LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ENGINE REBUILD.. help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENGINE REBUILD.. help

ok so i blew a head gasket in my 95 lt1 camaro and im going to rebuild the engine. eagle crank and rods all the good stuff.. i built 351w carbed engines before but this my first time dealing with fuel injection and computers.... so i was seeing if i could put a big cam in it and how would i make the car run good... do i need to get a chip and have the car tunned.. can i buy one from jegs and do it my self or bring it to a shop.. wat should i kno to build an lt1 with about 350-400 hp.. thanks
Old 07-02-2008, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Jegs can't help you with the tuning.

Eagle is not that good, too many dimensional problems. Scat is better. Honestly though a "budget" motor is usually a step BACKWARDS from stock. The stock crank is better than the $200 cast aftermarket stuff.

Displacement does NOT add power, airflow does, so don't think you can "build" a motor and drop untouched stock heads on it and gain anything. Stock heads are a GREAT starting point in good hands.

400 at the wheels is easily doable on a stock shortblock IF you do things right. And it can be fairly reliable if you use good parts to do it rather than the more popular mediocre parts and aggressive cam that breaks stuff.

Tunercat will let you tune the car yourself if you are so inclined, cost about $90, then you need a datacable at about $60 nd Datamaster is great logging software so you can see what the engine and tranny(is automatic) are doing.

If you are willing to learn you will love playing with an injected vehicle, guys accustomed to carbed stuff can not beleve the combination of power, drivability, reliability and economy we get.

We use much higher compression ratios than older carbed stuff too, 12:1 is pretty common on pump gas depending on the cam.

Also be aware most cam company rpm recommendations are WAY off for the LT1, seems they fail to consider the inpact our unique intake has on powerband and in some cases they advertize litterally 1000rpms lower than you will actually need.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:21 AM

if i build an engine do i have to get it tunned and is it best to get it tunned at a shop. thats all i really want to kno
Old 07-03-2008, 06:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

Also be aware most cam company rpm recommendations are WAY off for the LT1, seems they fail to consider the inpact our unique intake has on powerband and in some cases they advertize litterally 1000rpms lower than you will actually need.

96capricemgr is correct, Do you now how many customers that have come to me saying that their combos should make power to like 6800 RPM and on the Dyno it was all over by 6000, The only cars I have tuned that truly made power all the way to 6800+ was big cubic inch LT's with very aggressive solid rollers..Dont get me wrong, I have had a few Hydro cams pull to 6500 or so but they are few...Sounds like you have a good start though..
Old 07-03-2008, 07:21 PM

if i put a cam in my car and rebuild the hole thing a little more than stock do i need to get it tuned or just put the engine in and run it like thatt!??
Old 07-03-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tune it or get it tuned
Old 07-03-2008, 11:46 PM

how much does a tune up cost and wat does it do
Old 07-04-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

a tune's cost varies depending on who does it or if you do it yourself. the tune optimizes your engine to idle,go WOT and part throttle better. you have to adjust your air/fuel just like on a carbed engine.