LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

random misfire because of front o2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default random misfire because of front o2 sensors?

Could the front o2 sensors not responding cause an engine to do a random misfire? I had to use the pacesetter o2 extension kit when i installed my headers and maybe I did it wrong or something, but its running horrible and I had the codes check and I got bank 1 and 2 sensor 1 no response, and the random misfire code. Im assuming that sensor 1 on each side is going to be the front ones, right?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Are You Still Having Problems With This? Faulty O2 Sensors Will Cause This. While Working For Gm, I Saw A Lt-1 Camaro Suffer The Same Problem Because
Of A Major Oil Leak Contaminated The O2 Sensor Harnes. IT Was Leaking Oil Everywere. Customer Did Not Have Enough Cash For The Repairs So I Left Them
Disconnected So The Engine Would Stay In Open Loop. Both O2 Sensors Were
Damaged Due To The Oil Getting In The Harness. Mercedes Benz Also Has Problems With Oil Leaks Getting In Their Wiring Harness And Causing Misfires
To Total Transmission Failure. Get A Dvom And Check You Resistence Reading
Across Allthe Wires And Make Sure You Dont Have Any Wires In The Wrong Position.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Let Me Know What You Find
Old 03-31-2008, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

well i found that both my front o2 sensors were disconnected, that POS kit from pacesetter is a joke. SO I ordered new o2 sensors and extension harness. Ill let you know what happens when they come in and i get them on.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Does This Kit Use Crimp Connectors Or Do You Need To Solder Them? Would Not Use Crimp Conectors On O2 Sensor Wires. Did You Scan For Codes Before You Found The O2 Sensors Disconected?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

yea i crimped them, i dont have a solder gun nor I do even know how to. Yes I did, and thats how I found that the o2 sensors were messin up.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Its Posible That You Can Still Use Your Old O2 If The Wires Are Still Long Enough. I Do This Stuff All The Time Working At The Dealer And Its The Best Way To Fix Wires Like These. Just Some Solder,heat Shrink And A Gun From Sears Or Radio Shack. I Will Give You The Info On How I Do It On A Mercedes Benz. Measure All The Wires And Cut Them The Same Size. Strip 15mm From Each Wire End. Slide The Heat Shrink Tube Over The New Wires And Keep It Away From The Area To Be Repaired. Twist Both Wires Together Nice And Tight. The Wires Should Look Just Like This -------------. Pull On Them Lightly To Make Sure They Dont Come Apart Easly. Then Take The Gun And Heat The Section Of The Striped Wire That Is Twisted Together OR MELT SOME SOLDER ON THE OVER THE TIP AND SREAD TIT OVER THE WIRE. It Will Heat Up And Melt In Seconds And You Can Se The Tip Of The Gun To Spread The Solder Around Or Remove Access Solder. Once The Solder Is Hard Slide The Heat Shrink Tube Over The Soldered Section And Heat It Up With A Lighter Or Match To Shrink It Down. Dont Apply
To Much Heat Or It Will Melt The Tube Causing The Wire To Be Exposed Again.it Is Made Out Of Rubber. Then When All The Wires Are Fix You Can Cover The Harness With Insulated Tape So They Wont Get Damage With The Heat Of The Headers. Hope This Helps You.

Last edited by alaureano; 04-01-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

If You Dont Want To Wait For The Ext Kit To Come In Get Some Wire Of The Exact Same Gauge At The Parts Store. If You Dont Know What Size They Are Then Try To Match Them Up. Slightly Bigger Is Better The Being Too Small. UNLESS PACESETTER IS HAS WIRES THAT ARE SPECIALY SHEILDED FROM ELECTRICAL AND RADIO INTERFEARENCE. THE SPEC I GAVE YOU IS IN MILIMETERS JUST IN CASE YOU DIDNT UNDERSTAND= 15MM

Last edited by alaureano; 04-01-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Hey man Bank 1 is driverside and bank 2 is pass side. sensor 2 is the sensor after the cat and sensor 1 is the fronts

Quick Reply: random misfire because of front o2 sensors?