Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Does YOUR Clutch Setup need a Shim?

Old 07-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPEC clutch and shim

I had a stage 3 with no shim for 5 years no problem with clutch. I installed a SPEC stage 2+ this weekend, new slave, new flywheel. I measured both "a" and "b" had 1/16th diff. So I opted not to put in the shim. Now my pedal is near the floor after bleeding the system. It is hard shifting and will not go in reverse. If you start the car in gear it will creep forward, obviously the clutch is not fully disengaging. I will pull it this week and put in the shim. Even when measureing you may still need to shim. If you are having problems getting the car in gear, after you have bled the clutch you may have to shim it for proper engagement even if your measurements were in tolerance.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSTUD
I had a stage 3 with no shim for 5 years no problem with clutch. I installed a SPEC stage 2+ this weekend, new slave, new flywheel. I measured both "a" and "b" had 1/16th diff. So I opted not to put in the shim. Now my pedal is near the floor after bleeding the system. It is hard shifting and will not go in reverse. If you start the car in gear it will creep forward, obviously the clutch is not fully disengaging. I will pull it this week and put in the shim. Even when measureing you may still need to shim. If you are having problems getting the car in gear, after you have bled the clutch you may have to shim it for proper engagement even if your measurements were in tolerance.
Did it work for you?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Teching In

I have a Textralia clutch and it came with a brand new slave/TO bearing assembly. My gap comes out to 5/16" (.313) which is more than either Tick or Ram recommends. With my old (extremely worn out) T/O assy. and the new clutch, the gap is only 1/8" (.125) which is supposed to be ok. In comparing the two T/O assys. without the springs in them, the new one compresses all the way in until the plastic retainer piece contacts the base of the assy. while the old one stops about 3/16" from hitting. Does this sound right? Is there something wrong with the new T/O assy.? If this sounds normal, where do I get shims from? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Launching!

does anybody have the instructions for the ram dual disc for a ls1 fbody from ram? just tried to call they r only 45 mins from me but there tech is closed for 2day
Old 08-26-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

This might help.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/11466688-post72.html

Old 08-27-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why isn't this a sticky anymore?
Old 09-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Banned

took me a few tries, but I see now.

If the measurement on "B" is greater then "A" it will keep slight preasure on the fingers of the presure plate the hole time....

correct?

Last edited by maxspeed96ct; 09-19-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Grifter
It should be maybe it got too long???????
Old 09-24-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Grifter
Because it's in the list of stickied threads at the top of the page...
Old 10-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
took me a few tries, but I see now.

If the measurement on "B" is greater then "A" it will keep slight preasure on the fingers of the presure plate the hole time....

correct?
Correct

I have read this whole thread through now & I'm glad you guys made it a sticky for guys like me to find. I totally understand the shiming (if required) measurements. I have been all over the Aussie LS1 forums asking these question but so far nobody has answered me. Even with the various aftermarket clutch sponsors on those sites .

I'm in the middle of making up a Twin Disc clutch kit to fit a T56 M12 up behind a Supercharged 3800 GMH V6. Presently nobody made a flywheel to do this so a custom one has been made now. Some measurement & info has been very hard to obtain, even from the clutch manufacturers (Clutch Industries Australia).

A few questions I have you may be able to answer.

First question(s):

On the T56 with CSC TOB in say your 2004 GTO (our monaro ), how far will the CSC move out with one full depression of the clutch pedal, assuming a correctly bled system ?

Example: if the CSC is preloaded back 5/8" from rest postion (uninstalled unit), will it extend forward the full 5/8" with one full depression of the clutch pedal. Or will it only move out say 7/16" dependant on master cylinder volume/per stroke ?

Second question(s):

Do all clutch pressure plates need the same amount of diaphragm finger deflection to release the plate(s) fully, like 3/8" or 1/2" ?

Can the diaphragm fingers be over deflected if the setting up of the slave is wrong, causing some sort of damage to the pressure plate ?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Deek

Last edited by OZ38; 10-02-2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 10-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Teching In

mmm... does anyone see these posts when they are tucked away inside the sticky threads ???

Maybe I need to put my question forward in the General Manual Transmission forum section ?

Cheers

Deek
Old 10-06-2009, 01:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OZ38
Correct

I have read this whole thread through now & I'm glad you guys made it a sticky for guys like me to find. I totally understand the shiming (if required) measurements. I have been all over the Aussie LS1 forums asking these question but so far nobody has answered me. Even with the various aftermarket clutch sponsors on those sites .

I'm in the middle of making up a Twin Disc clutch kit to fit a T56 M12 up behind a Supercharged 3800 GMH V6. Presently nobody made a flywheel to do this so a custom one has been made now. Some measurement & info has been very hard to obtain, even from the clutch manufacturers (Clutch Industries Australia).

A few questions I have you may be able to answer.

First question(s):

On the T56 with CSC TOB in say your 2004 GTO (our monaro ), how far will the CSC move out with one full depression of the clutch pedal, assuming a correctly bled system ?

Example: if the CSC is preloaded back 5/8" from rest postion (uninstalled unit), will it extend forward the full 5/8" with one full depression of the clutch pedal. Or will it only move out say 7/16" dependant on master cylinder volume/per stroke ?

Second question(s):

Do all clutch pressure plates need the same amount of diaphragm finger deflection to release the plate(s) fully, like 3/8" or 1/2" ?

Can the diaphragm fingers be over deflected if the setting up of the slave is wrong, causing some sort of damage to the pressure plate ?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Deek
Bump
Old 10-08-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Default Break in for t56

Oops wrong thread
Old 10-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Teching In

I installed a Spec 3+ in my 2001 Corvette and was unaware of the possible need for a shim. So, i didn t measure it when it was apart. Everything works Great so far!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by OZ38

Second question(s):

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Deek
First of all, you should have started your own thread on this topic. People come here to read up on a shim, not to answer questions that are

Not being an *** my friend, just telling you that is why you have not been helped yet.

PM coming, so as not to
Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

It all makes sense to me today about measuring etc. but now i've got conflicting measurements.
According to Tick the gap should be .0625-.125 & RAM says .175-.225 gap..... I've got a Spec 3+ what gap should i shoot for?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

more problems..... i just measured all my stuff and its -.220" in other words I have no gap and if i bolted everything together the TOB would push in the fingers .220" before i even touched the pedal........... this is stupid. i miss automatics right now. HELP!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Ok new news, i figured out that the slave cylinder wasn't retracted all the way but now it is 100% and its still no gap or very little best case.

Distance "A" from fingers to bell housing flange is average of 2.328"
Distance "B" from bearing surface of TOB to flange of torque tube average is 2.355"
= -.027 gap (negative gap)

I can't figure out whats wrong? I've triple checked everything and its all right.

Only thing i can think of is I bought a new lightweight Yella Terra steel flywheel and could the offset from the surface area where the bolt holes are to the flywheel surface be machined wrong? that would throw that number into a negative really easy if it was......
Old 10-29-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ksths2
Ok new news, i figured out that the slave cylinder wasn't retracted all the way but now it is 100% and its still no gap or very little best case.

Distance "A" from fingers to bell housing flange is average of 2.328"
Distance "B" from bearing surface of TOB to flange of torque tube average is 2.355"
= -.027 gap (negative gap)

I can't figure out whats wrong? I've triple checked everything and its all right.

Only thing i can think of is I bought a new lightweight Yella Terra steel flywheel and could the offset from the surface area where the bolt holes are to the flywheel surface be machined wrong? that would throw that number into a negative really easy if it was......
I think Tick vs Rams measurements have to do with the differences in slave cylinders. Not all are created equal. When retracted some slaves are longer or deeper than others.

This is from Ram clutches for the F-body.
http://www.ramclutches.com/Tech/Tech...%20Bearing.jpg

Would the torque tube flange on a Vette be the "same equivilent" measuring reference point as the "mounting face of transmission" on an F-body ?

Old 11-05-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

Update: I got the right flywheel and its a SLP standard weight and everything is good as far as a gap is concerned. Its .050 gap with new throw out bearing and the old shot one measures .072 gap so I'm assuming it'll break in and be perfect.
I got it all back together and the clutch engages right off the floor and its hard to shift so basically the clutch is not disengaging.... what do I do? or what is wrong? i bled it over and over and pedal still feels the same.

LSTUD what end up happening???? anyone help me please!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does YOUR Clutch Setup need a Shim?