LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New LT1 Long Block

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LT1 Long Block

I am ordering a level 2 trans & converter combo from Performabuilt, and waiting to get some pricing on a Fab 9 3.73.
I was going to get my motor rebuilt (I'm in the UK), but searching thru LS1tech I came across Golen Engines.
http://www.golenengineservice.com/sp...l/396_520.html
It looks like a lot of motor for the money. I'm thinking of going this route.
have any of you guys got one of these ? Its rated at 520hp would this be flywheel or rear wheel? Do you think a stock intake with some porting would work, I dont fancy paying for an Edelbrock. Would a 2300-2500 stall work here? Its my DD with racing mainly on the street, with occassional 2-3 strip visits a year.
As I've already got a NOS (dry)system installed do you think this would still work?
Suppose I want you guys to chime in with your experience and suggestions before I part with the cash...
Thanks in advance
Old 07-09-2008, 07:18 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by chevythunderz28
Its rated at 520hp would this be flywheel or rear wheel?
That would be flywheel. Always assume the numbers you see are flywheel unless otherwise specified. 520hp? I think it's a bunch of bullshit especially since it's nothing more than a GM847 cam, but whatever.
Yes you would benefit w/ a port matched intake.
My advice to you is to find a good machine shop locally and have the build done by someone you can personally deal with instead of a telephone.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:19 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What ever you do. Have it shipped through Bax Global. Don't know to much about Golen so I can't comment.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS RRR
That would be flywheel. Always assume the numbers you see are flywheel unless otherwise specified. 520hp? I think it's a bunch of bullshit especially since it's nothing more than a GM847 cam, but whatever.
Yes you would benefit w/ a port matched intake.
My advice to you is to find a good machine shop locally and have the build done by someone you can personally deal with instead of a telephone.
Thanks for your reply SS RRR, guess I was drooling over having a 396 motor with LE heads . Seriously though, what hp do you reckon this motors specs would be.
Thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SRZ
What ever you do. Have it shipped through Bax Global. Don't know to much about Golen so I can't comment.
Thanks SRZ.
Nothing better than a personal recomendation. I take it Bax Global have looked after you in the past..
I'll look at their web site.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Village Troll

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Thanks for your reply SS RRR, guess I was drooling over having a 396 motor with LE heads . Seriously though, what hp do you reckon this motors specs would be.
Thanks
Hard to say. If I were to guess I'd say it'd be more in the 450 to 470hp range. Maybe 400 to 410rwhp through a manual. Unknown through an auto.
So you live in the UK and want a gas guzzler, eh? Wow.. more power to you! How the hell do you get away with speeding over there? I've been told there are speed cameras everywhere around there and that Corvettes along w/ f-bods are massive cars and sometimes difficult to navigate through some of your streets.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Hard to say. If I were to guess I'd say it'd be more in the 450 to 470hp range. Maybe 400 to 410rwhp through a manual. Unknown through an auto.
So you live in the UK and want a gas guzzler, eh? Wow.. more power to you! How the hell do you get away with speeding over there? I've been told there are speed cameras everywhere around there and that Corvettes along w/ f-bods are massive cars and sometimes difficult to navigate through some of your streets.
Hmmmm not a lot for $8000..
I'll give them a call and get more info from them.
I've had American muscle since I left school, and thats quite some moons ago. Right now I have two Z28's a '79 & '96. Lots of American cars over here, plenty of clubs as well - American Muscle Alive And Well in the UK-. You are right plenty of cameras, but still plenty of places without. Plenty of Jap cars here as well, they breed like roaches and group together thinking they invented the muscle car, that pisses me off.
Gas guzzler ? yep, I wouldn't have it any other way around $12 a gallon here...
I'm doing a rebuild -Motor,trans & rear because I was spanked by a Jap car.
I've got to put the record straight. Anyway thanks for your input.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

I've had American muscle since I left school, and thats quite some moons ago. Right now I have two Z28's a '79 & '96. Lots of American cars over here, plenty of clubs as well - American Muscle Alive And Well in the UK-. You are right plenty of cameras, but still plenty of places without. Plenty of Jap cars here as well, they breed like roaches and group together thinking they invented the muscle car, that pisses me off.
Just cant get away from those damn ricers good luck on your build Im in the process of picking out my motor options right now found a builder im ready for my 383
Old 07-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Village Troll

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Just to be as accurate as possible with the power figures I would call golen and see if they can give you references to those who have bought that engine. I'd much rather see if you could get someone to tell you about their setup w/ that engine including timeslips. I just get a real sour taste when I see a "junk science" type of dyno graph beside a product being sold on the internet.

Quick Reply: New LT1 Long Block