LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question for you LT1 guys.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It better be better than the new dart ones.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
I would like to see a comepletly new head . If you could make them where you could bolt an ls1 style intake that would be nice and then we wouldnt have wait for other companies to make an intake for the lt1. a fast 90 on an lt1 would be nice.And I bet you would sell the **** out of these heads. Btw GOOD CNC work is a must.
if that is possible that would be awesome!! LS1 intakes can be had pretty cheap.

If you want to sell these heads they need to be more cost effective than ported stockers. Right now i wouldnt even consider Trick Flow heads because they require milling ON TOP of the price i would have to pay to get them in the first place. If im going to pay someone for headwork... i might as well just have them port my stockers!

You will have a winner if you can achieve the following three things:

-Ready to go out of the box (54cc chamber)
-Affordable
-substantially out flow stock heads

There is not a head that does this on the market right now to my knowledge. Your head is only cost efficient for people with boost or strokers. It is not cost efficient at all for naturally aspirated stock displacement builds. I would also like to see a completely new head.

Heck, if you wanted to do something easy you could just clone iron LT1 heads and sell them in aluminum form - but that wouldnt be good enough for most people here.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see how you could get a symmetrical port (LS1 style) intake to bolt on a Gen2 style head, most all symmetrical port setups are the same on the exhaust side. Same as a 5.0 mustang and LS1.

A Gen1-2 head has saimesed(sp?) runners.

Hell if we could get a real head ready to bolt on that was a REAL performer you guys would make a killing, out of the box and on the car. You already make a "as cast" LS1 head that works very well.....copy that idea into this head.

David
Old 03-12-2008, 10:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
In the initial post you stated a NEW head design, NOT improving the old head.

In case you have not noticed, on this board AND Camaroz28.com the LT1 world is blowing up right now, we are starting it up OURSELVES because no one has come to our aid.

Our OWN LT1 shootout has been scheduled in Kansas, MANY VERY nice cars have been finished here as of late...these cars WILL show the LT1's potential at that race. And when this happens the market will blow up. Guys are running mid 11's on STOCK PARTS, give us some good **** and watch what happens.

People love these cars...get on the bandwagon, be the innovators here.

David

I was showing what the heads currently offer. If you read some of the past posts you will see other guys asking for a 2.02 intake valve and a spring that would handle .600" lift. I was stating the facts that the heads already have the springs and the 2.02 valves.

I was simply stating facts on the current head offered. The reson for this post was to get input from you guys on what you would like to see in a LT1 head.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say quite worrying about the people wanting LS1 stuff retro-fitted but look at SBC stuff and retro fit that. The technology is out there, is just wont bolt up easily and costs an arm and a leg. LS1 stuff is good stuff but its also stereotyped to having everything the best. Like the cathedral ports...there is a reason the L92 stuff is kicking its *** with the rectangular ports so just ignore that suggestion. The main issue with the LT1 is the reverse flow cooling, if you guys could look at great and popular designs for the regular SBC and retro-fit that, then i think you would have a great product on your hands.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Launching!

dont get into the whole ls1 retrofit crap. it will take way too much money and too many custom parts to even make it work. you would be better off dropping an ls1 in.

a few chamber sizes to choose from. we really need a small chambered head thats close to stock so we dont have to get pistons made to keep our compression up. the first step that 99.9% of use do is a heads and cam setup. that right there leaves every aftermarket head out. you give us that option and you will have them flying off the shelves.

bigger intake runners or options of 2 different sizes.

a different valve angle, even just a few degrees, and still alow everything to bolt up.

make them ready to rip right out of the box but still have room to port.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would want my reverse flow cooling to stay, and the compression up in my motor to maybe 11:1.....you could probably have two different heads, one for forced induction, one for n/a and could have different combustion chambers for each. I really want to keep my lt1, but if worst comes to worst, I will go buy a 6.0 iron block and mod the crap out of it for cheap and make a lot of power.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Launching!

I agree with the above. Take a bad *** set of standard sbc heads, reverse cool them and give them an lt1/lt4 intake bolt pattern. I know alot of guys who have paid well over $500 to have a set of heads converted to reverse cooling. Im shopping for new heads and that looks like what Ill have to do to get the numbers I want.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

For you guys looking for the bigger intake runners. Check out some of dealers that do have programs for our LT1 heads.

Total Engine Airflow (330-634-2155)
Offers either a 200cc or a 218cc LT1 head based off our casting.
http://totalengineairflow.com/products/gmhead/gmlt1/

Advanced Induction (704-907-4341)
Offers either a 200cc or a 215cc head based off of our casting.
http://www.advancedinduction.com/AiProductsLTx.html
Old 03-13-2008, 03:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can make it easy.

For me to sell your products I NEED a 54-56cc chamber. If Smaller to allow porting and chamber molding would be even better. To small a chamber is easy to deal with but when you start with one that is already to big you are screwed. Once you cover this any of your other CNC programs should work great!

Now if you came out with a set of 15-18* heads i would be all over it also as i have a Hogans intake sitting here ready to go!
Old 03-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TrickFlowTech
For you guys looking for the bigger intake runners. Check out some of dealers that do have programs for our LT1 heads.

Both of those packages still lower our compression ratio. We want it to stay the same or go up.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe a smaller chamber size will be neccessary to gain popularity.

Many guys run NA, and the huge chambers on the TF's as they stand now are too much of a hit on the compression ratio. That is a huge reason why most just try to get their stockers ported instead.
Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I can make it easy.

For me to sell your products I NEED a 54-56cc chamber. If Smaller to allow porting and chamber molding would be even better. To small a chamber is easy to deal with but when you start with one that is already to big you are screwed. Once you cover this any of your other CNC programs should work great!

Now if you came out with a set of 15-18* heads i would be all over it also as i have a Hogans intake sitting here ready to go!
Indeed .
Old 03-14-2008, 03:37 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Houdini
You will need to separate your heads from all others available, put these things in a class all by themselves. If you do this, I doubt you will be able to keep them in stock!

What I would like to see...
  • Various chamber sizes
  • Large runner length, say one head at 210 and another around 230-240'ish
  • Thick deck
  • Pre-drilled for SBC intake bolt pattern, along with LT1/4 pattern
  • 18 degree valve angle (or better), without having to use different headers and rockers
  • Big flow numbers 300+
Pretty much most of what Beaflag VonRathburg said.

Not alot of people want to switch over to a converted 18 degree SBC head due to all the additional cost. I have $1500+ wrapped up in my headers and Y-pipe, it wouldn't be worthwhile to run your heads if have to ditch all that money.

For the love of all that's holy... CAN SOMBODY MAKE A BETTER INAKE!!
I agree! Well said.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I gbotta tell you guys that are wanting a 18* head and stocking rockers. You are shooting your self in the foot!

This is a set of stock castings. Notice any thing un-usual?

You guys think I run two different kinds of rockers for looks? Half of them are offset .150 to clear the bigger ports we welded into the stock heads!

STOCK Modified Castings and 210CC runners with 54cc chambers.

Trickflow give us some thing like this for an entry level and you are golden!
Old 03-15-2008, 04:48 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Do you have any pictures of the work you did to the heads. I've always liked the chopped stock intake manifold. What sort of calculations went into devising something like that?
Old 03-15-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This may sound stupid but maybe they should make a poll based on some of the ideas mentioned and go from there. Or they could build another head based on what they think people want like some of the other companys have done. Also like some of the people have mentioed unless the heads are affordable it would be a waste of time anyways!
Old 03-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Launching!

1st off anyone in this post asking for LS1 compatability needs to click the back button and go back to bragging about their anodized lug nuts.

Good things have been listed:
We need 18* availability
52-62cc heads, offer them in "as cast bare" and in various stages to fully cnc'd etc. I know you say springs good to .600 lift, 600 on an old school roller is different from a new style grind 600 and from a solid 600.
availability of LARGE valves in the large chambered heads. 2.05/2.08 or so.
Offer it in perimeter valve cover and center bolt patterns.

i know i'm about to be at the potential for the heads I have so I'm ready to ditch them and upgrade and I want to go big.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

So... any update?

Vapor-ware maybe?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TrickFlowTech

why on earth would i want to spend $2500 on a set of heads. why can't you make something comparable to these heads, they are your heads. you can get nearly the same results based off a stock head too incase you missed that.. why the hell would i spend that money on just heads when i can send some lt1 heads in and get a matching cam that will make the same power for the less money.. that doesn't even make sense.

Quick Reply: Question for you LT1 guys.