Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Fidanza Flywheel question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fidanza Flywheel question

As some of you may know now, I have taken a small poll on a clutch setup for my 414". And I would say that the likely hood of me going Mcleod Street Twin is a fore gone conclusion. However, I was looking at running the Fidanza Flywheel.
Any of you guys running that piece? Happy with it? Just want to make the right step, ONCE, and not have to go back and have a do over. Thanks for teh info!!
Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

I've got one behind my procharged ls1, and the only problem with it is that it is too light from take off. Once moving it's great, but leaving a light takes some getting used to.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by rwb
I've got one behind my procharged ls1, and the only problem with it is that it is too light from take off. Once moving it's great, but leaving a light takes some getting used to.

Ok, thanks. I am taking it that this is your full weight street car then? Mine is NOT a DD and is only a weekend warrior so to speak.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one with my Spec3+ in my 3700lb DD and it drives just fine from a stop light.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Yep, I have one with a pretty aggressive clutch. I love it, It revs like raped ape. I just wished I would of went with a less aggressive clutch.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:02 PM
FormerVendor

All right guys, looks like alot of good info here. I guess what it came down to is SO MANY options for the '56, and this being my first go round with it, made my head spin!!! Hell, when I last ran a car (SBF) it was basically 2 or 3 clutches and it was either 1 for street or a few for the track, and that WAS IT. I would have to say there is an honest 50 clutches out there right now just for the '56
Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
Yep, I have one with a pretty aggressive clutch. I love it, It revs like raped ape. I just wished I would of went with a less aggressive clutch.
So your saying that your takeoff is pretty good with the aluminim flywheel? No regrets? Just asking, cuz im interested in doing the same thing...
Old 01-15-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

I don't know why people complain about take-off, I really didn't notice a difference, I don't slip either (really can't with my clutch). Even if you do notice a difference on take off, it's well worth the fast revving you get out of it. You WILL notice a big power difference. I noticed it better than my headers.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I daily drove mine in Houston traffic FWIW, no complaints.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

you'll definatly notice a difference from a stop....but with a little getting used to it, and a few more rpms...its not a big deal.

i too have the aggressive stg 4 clutch...solid disk...which does make for some rougher than normal starts.
the car wil buck sometimes if i don't get the rpms just right or the clutch release just right.
i find this to be MUCH worse when i'm trying to baby it out of the hole....either in my condo at night/morning (pissy neighbors don't like cam+TDs+rpms), or if i'm inching around in traffic. the worst thing i run into is when i have a car in front of me at a light, they start moving...but are going about 2mph...basically i have to work the clutch on and off...cause if i give it gas to keep from stalling...i'm in their trunk

but as they said...once you're moving... its all

lightning fast revs
quick rev matching for down shifts
less jolt at power shifts

sometimes i think its what is helping my 10bolt live so long behind 400rwhp and 315s