Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Some quick clutch questions 4 a newB

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool Some quick clutch questions 4 a newB

It s about time for a new clutch in my t/a. I was seriously considering a ls7 clutch kit, but i've heard numerous problems about the clutch pedal staying down during high rpm shifts after getting a few miles on the clutch... someting to do with the pp or disk i think??? I've also heard many great things about them however. Recently i've looked into monster clutches and TDP clutches. Does anyone have any feedback or experience with either of these clutches as far as reliability and performance? I like the fact that they both have 1 year warranties because I don't have a huge budget to keep swapping in different clutches if one fails. The car's gotten 90k miles on the stock clutch with normal around town driving/ some highway driving and occasional spirited driving with NO track time. I hope to get about that with one of these clutches so if anyone can provide me with some more experienced insight, I would gratly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4DSPNKR
It s about time for a new clutch in my t/a. I was seriously considering a ls7 clutch kit, but i've heard numerous problems about the clutch pedal staying down during high rpm shifts after getting a few miles on the clutch... someting to do with the pp or disk i think??? I've also heard many great things about them however. Recently i've looked into monster clutches and TDP clutches. Does anyone have any feedback or experience with either of these clutches as far as reliability and performance? I like the fact that they both have 1 year warranties because I don't have a huge budget to keep swapping in different clutches if one fails. The car's gotten 90k miles on the stock clutch with normal around town driving/ some highway driving and occasional spirited driving with NO track time. I hope to get about that with one of these clutches so if anyone can provide me with some more experienced insight, I would gratly appreciate it. Thanks
I've never heard of the clutch staying down on the LS7 clutch, except when its related to shitty *** hydraulics. Do yourself a favor and swap the slave and install an Adjustable Tick Master Cylinder while doing the clutch. This combination should insure you a good drive with no sticking problems. The LS7 clutch can hold approximately 450rwhp on an fbody, and for daily driving with spirited sprints in between, it will be perfect. My own '99 WS6 has the LS7 kit with it, LS7 + tick master + slave should run you about $900 for parts (doing brain guesstimating)
Old 12-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Aetos (or anyone else), here is what im talking about
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-good-bad.html
(post #15)
Can anyone provide an opinion on experience with monster clutches or TDP clutches?
BTW: I do plan on running a tick master.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4DSPNKR
Aetos (or anyone else), here is what im talking about
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-good-bad.html
(post #15)
Can anyone provide an opinion on experience with monster clutches or TDP clutches?
BTW: I do plan on running a tick master.

I think those people are alone on that, if you continue reading that same thread, there are people with 10k+ miles with track usage with no sticking issues whatsoever.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

I agree that most people dont have problems with the ls7, but if im one of those unlucky ones, there is no warranty on it like the monster or TDP. I've heard lots of good things about the ls7s but its posts like this that turn me away from them :

"Theres a TSB for LS7 pressure plates failing to release at high rpm."

and

"Switched out LS-7 Pressure Plate/disc with new Pressure Plate and new LS-7 Clutch disc.....

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So either it was a bad pressure plate or bad disc
Brand new kit with faulty parts....
-I'm out hundreds in shipping losses

-I'm out over a hundred in unneeded hydrolics....

-I'm out humdreds in extra charges from the transmission shop....Cant blame them they have had my tranny out at least half a dozen times, and have been working on my car for just under 4 weeks

THANKS GM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spoke to a LS-1 auto and t56 transmission GURU in Floridia...
And he says that THIS IS A COMMON OCURRANCE AS WELL. LS-7 CLUTCH KITS COME WITH BAD PPs or disc alot. In fact alot of shops IN THE KNOW will not put them in any more due to this!!!!!!!!"

I'd really like for some people to chime in on their experieces with either Monster or TDP!!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Clutch

Sorry, I do not have any experiance with Monster or TDP I think that atleast in Monsters case the reason that you don't see a lot of feedback is that it is so early. I would hope atleast that these clutchs have not had time to fail. I have however read some very good reviews on the GTO site and I know that they have some good pieces. The sticking problem that you mention is a plague of almost all clutches in these cars. It is caused by a mix of poorly designed hydraulics and performance pieces that put a strain on them. You would be doing well to put a new slave, new Tick Master and a good performance clutch in the car. I can only help you with the good performance clutch at this time. I have a pressure plate that is 3400 lbs and still has the pedal feel of stock. The clutch disc that goes with it is an organic disc that will hold 500rwhp and still feel like stock. If you are intrested let me know.

Thanks,
CB
Old 12-16-2008, 02:04 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Thanks for your interest in my product, Diamond Clutch (aka TDP Clutches). I have been selling these for the last 1.5yrs with nothing but good results. I offer a Stage 2 which sounds just like the one you need. It is a step up from the LS7. The LS7 clutch is designed to work with the LS7 slave cylinder. I believe that is why I've seen so many problems with it while being used with an LS1 style slave cylinder. The LS7 slave is about 3/4in taller and a completely different design. At any rate, my Stage 2 Clutch kit is on special for $550 shipped. It includes a stock 23lb flywheel, 12" organic disc, HD 12in pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot, and alignment tool.
Here is a link so you can see some feedback on my clutches. They are mainly talking about my Stage 3, which is a little more rigid than the Stage 2, and $120 more.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...-clutches.html

I'd be glad to help you out. Thanks!

-Jason
Old 12-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the answers! keep em comin!
bump for the evening crowd
Old 12-16-2008, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Jason is going to put a stage 2 in for me tomorrow. he seems like a nice guy and haven't read anything bad on him or the clutches. he has been very flexible and willing to help. i feel very good about the expierence so far and have no doubt i'll be thrilled with the clutch.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

I just sent Jason an email. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:32 AM
FormerVendor

I think it is interesting that the LS7 kit had an issue that was mearly passed off as being plate related. It is significant to remember that these units have a SAC (Self-Adjuecting Cover) from the factory and as with any SAC design the adjusters can missalign leading to some unusual occurences.

It is likely that the plate you had was simply hung-up, due to issues with the adjusters. For anyone having issues with the SAC units in the future where the pedal sticks or the clutch does not fully release, let me know and I will be happy to take a look at pics of the parts to assist you. If these issues are in fact SAC related then it should be pretty obvious when examining the plate. I hope this info helps. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2008, 04:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CBCCI
Sorry, I do not have any experiance with Monster or TDP I think that atleast in Monsters case the reason that you don't see a lot of feedback is that it is so early. I would hope atleast that these clutchs have not had time to fail. I have however read some very good reviews on the GTO site and I know that they have some good pieces. The sticking problem that you mention is a plague of almost all clutches in these cars. It is caused by a mix of poorly designed hydraulics and performance pieces that put a strain on them. You would be doing well to put a new slave, new Tick Master and a good performance clutch in the car. I can only help you with the good performance clutch at this time. I have a pressure plate that is 3400 lbs and still has the pedal feel of stock. The clutch disc that goes with it is an organic disc that will hold 500rwhp and still feel like stock. If you are intrested let me know.

Thanks,
CB
Agreed.

And I'll be the first to tell you guys that we have had some failures, to say that you haven't is just silly.

We do have a very loyal following on the GTO forums where we released our product initially. We chose that platform due to the extreme stresses that it puts on the drivetrain. We've got a ton of guys running these things with great reviews, hell, I'll give you the names of the guys that had failures, we aren't hiding anything.

As for our clutches, we've tested them and we back 'em, no questions asked. All the failures we've had were taken care of by warranty and they are all satisfied, we strive to make you guys happy, without you we're nothing.