Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LTx clutch recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTx clutch recommendations

I have a 95 TA 383 LT4 attempting to put 500+ rwhp N/A down after this winters modifications and was wondering what clutch kit you would recommend. I have a Spec Stage 3+ and loved the way it drove and hooked but only thing that leaves me any doubt is that I never took it to the track last year and never did any hard launches. So i'm uncertain how it holds after a couple of nice launches. There's got to be some fault somewhere as good of a clutch it was. So, what does everybody run in the LTx M6 world w/ some decent power. I'm currently running a Fidanza lightweight aluminum flywheel and really have no desire to get rid of it so no twin discs, but you can still post your opinion on them.

Also, i know they make aftermarket bell housings for LSx's, do they make them for LTx's as well? Can you modify a LSx bell housing to fit an LTx?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

McLeod just came out with an LTx bellhousing. I can't comment on the clutch since I'm only making 430rwhp, but Im going to give the powergrip HD a try.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Awesome on the LTx bellhousing! I'll definitely have to check them out! Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting a slightly used (5k miles) twin disk mcleod this weekend...i will probably sell it since i'm getting a really good deal on it and gonna go w/ spec 2+ but then again im just bolt on's. If you're interested I'll probably put the clutch up for sale next week
Old 12-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Teching In

I'll keep that in mind, when you get it if you don't mind PM me and i'll see what my thought line is then. I'm rarely on the forum here.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
I'm getting a slightly used (5k miles) twin disk mcleod this weekend...i will probably sell it since i'm getting a really good deal on it and gonna go w/ spec 2+ but then again im just bolt on's. If you're interested I'll probably put the clutch up for sale next week
Why would buy a Mcleod Twin,sell it and put a spec in? Rebuild the twin for $450, get a like new clutch and have something to grow into. That just dosen't make sense. For everybody else the Mcleod Super Street pro is perfect for people making less than 500hp and very compariable to the RAM or Centerforce.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dwn Cam
Why would buy a Mcleod Twin,sell it and put a spec in? Rebuild the twin for $450, get a like new clutch and have something to grow into. That just dosen't make sense. For everybody else the Mcleod Super Street pro is perfect for people making less than 500hp and very compariable to the RAM or Centerforce.
because i have a 10 bolt w/ 4.10s...the clutch will be way more than i need. As soon as I pop that clutch for the 1st time my rear will be done for. a spec 2+ will be much easier on my drivetrain
Old 12-31-2008, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Anybody else have an recommendations? I've done a lot of research and it seems that the LSx crowd only had the problems with the Spec clutches. So i'm contemplating going back with a Spec Stage 3+. Any suggestions?
Old 12-31-2008, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Centerforce DFX is real popular with the mustang guys. I would probably be running one right now if they didn't decide to increase their price $200 over the course of a couple months.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

from what ive been told my the local fbody shop is that centerforce is junk. lots of people ls1/lt1 around he have had very good results w/ the 3+. We have several stroker ls motors making serious power running the 3+ and some lt guys and they love it
Old 01-02-2009, 10:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been banging on a Centerforce DF since 2002. 90% of it at the track on ET Streets with no issues yet. I'm sure it's on it's last leg but it was good money spent when I bught it. It replaced a Ram HD which had horrible chatter on the street causing it's life to be cut short. I want to get another DF when this one finnaly quits but I've also heard many people say Centerforces are junk, maybe I just got lucky. On the other hand I've heard Spec's suck as well, I'm not sure what I'll go with I think every companies product performs different in every car, plus I don't know how many issues were from inproper instalation! Good luck with your search.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Thanks Josh, every opinion and post is appreciated!

This year is going to be a different year for the car, quite a few changes and I finally get to take it to the track w/ no worries of it breaking (hopefully) Motor is bullet proof, rear is definitely bullet proof, and the tranny will be in a matter of weeks. Its going to be a fun year

Quick Reply: LTx clutch recommendations