LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Walbro fuel pump installation "HELP"

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walbro fuel pump installation "HELP"

I don't know if its me or what, i'm useally fairly good at figuring things out, but i can't seem to get the NEW pump in the bucket properly, the instructions don't even show a bucket , so i'm wondering if i have a pump for a different car, i can't even use the new "sock" because the end of the Walbro pump is larger & doesn't fit on the end of the bucket (like the original), so what gives??? Does anyone have a step by step with pix? I know this style gas tank needs an in bucket pump, not just being naked in the tank, i knew i should have spent good $$$ & got the whole damn thing, bucket & all, man i hate when **** like this happens, hell even the instructions don't tell ya squat
Old 06-07-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Did you get the racetronics kit?

What year car is it? If it's a 97 I don't even think it should have a bucket.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
Did you get the racetronics kit?

What year car is it? If it's a 97 I don't even think it should have a bucket.
No, i didn't get the Racetronix kit, i'm thinking now i should have, it is a 97 Z28 & does come with a bucket, the tank is open style, not baffled. What all does the racetronix kit come with? I'm not really too concerned about the "Hot Wire" set-up, just a friggin aftermarket pump that'll fit my car without all the headaches , forgive me, but i'm just a tad bit PISSED right now lol, i also have a rearend to install, so i was hopeing to have this tank back in by the tomorrow, doesn't look like thats going top happen.

I'm sure its the wrong pump, all the rubber gaskets aren't even right along with other things in the kit.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

I dunno... I've seen a 95 and a 98 and both of them didn't have a bucket. Pretty sure that's a 99+ thing... but if you say you've got a bucket... I'll believe you. If you have a bucket, racetronics is the only pump that'll fit and leave the factory bucket system working properly.

If I were you, I'd give racetronics a call on monday and see what they recommend.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
I dunno... I've seen a 95 and a 98 and both of them didn't have a bucket. Pretty sure that's a 99+ thing... but if you say you've got a bucket... I'll believe you. If you have a bucket, racetronics is the only pump that'll fit and leave the factory bucket system working properly.

If I were you, I'd give racetronics a call on monday and see what they recommend.
Thanks, do they have a web-sight??
Old 06-07-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just went on racetronix, shure enough, i have the wrong pump, the one from racetronix looks just like mine, wireing/sock & all, even has the accordian style plastic hose/connector.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

I didn't use the racetronix kit and my pump went right into my bucket no problem.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by romoranger
I didn't use the racetronix kit and my pump went right into my bucket no problem.
I'm shure i just got the wrong pump, whoever you get them from, most likely there are 2 or more versions, i'll contact my vendor first before i buy from someone else.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by romoranger
+1 mine slid right in.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

97 does have the bucket; I did mine last year. I previously had a Walbro, now have the Racetronix (yeah, it is still a Walbro, just a specific model). I had to remove a small plastic ridge on the bottom of the inside of the bucket, otherwise it slid right in.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
97 does have the bucket; I did mine last year. I previously had a Walbro, now have the Racetronix (yeah, it is still a Walbro, just a specific model). I had to remove a small plastic ridge on the bottom of the inside of the bucket, otherwise it slid right in.
Did you use a foam sleeve for the pump or cut an access window on the side? My supplier sent me some tips on how to install the pump, i just need to do some modifying too the bucket, but it should work, is this what you did? heres a link.

http://www.gonicd.com/intankinstall/...mpinstall.html
Old 06-08-2008, 03:54 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

The fuel pump inlet location is probably not the same as the stock pump. Can't remember which one is offset and which one has a center inlet. As already suggested all you need to do is remove one or two of the ribs inside the bucket that are prohibiting the pump from seating properly inside the bucket.
This may help:

http://www.geocities.com/formulapower2/fuelpump.html
Old 06-08-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LM97Z
Did you use a foam sleeve for the pump or cut an access window on the side? My supplier sent me some tips on how to install the pump, i just need to do some modifying too the bucket, but it should work, is this what you did? heres a link.
http://www.gonicd.com/intankinstall/...mpinstall.html
The link you provided is for a later model pump, which is different. I used the geocities link just above this post, it worked just fine. If you have to mod your bucket you have the wrong pump. Everything is the same as the stock pump; it is literally a drop in once you remove that ridge on the inside of the bucket.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
The link you provided is for a later model pump, which is different. I used the geocities link just above this post, it worked just fine. If you have to mod your bucket you have the wrong pump. Everything is the same as the stock pump; it is literally a drop in once you remove that ridge on the inside of the bucket.
That has some good info too, but the only thing i'm not seeing is the new "sock" screen, i did get one, but it has a larger diameter & mounts on the pump itself, not the bucket like the original, i guess i gan use my old sock screen, its still in very good shape, now that other link shows how he had to modify the bottom of the bucket so you could install the new sceen on the pump.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

That has some good info too, but the only thing i'm not seeing is the new "sock" screen, i did get one, but it has a larger diameter & mounts on the pump itself, not the bucket like the original, i guess i gan use my old sock screen, its still in very good shape, now that other link shows how he had to modify the bottom of the bucket so you could install the new sceen on the pump.
Or get a new one from the dealer. Should be a pretty generic part and perhaps in stock...
Old 06-09-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW when I did my racetronix kit last month. My 97 bucket had no ridges like mentioned in some of the DIY sites. It was smooth inside the bucket, and the pumps just swapped out. New one went in and had a foam ring around it that I guess keeps it from moving around.

So I would aim for getting the 97 bucket , if your buying another, so you dont have to any mods to it.

Last edited by 97LT1; 06-09-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97LT1
FWIW when I did my racetronix kit last month. My 97 bucket had no ridges like mentioned in some of the DIY sites. It was smooth inside the bucket, and the pumps just swapped out. New one went in and had a foam ring around it that I guess keeps it from moving around.

So I would aim for getting the 97 bucket , if your buying another, so you dont have to any mods to it.
I got it installed & sealed up, yeah the bucket had no ridges & slid right in the slot, but i had to use my old screen filter because it mounts on the bucket, but its still in very good shape, so i'll see how it acts later on today when i put it in, i started another thread about having a hole in the straw feed line that mounts on the pump, not getting any answers so far, so i'll ask here too.

I found a small hole in the line from where it was rubbing the bracket, would this cause a fuel pressure issue??
Old 06-09-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got it installed & sealed up, yeah the bucket had no ridges & slid right in the slot, but i had to use my old screen filter because it mounts on the bucket, but its still in very good shape, so i'll see how it acts later on today when i put it in, i started another thread about having a hole in the straw feed line that mounts on the pump, not getting any answers so far, so i'll ask here too.

I found a small hole in the line from where it was rubbing the bracket, would this cause a fuel pressure issue??
is the krinkle hose the feed line back to the front of the car? If it is I would say yes that it would affect things drastically. I know they sent a new one with the new kit. I have an extra one off my original pump if you really need it.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97LT1
is the krinkle hose the feed line back to the front of the car? If it is I would say yes that it would affect things drastically. I know they sent a new one with the new kit. I have an extra one off my original pump if you really need it.

Its the main feed straw hose thats part of the pump assembly, you know the one that comes off the pump then loops & connects to the bottom of the ring with the 2 other rubber hoses that are part of the whole pump assembly, i just replaced it with some EFI rubber hose.

Quick Reply: Walbro fuel pump installation "HELP"