LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1le elbow vs. aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fergymoto
You mean to tell me you cannot see it dripping off?
Dripping off? Even Dropping off doesn't make sense... After running my car hard I can put my hand on the elbow and it's just warm, no where near the temp of say the intake.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an alum. one also and it doesn't get heatsoaked. and it seems to be the same size as my old stock one.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:48 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I like the stock look of the 1LE. I was surprised to learn how much larger it is than some of the metal elbows.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

so do you guys think i will be happy with my 1le compared to the other one with the resonator? and how much of a performance gain is there? and is it really that much louder than the one with the resonator?
Old 03-08-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BTC
I like the stock look of the 1LE. I was surprised to learn how much larger it is than some of the metal elbows.
I wasn't aware it was larger. Thought all it was, was the stock elbow with the donkey-dong hole plugged.

I like my Vortec elbow. Where it meets the throttle body (and a ways up the elbow) it has a divider which can help cut down on turbulence going into the TB. Then again, itself being there (even though it's very thin) still will make a bit of turbulence, but I think it helps more than doesn't.

Originally Posted by 97badass
so do you guys think i will be happy with my 1le compared to the other one with the resonator? and how much of a performance gain is there? and is it really that much louder than the one with the resonator?
I doubt you'll notice any gain, and I don't remember any noise change when I removed the 'resonator' (donkey-dong, more of a silencer than resonator). Nor when I went from the stock to aluminum, but the benefit is there isn't any of the ripples in the elbow area in the aftermarket.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:25 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Originally Posted by Formula350
I wasn't aware it was larger. Thought all it was, was the stock elbow with the donkey-dong hole plugged.
The 1LE, and I guess the stock elbow as well, seem to be quite a bit larger than at least one of metal elbows on the market. There is a thread on camaroz28.com that had a photographic comparison, and I think it was actually linked to earlier in this thread. Whatever elbow it was, I think it may have been a Trickflow, looked like it would virtually fit inside of the 1LE. It had a much smaller diamater tubing. I don't know if this is the case for all of the metal elbows.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

My Vortec seems really nice, and I recommend it. I bought it for my TPI car, unbeknownst to the fact it just wouldn't fit. Good thing I help onto it! My only problem was the IAT sensor. The elbow is threaded, and my IAT wasn't. Some simple sanding on the IAT plastic and removal of 2 ridges made it thread in so to speak (more like push in) and I haven't had one issue. The diode (or whatever the IAT has) sticks just as far in as a stock elbow.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28
I have a 1LE and it is fine. In fact the aluminum one would get heat soak. But they would both make about the same power get the one that cost less.

Mine is the high-temp ceramic coated polished aluminum Trick Flow Elbow and stays much cooler then a rubber elbow ever could.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1LE vs trickflow...

Old 03-08-2008, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the difference between the stock rubber or 1le elbows and the Trickflow is the inside being smoother and less turbulence(Trickflow), other than that, it's cosmetic. It just look alot better than the black rubber.IMO.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97badass
and totally off subject... but how do you like your t/a girdle cover?
the flowmaster thing was in response to the guy that said why do people buy the aluminum one's when they're smaller and cost more. But to answer your question I like it so far, only had it a month or so, but I like it though, especially now that I can easily change the rear end fluid, and it gives me a little piece of mind knowing that it'll be harder for me to hurt the rear with street tires.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't even buy a 1LE elbow. I just removed the silencer on mine. Took an Old Spice deodorant cap, wrapped some 3M dual-sided adhesive tape around it, and shoved it in there. It's snug, and it's not going anywhere. It's the same thing as the 1LE.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tspence45
Don't even buy a 1LE elbow. I just removed the silencer on mine. Took an Old Spice deodorant cap, wrapped some 3M dual-sided adhesive tape around it, and shoved it in there. It's snug, and it's not going anywhere. It's the same thing as the 1LE.
im not into the whole redneck thing...sorry bud...it was 35 bucks i took it
Old 03-08-2008, 08:34 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOLO
I think the difference between the stock rubber or 1le elbows and the Trickflow is the inside being smoother and less turbulence(Trickflow), other than that, it's cosmetic. It just look alot better than the black rubber.IMO.

I didn't realize the metal elbows were smoother on the inside than the stock rubber elbows.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Banned

^ Well, air flows easier against aluminum then rubber.

-The inlet sizes are the same.

_
Old 03-08-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think there is any performance deference between the two. Just get the one you like the best or the cheapest.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:54 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by burnzilla
^ Well, air flows easier against aluminum then rubber.

-The inlet sizes are the same.

_
Are you absolutely sure? The rubber may actually flow better due to certain laws of fluid dynamics. I'm also not convinced that the inlet sizes are the same. That certainly doesn't appear to be the case based on the photographs. Imo, it appears to be quite a bit smaller. I think there are some additional pics in the camaroz28.com thread. You should check them out. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it just seems like you're grasping at straws.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BTC
Are you absolutely sure? The rubber may actually flow better due to certain laws of fluid dynamics. I'm also not convinced that the inlet sizes are the same. That certainly doesn't appear to be the case based on the photographs. Imo, it appears to be quite a bit smaller. I think there are some additional pics in the camaroz28.com thread. You should check them out. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it just seems like you're grasping at straws.
In that photo you see the ridge, that ridge is what meets up with the front of the TB. That "bigger" area we see w/o the inverted pic is what goes OVER the TB and what the clamp sits around. So all in all, he's right.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:47 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

I do see the ridge and I'm still convinced that the 1LE and stock elbows are larger internally than the Trickflow. That's what my eyes are telling me. It would take some actual measurements to convince me that I'm not actually seeing what I'm seeing. There is another pic in the camaroz28.com thread showing the trickflow mating up to a throttle body. And while there isn't a similar pic with the 1LE, the owner of both elbows stated the trickflow was smaller. I don't know the guy, but I doubt he would just lie for the sake of lying.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BTC
I It would take some actual measurements to convince me that I'm not actually seeing what I'm seeing.
Just use common sense.

The inlet portion on the car DOES NOT CHANGE.
Therefore, the car only accepts so much.

So if the intake's ridge was actually 'bigger' it would not fit right, or it would be loose.

Those pictures are 100% useless and prove nothing.

Quick Reply: 1le elbow vs. aluminum