Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec Lightweight flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 01:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spec Lightweight flywheel

I have a spec lightweight flywheel and am debating whether or not to use it. It's going behind my heads/cam/nitrous car. Some say it's bad with heat others love it. Anybody have any experience with it? Car is occasionally tracked and i'm sure it will be tracked quite regularly this season. I just don't need another clutch issue. i do have a stock flywheels and non lightweight spec to use if it would be better for the clutch.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:07 AM
10 Second Club

keep it
Old 12-14-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

Use it.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

I would use it too..... However you might lose a little TQ becuz of the less rotation mass. A lite weight flywheel might be more ideal for autoXing, steel one for drag racing. With the litewight flywheel, the motor should spin up faster resulting in better ETs. Theres really a flipside to that coin.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:40 PM
FormerVendor

It is best to consider your plans for the car when choosing the flywheel you use. Are you going to Drag Race, Road Race, or use this primarily as a street car. Are you running a drag radial, slick or basic street tire. What kind of torque are you going to make?

If the car, and the tire, are going to remain the same (except for the addition of the lightened flywheel) then it helps to know if you are bogging off the launch or if you are overpowering the current tire? If you are then Aluminum can help dampen the hit of power and will thus allow you to get out of the hole with less tire spin.

I hope this info helps. Let me know what you are planning to do and I will be happy to provide more info. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use it you'd better get it balanced. The Fidanza stuff is not balanced. You also need to get the steel insert properly surfaced before you use it. They are not good to go right out of the box. I learned the hard way.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Default Flywheel

I agree with everything above aluminum flywheels have there place in the world especially where weight is concerned, if you decide that this is not the piece for you. We have flywheels that are a lightweight flywheel that is 4140 forged steel and is not only SFI approved, it is also a one piece design that is. resurfaceable and still only 15.4 lbs.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got a Fidanza flywheel and straight out of the box it was balanced fine.

Oh and the argument about it not being good for dragracing isn't 100% true.

Not that I have experience with it, but according to one of the Tosto brother's, he had a light flywheel on his car for a while. He said it actually helped hit the tires smoother than a heavier flywheel. Granted, you have to adjust your launch rpm upwards by 500-1000rpm, but supposedly it allows a smoother transition of power to the wheels and helps to get traction out of the hole.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 12-16-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When did Fidanza start balancing them? The data sheet/install sheet that came with mine said it is CNC machined and as such should be close but is not checked for balance. Mine had a vibration right out of the box and the steel insert was slick and was not true. Maybe they're (Fidanza) doing a better job now. Glad yours is good.

As far as the less rotating mass stuff goes, I saw no problem with a standing start and the RPM's picked up a lot quicker.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe they didn't specifically balance it, but my machine shop said it was balanced to the point where they had a hard time finding a heavy side.

If memory serves me correctly, it was way less than an ounce out of balance.

And they did a quick surface cleaning as well and found to be flat within 0.001"
Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

I have a spec aluminum flywheel, i never heard that they don't balance them......I hope that is not true!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

The question of balancing was not relative to our parts but to Fidanza's.

Quick Reply: Spec Lightweight flywheel