LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need Help, 94 A4 Z28 Won't Shift Under Wot, And aAdvice With Tunercat

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help, 94 A4 Z28 Won't Shift Under Wot, And aAdvice With Tunercat

Hello guys. I'm trying to tune my brother's car via Tunercat. However, the first thing that needs to be done is get it to shift. Under WOT, the car will not shift in any gear (1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4). I'm new to tunercat, so I don't know if I changed all of the shift tables correctly, but from everything I'm seeing-they're correct. So I need help. 1.) Can someone tell me which tables should be changed for this car to shift at 5500rpm? 2.) Can you guys tell me some things to troubleshoot as to why it won't shift? 3.) Can you point me to a good site that can help a newbie out with tuning via tunercat? Thanks in advance for all of the help. I'm trying to help my brother out, as it's very frustrating that the car won't shift. Here's his mods:

CAI (Through scoop in SS hood)
mac headers with stock y-pipe and cats
flowmaster cat-back
3:73 gears
basic tune
The car has 245/40/18 tires in the rear, 245/40/17 in the front
shift kit

The car feels like it's sort of "cutting out" at around 4K rpms (don't know if that has to do with the opti), and won't shift. It'll get to 5K rpms, the car will "buck" and make a loud knocking sound. If we let off, and then get back into it, it will shift. Any ideas?
Old 07-14-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad06SS
The car feels like it's sort of "cutting out" at around 4K rpms (don't know if that has to do with the opti), and won't shift. It'll get to 5K rpms, the car will "buck" and make a loud knocking sound. If we let off, and then get back into it, it will shift. Any ideas?
It sounds like you have an actual problem that is not just tuning related.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by infinitebird
It sounds like you have an actual problem that is not just tuning related.
What he says, I would worry about the knocking sound before I kept going WOT to try and solve the shift points, also if it is missing in the upper RPM band this too will cause it to go up to the rev limiter, Fix the other things first then work your way down..........
Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

I agree with previous posts. Once you get it running correctly you can go here for a place to get acquainted with tranny parameters. ' http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498673 ' Knocking and crappy running 4-5K range could be ignition, R U throwing any codes, are the fans always on ? Where did you get the 'basic' tune you mentioned in the OP, did it run OK prior to changing the tune ? Sorry for all the questions, but the more info the better we can assist you.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Well I have the same setup as your bro and after I used my hypertech for the first time it wouldn't shift either, it would start cutting out and misfiring (popping and knocking sound) And not let the trans shift, Does it still have the original opti in it? What about plugs, wires, coil.. All MIne needed was a tune up (new opti, plugs, wires, coil) tune it up and it will be night and day difference. I'm sure it was having problems in the upper R's before he used his tuner? I kno my hypertech just added to my opti and ignition problems.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

i had this problem when i first got my car and i was pissed i thought that my 2-3 clutch pack was going bad. the actuall problem was the original plugs where in it and 3 of them where at .080in gap this caused the poping thus caused the car not wanting to shift. fixed the plugs and have never had a problem since.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys, I'm the op's brother and it's my car. I have been busy so he made the post for me. Anyway this has been a bumpy road ever since i bought the car. I knew the car was geared when i got it so i figured it just needed a tune. So i bought tunercats and after hours of trying to fix the problem it isn't going away. I have changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter and yesterday i changed the throttle position senser hoping to fix the problem. The opti is original and i know it's on it's way out so i am pretty sure that's why it's cutting out up top. After past days i do not think the problem is in the tuning. my guess is that a tranny rebuild is in the near future because i don't think the tune would make the huge popping noise and make you think a lumberjack it hitting the bottom of your car with an ax. when you go wot throttle it will slow up at the top of 4000 rpms and either pause for 3 seconds and shift so hard the car goes sideways and the tires screech from wheelspin or it will just hit the rev limiter. It is very frustrating and hard to keep calm through all of this because i just bought the car. The car is beautiful. It's was a two owner and only garaged it's entire life. it sits on brand new c6 rims and looks great so i really didn't expect this. I am done nailing the car because i feel it will only make it worse. If anyone has any advice after this it would be great and thanks to everyone that has already responded.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

I changed the shift points in the kickdown mode shift tables. You will want to allow about 200 RPM or so to make the shift.
The banging sound is most likely the trans mount - they well known for breaking.

Quick Reply: Need Help, 94 A4 Z28 Won't Shift Under Wot, And aAdvice With Tunercat