is an optical distributor. It is mounted underneath the waterpump. They usually fail because of moisture getting in or because they can not handle the voltage going through it (high rpm motors). You can get vented to help the moisture escape. You can also convert it to a Ls1 style coil pack ignition system. Probably around 1000 to do that. Thats the basics from what I know hopefully someone can elaborate.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

In LAYMAN's terms-

The opti is known for its small cunthair sized slices in the reluctor ring getting jammed up with slag from the arcing of the spark to 8 cylinders. The vented design was created to minimize the gasses and such. Other than that the main problem with the OPTI is the location as oil and coolant leaks account for 75% of the OPTI failures I see.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:42 AM
Staging Lane

stock opti SUCKS, throw it in the trash, the msd replacement is a great upgrade for an lt1 car, i highly recomend it especially for a modded lt1
Old 02-21-2008, 02:16 AM
TECH Resident

basically the opti gets a bad rep for several reasons
1) the water pump fails and pour coolant on it from the weep-hole
2) it usually falls under the out-of-sight out-of-mind mentality people somehow believe that it should last forever and get pissed even though the stock cap and rotor has over 100,000 miles on it
3) improper installation
4) pressure washing engine (dont do it!)

these are just few of the many reasons that it gets a bad rep

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ing/index.html

heres some good reading on the technical side for how it works
Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Another very popular reason is due to the rotor screws backing out causing any cylinder to pretty much fire at will. It's very easy and cheap to fix, but most mistake this for a defective opti and throw it out.
I've had excellent luck w/ mine. I've had two since the car was new, still have the original and it still works. Only problem w/ the original is what was stated above.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KING OF THE STREET
stock opti SUCKS, throw it in the trash, the msd replacement is a great upgrade for an lt1 car, i highly recomend it especially for a modded lt1
I've heard mixed reviews on that. I've heard some people say that the MSD is worse than stock and another couple people say they actually picked up around 10hp by switching to the MSD. I don't see how that'd really happen though.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:59 AM
On The Tree

The only real difference from the non-vented(93-early94) to the vented (late94-97) is a vac. line going in and a vac line going out to help with getting heat and gases out and they have a different plug style. Is your opti going bad,how many miles are on the engine? Vented opti's can last awhile but they do go bad and I would recommend a ACdelco replacement if you need one. The opti is also your cam sensor and if you do decide to go with a Delteq type ignition(coil per cylinder) then you will still need a working opti to tell the pcm what order to fire the injectors. They are not as bad as people make them out to be.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^^I agree!
I had 188k on a stock opti non vented, it still works, but for piece of mind I am putting on a new one (new rebuilt engine as well).
The external water factor is not as high a problem as what is rumored.If water gets in externally it is because the gasket failed and it was nto properly maintained. Alot of that can be attributed to location and ease of maintenance.
Where the vented one helps is in the prevention of condensated water, vapors, and heat from within the unit. The process in which makes it fail specifically is called mineral tracking. That is when High voltage electricity is introduced to moisture, the arc and heat then subsequently flash the moisture and leave the trace minerals permanently stuck to the surface. As the minerals build up, usually on the optical wheel, which needs to be clear and relatively clean in order to work, the opti cuts out and misses or stops working completely.
The MSD allows for higher RPM and safe operation over 7k. But it does have some significant design flaws and in my opinion is nothing but a fancy paperweight. The AC DELCO unit is a quality piece and will last and work properly, just be sure to maintain it as you would any of your engines other vital components.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Even if water leaks from the pump, theoretically the seal should be more than capable of keeping water out..
Old 02-21-2008, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Another very popular reason is due to the rotor screws backing out causing any cylinder to pretty much fire at will. It's very easy and cheap to fix, but most mistake this for a defective opti and throw it out.
I've had excellent luck w/ mine. I've had two since the car was new, still have the original and it still works. Only problem w/ the original is what was stated above.
Really it is the small washer that breaks, that falls into the optical path. The bolt naturally would back out by then however its not as normal as the washer breaking and causing the problem.

Here is a hint for you SS RRR, since you are a little slow and you will prolly try telling me I am wrong and making up stories.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate007
Really it is the small washer that breaks, that falls into the optical path. The bolt naturally would back out by then however its not as normal as the washer breaking and causing the problem.

Here is a hint for you SS RRR, since you are a little slow and you will prolly try telling me I am wrong and making up stories.

I'm not sure if you're wrong or not. My washers did not break. The bolts simply backed out. I don't recall very many others reporting washer breakage w/in the last several years either. Good show you point that out. Keep your rage to one thread, mkay?
Old 02-21-2008, 08:01 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KING OF THE STREET
I considered the MSD. Based on what I've heard since, and considering the price, I'm glad I went with an AC/Delco replacement.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have personally put 185K miles on my opti equipped vehicles, both of which I bought used.

I have had good results with optis but I am sure you would rather listen to some dumbass kid who just bought the car 5K miles ago. They would know more.

King of the Street doesn't have a clue, you would do well to ignore any input he has.

You will find a lot of ignorant kids bashing the opti and a lot of reasonable knowledgable adults who understand what it is and what it's benifits and weaknesses are.

If the wrench behind it is competent the opti works great.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

my stocker went 198k miles before it took a dump..my GM replacement has 2k miles on it now and it runs like a champ...just a bunch of hype for no reason..
Old 02-22-2008, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

Basically its a part on your car that might break just like everything else under the hood ,the differences are that some guys will spend in the ballpark of $1000 to replace a $300 part.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is the distributor. Its location is not the very best, especially due to moisture. But if kept pristine, it does work as designed. Options, such as different brands, or coil packs, do exist. But they have their own issues.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't get what you guys mean when you say to "maintain" the opti and "keep it pristine," I mean what are you supposed to do? Besides not spray it down with the pressure washer...
Old 02-26-2008, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure the vent harness is working and replace the cap and rotor before outright failure. I believe the majority of optis replaced were not actually dead but rather just wet or in need of a cap and rotor. ALL distributor caps and rotors are wear items just given expense and relative hassle to get too they are neglected on this engine.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What do you mean make sure the vent harness is working, how are you supposed to make sure of that...

Quick Reply: Can somone explain this opti spark to me?