Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing Puller Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot bearing Puller Help!

Anyone know of a good pilot bearing puller I could get? and where to buy or order one that with fit ls1 size pilot bearings.

I have a slide hammer type pilot bearing puller and its not doing anything, it hasnt moved one bit. I think I just need a good screw type puller anybody know of anything? I know OTC makes a good one but which part # is it 7318 or 7319 ? cause they have 2 of them and i dont know which one will work with our type pilot bearing.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Black99T\A; 01-12-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Autozone rents a blind hole puller that works really good, just used it to pull one out this past weekend.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black99T\A
Anyone know of a good pilot bearing puller I could get? and where to buy or order one that with fit ls1 size pilot bearings.

I have a slide hammer type pilot bearing puller and its not doing anything, it hasnt moved one bit. I think I just need a good screw type puller anybody know of anything? I know OTC makes a good one but which part # is it 7318 or 7319 ? cause they have 2 of them and i dont know which one will work with our type pilot bearing.

Thanks in advance
Sorry, I don't know the part number you're looking for.

The slide puller didn't budge it for me either. I ended up dremeling the crap out of it and then using a chisel to crack it.

In retrospect I wonder if you banged the bearing in just a little with a chisel or whatever if then it would be loose enough for the slide puller to work.

I added a picture of a nice looking puller in this thread over here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...al-issues.html
Old 01-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Teching In

I have a really good one I bought from Mac quite a few years back. Not sure they still offer it? I'll find the number I know it's on the box maybe you can still buy one? I will post it tomorrow when I can. Bob
Old 12-08-2009, 01:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm seeing a lot of posts about getting the bearing out, but what about putting in the new one? does it just press in? do i line it up and hammer it in?
Old 12-08-2009, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Use a loaf of white bread, keep stuffing it in there with your clutch algnment tool(might have to trim the round thing off the end of it) and just keep stuffing it in there, use a hammer if need be. and just keep stuffing peices in there, and bam, it will start to come out!

I swear on it. I have done it this way about 15 times! works perfect EVERYTIME!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
Use a loaf of white bread, keep stuffing it in there with your clutch algnment tool(might have to trim the round thing off the end of it) and just keep stuffing it in there, use a hammer if need be. and just keep stuffing peices in there, and bam, it will start to come out!

I swear on it. I have done it this way about 15 times! works perfect EVERYTIME!!!
that sounds like a very good way to push the crank freeze plug right in.....

bad idea.....
Old 12-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TINKRD
that sounds like a very good way to push the crank freeze plug right in.....

bad idea.....
Exactly...please don't use this method. It might work some of the time, but in general is just a bad idea.

Quick Reply: Pilot bearing Puller Help!