LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: Which exhaust setup would flow best?
Magnaflow 3" Catback
27.59%
2 SS Sweet Thunder Chambered Mufflers (setup by a shop)
34.48%
2 Moroso Bullets (setup by a shop)
24.14%
Something else!
13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Magnaflow 3" vs Sweet Thunder vs Dual Bullets

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow 3" vs Sweet Thunder vs Dual Bullets

I know there's a bazillion of these threads already, but it's a pretty tough decision, so any feedback I can get would be much appreciated. I havn't heard any of these systems in person, only from what I've researched online. I really really wanted to go the x-pipe / bullet route, but it's pretty much near impossible with a single cat system in CA. Apparently with the state cutbacks, cops have been cracking down on the modified exhaust crew where I live. One shop owner said I could do "jailtime" for having something like that on my car . So, nevertheless I'm trying to keep it all smog legal.

I've only got a few bolt-ons done to the car right now, but I do plan on throwing a cam and rockers in it. I don't really care too much about the sound, just as long as it's not popping. I want to get something that'll flow good.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make a gmmg system out of the sweet thunders. I dont like spiral flows on a car. They sound like they should be on an old truck
Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I voted the sweet thunders, I dont think you will regret it.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Today my friend and I went for a cruise and traded cars. I got to hear my car a lot from the "observer's" perspective (true duals over the axle with 2 18" Sweet Thunders"). I'm finicky with car exhaust and this just sounds amazing It does however have a bit of a RAP RAP RAP at around 2400 with throttle, but it goes away at 3000 or so.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Make a gmmg system out of the sweet thunders.
Awesome. Yeah that's kinda what I had in mind with the ST's. How much ya think a muffler shop would run in to install a setup like that? I'd like to get SS and mandrel. Is there a welding type I should prefer?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

If you don't mind me asking Purple95Z28, is there anything you wish you had done differently on it - or anything I should watch out for?
Old 08-28-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pointvirus
Awesome. Yeah that's kinda what I had in mind with the ST's. How much ya think a muffler shop would run in to install a setup like that? I'd like to get SS and mandrel. Is there a welding type I should prefer?
Well you'd want it Tig welded......but cost wise you'd be better off doing something else...stainless is so expensive now...i was quoted over 2k alone in tubing if i wanted my duals done in stainless.....also have you seen the inside of sweet thunders? i knew i wanted a chambered muffler but when i saw the inside of one of those compared to a powerstick there was no doubt in my mind to go w/ powerstick....search around their sites for pics of the inside and you'll see what i mean
Old 08-28-2008, 02:30 AM
Staging Lane

Yikes, I think i'll pass on the 2k SS then.

Yeah, that had me a little concerned too. The ST's have little bent-in divets in the tubing as opposed to the hole-punched Powerstick's. Any regrets with the Powersticks?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v94QV1si9gc

thats my car with Pacesetter LT's 3" Xpipe and Dynomax Bullets the video is bad sound quality.

here is another of a guy with the same setup doing a pull

keep in mind both of our cars have the 847 cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOVBm...eature=related
Old 08-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, that's almost exactly what I originally wanted. You just can't beat the X-pipe sound. But unfortunately I gotta keep it mid-tubed and Y-piped. I'm afraid if I didn't do the LT/x-pipe route it wouldn't come out good. I wonder if there's anyone that has done the y-piped dual bullets.

Sweet cam btw.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pointvirus
Yeah, that's almost exactly what I originally wanted. You just can't beat the X-pipe sound. But unfortunately I gotta keep it mid-tubed and Y-piped. I'm afraid if I didn't do the LT/x-pipe route it wouldn't come out good. I wonder if there's anyone that has done the y-piped dual bullets.

Sweet cam btw.
why do you have to stay with mid tubes and y pipe.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

A couple weeks ago, I went out to some shops around town to see who would fab up a system for me if I got a x-pipe and two bullets. They all told me that not only would it have to be a "cash only, no invoice" type of deal, but i'd be running the risk of getting impounded and or "jail time". They told me that the law enforcement around here are cracking down on cars with illegally modified exhausts.

Oh, and if I had a dual-cat camaro, it'd be no problem; they can have x-pipes no prob. But as soon as I move the location of the cat, it's illegal. I'm really at a loss, I don't want to do the y-pipe, but it seems to be my only choice.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:00 AM
TECH Regular

that sucks. glad I don't live on the west coast.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

And I thought the stuff here in MA was strict...

But cops here are too lazy to bend over and look to see whats under the car... I dont blame them, I wouldent care about exhaust if I was a cop...
Old 08-30-2008, 01:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

i live in Ca, in the bay area and am running true duals with out cats. Just don't give the cops an excuse to pull you over-easier said than done I know. I love my 3'' magnaflows!
Old 08-30-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

**** the Smog Gustappos and get what you want with the X pipe, **** the cat. Just drive smart.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

I agree. **** the PO-LICE!

dude, I say to TDs w/ classic chambered mufflers and cats. Do the cats (2), right after the headers and get them high flow.

This way, it's quieter, w/ reduced/no rasp and deeper tone.

Gotta love it.

NINJA EDIT:
Oh, and California is GAY!!!!

Last edited by integraxtc; 08-30-2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: to mention that California is GAY!
Old 08-31-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, Cali is gay. If you are going to go with cats, I agree with the high flow ones.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i just got 3'' magnaflow and i absolutely love it... i also love the sound of the powersticks, but i'm in love with my magnaflow right now and can't go against it
Old 08-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by integraxtc
Oh, and California is GAY!!!!
Yeah, Cali can be a PITA sometimes.

Alright, alright. I'm going the x-pipe route . Your right, I don't ever really street race anyway, and if I do, I make damn sure it's clear. I found a shop in my area whose son drives a 11 second LS1, w/ true duals. I'll see if I can get the down low on some "reputable" smog facilities.

I think i'm leaning towards the x-pipe'd powersticks, but then again magnaflow's definitely got the bling factor being all SS, and they sound great too.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 3" vs Sweet Thunder vs Dual Bullets