LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

big trouble pushrod/guideplate related

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default big trouble pushrod/guideplate related

hey guys, i just finished building up my 355 and got her running right, well i thought so anyways. I havent driven it hard yet but it seemed like it was down on power a little bit and i thought i heard a loose rocker "1.6 gm performance rockers" so i pulled the valve covers. Well a few were a little loose so i tightened them all back down, but before i put the valve covers back on i closely looked at one of the pushrods and it has grind marks at the top from rubbing on the guideplates.

I have stock lifters, stock 7.20 pushrods and the guy over at comp said these would work fine. I took the intake off to see if there were any metal shavings down in my motor and come to find out there are a bunch of shavings down by the lifters.

WHAT DO I DO?? i know i need some new pushrods,.

How do i get most the metal shavings out of the motor without pulling the whole thing?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kartracer0000
How do i get most the metal shavings out of the motor without pulling the whole thing?
I would drain the oil and change the filter. Remove the intake and use a magnet to get anything that is in the lifter valley. Attach a magnet to the oil pan/filter. And...say your prayers!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

It was my understanding that when you used guide plates you had to use hardened pushrods to prevent that from happening. Maybe an someone with more experiance will chime in on this?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I used hardened pushrods on mine... Also, some guideplates are "adjustable." In other words, the holes where the rocker studs go in are oblong. Maybe you have one slightly off center?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

you have to get hardened pushrods and hardened guideplates or they will wear pretty quickly . if they are already hardened then maybe they were loose? or geometry issue
Old 06-06-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

as mentioned, you need "hardened" PR and guide plates. GM guide plates are not hardened.

I use the ISKY adjustable guide plates which are helpfull in getting the RR tip dead center on the valve and Trick Flow hardened PR.

If you see metal shavings in the lifter valley do the best job you can in removing debris. maybe pull lifters and clean them. Run motor a few times with back to back oil changes. Check magnet on drain plug and cut open filter and see what it collected.

Hopefully all the shavings stayed up in the lifter valley..
Old 06-06-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarojunkie
It was my understanding that when you used guide plates you had to use hardened pushrods to prevent that from happening. Maybe an someone with more experiance will chime in on this?
Very true, however you also can't run guide plates and self-aligning rockers. Any chance of a mix-up there?

I say that because I have the GMPP roller rockers and mine are self aligning, although they could make the non self aligning. I just don't know, off the top of my head....
Old 06-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, thanks for all your help...

The guy over at comp wasnt very helpful when it came to telling me about what i need and what i didnt need. I told him that i had stock pushrods and self aligning rockers and he said that everything would work out fine.

But when i called him today he said that i needed hardened pushrods and nsa rollerrockers. Guess his head was in the wrong place and hopefully it doesnt ruin my brand new damn motor..

KEEP THE IDEAS COMING!!@! thanks alot guys!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We need to know for sure what kind of rockers you actually have.

If self aligning - normal pushrods will work, do not use guideplates

If non self aligning - guideplates and at least a hardened pushrod.

I would recommend using any one piece 5/16 .080 wall pushrod so long as it is the proper length regardless of rockers.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

when I put roller rockers I used the GMPP guide plates and Comp 1 piece hardened pushrods and I have 1.65 NSA rockers, and I have zero rubbing or shavings,

my only advice would be to chunk the aluminum cheapo rockers.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Teching In

I have the self aligning rockers that come with the lt4 hotcam kit, For now i am going to try to get all the metal out that i can and clean the lifters, take off the guideplates untill i can get some nsa rr's.

Btw i got new comp hardened pushrods today
Old 06-07-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

...so you ran SA RR with guide plates??

that IS your problem
Old 06-07-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
...so you ran SA RR with guide plates??

that IS your problem

MAN, you got that right!!

Kartracer, you CAN run the SA roller rockers, just do it without the guide plates!
Old 06-07-2008, 03:07 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kartracer0000
Hey guys, thanks for all your help...

The guy over at comp wasnt very helpful when it came to telling me about what i need and what i didnt need. I told him that i had stock pushrods and self aligning rockers and he said that everything would work out fine.
you forgot to tell him you were gonna run guide plates with SA rr's. Basicly the comp guy didnt screw up. He told you that stock pushrods are fine which is right, when running without guide plates.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Teching In

well my question now is can i run the guideplates with the stock rockers until i can get some nsa rr's to put on the motor?
Old 06-07-2008, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No you cannot. Just get some new pushrods that are the correct length and run them with your GM roller rockers. No guide plates this time. If you do run the stock rockers again for whatever reason, they are self aligning. Do not use guide plates with them.

Quick Reply: big trouble pushrod/guideplate related