Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need a smooth, streetable clutch for 500+HP

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

considering that the stage3 is junk
this coming from a guy who let it sit for 3 years??? you didnt even try it??? i have to say, i've had my Stage 3 for over 20000 miles now and it still grabs like a ****!! AND it was already in the car when i got it, so add another 10000. Id be hard pressed to get anything different when it wears out on me someday,,,you missed out due to bandwagon info my friend, at least Spec was cool enough to do what they did for you,,,3 years later and you want a new, upgraded part cause of "stuff you've heard",,,and want it for free.....thats bold.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

guys, you can go back and forth on this thread all you want, but I just dont want a Mod to lock this thread, because of it...
Old 02-05-2009, 04:47 PM
FormerVendor

LS, I understand and I agree...I have said my peace and answered the questions/accusations that I feel needed answers. If anyone has any further questions regarding this you are welcome to IM me or email me if you like. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(You decided to allow your shop to modify it. (As a side note, since you had your shop modify our pressure-plate, you have technically voided your warranty.)

The shop is Merkel racing well respected enging builder and maching shop here on LI and been around forever. The clutch was not modified , your holes in your pressure plate were to big for the stock GM fly wheel dowel pins ,So steped dowle pins were custom made and pressed into my New GM fly wheel, Ill be honest with you The Shop staff said that your clutch was a POS, I wasnt going to say anymore about this but you keep going , like your winning because you have the last word,

So in the shops opion you pressure plate is a cheap chinese imported piece. And thats why there is problems with them, to get them to fit & balance right .

If your clutch holds up in my car , i will be honest and tell everyone its Good,
For now i am done.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

So Im wondering this...

Yes I am going to purchase my clutch, possibly next friday or later(so it will go on my future credit card bill)...

But when I installed my Tick adjustable master cyl, the car was able to shift at high rpms, but lets say on the 2-3 shift it kind of grinded going in (trans is in fine shape)... So could the explantion be this? The Ls7 clutch is slipping at high rpms, because #1 the power im making is pretty much the limit, on top of that, I am heavier than a Z06, and lastly I had a 300+ passenger as well in the car.. Last but not least the friction material on the clutch is almost worn down anyhow...

so would these reasons be legitimate ones, to why the car still grinds into gear (vs before it would grind worse, it would get stuck in gear and lastly the clutch pedal would sink) so the Adjustable mater cyl solved that, so now my weakest point is my clutch slipping at high rpms..

are these statements reasonable?
Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 AM
FormerVendor

The fact that you are seeing a grind in one gear change evidences the possibility for a transmission issue rather than a clutch issue. If this were something relaitive to a clutch problem then you would see issues in shifting in all gears. I would have the selector and fork checked for issues. These are known weak points in the T56. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2009, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
The fact that you are seeing a grind in one gear change evidences the possibility for a transmission issue rather than a clutch issue. If this were something relaitive to a clutch problem then you would see issues in shifting in all gears. I would have the selector and fork checked for issues. These are known weak points in the T56. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Its not in one gear, I also had it in 1-2 and 3-4 when My master cyl was still stock... Im sure the clutch is slipping..

It was when I drove it hard that day, because I only went WOT a couple times.. The first time It didnt go in, the 2nd time it kind of grinded to go in...

But thanks.. I should have mentioned earlier that it did it in other gears too..

Now when I drive it again, and if it continuously is doing it in the same gear, I will let you guys know (then I know its time for a rebuild), but I doubt that, because its been rebuilt for about 22 months now and I didnt drive for 12 months of that time..
Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

So I am now ready to go ahead and order my clutch...

Monster Stage 3, it is...

I will call SNL tomorrow, my internet isnt working at home, so I hope they do phone orders...

I also hope I can get a Quicktime bellhousing soon, from them as well...
Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Teching In

People have been saying spec is junk for a reason. I have driven numerous cars with spec clutches and they are. Mine had a stage 4 that chattered the entire time it was in there. It really blew. My mustang had a stage 3 and didnt last long and chattered the entire time. All installed by a reputable shop and done correctly.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my RAM HD. But if you want a stock light and smooth clutch, get a twin disc. I had some light chatter for the 1st 100miles, and if I had 4 people in the car, and a lot of weight. I took the back seat out, and its fine now.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:13 AM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really hope your wrong jdmoore144 because i have a stage 3+ waiting to go in.

But yes i have heard so many LS1 guys say the same thing about Spec clutches.
Even tho your spec-clutches were (All installed by a reputable shop and done correctly) What did Spec say about that??? I love to hear it.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by studderin
and if I had 4 people in the car, and a lot of weight. I took the back seat out, and its fine now.

Hahaha! Quick way to say, "no room in my car guys"! I was teh same way back in teh day. Friday night, everyone want to pile into my car, and I am like MAN, can I add any more weight So, I yanked the back seat and put an end to that!!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
So I am now ready to go ahead and order my clutch...

Monster Stage 3, it is...

I will call SNL tomorrow, my internet isnt working at home, so I hope they do phone orders...

I also hope I can get a Quicktime bellhousing soon, from them as well...

That is how I ordered mine, over teh phone, so you will be good to go there.
I have the SFI Mcleod bell (I picked up the modular however, since I may swap trannies one day)
Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 AM
FormerVendor

Hey JD, complaining that a pucked disc chatters, especially a rigid hub unit like a stage four means that you would have been better off getting a full-faced disc. Pucked disc are more prone to chatter than any other disc type. This is a result of the reduced friction surface area, the increase friction coeffecient and the higher clamp pressure plate. There are a number of options available that will provide good capacity and better drivability...like the stage 3+. At any rate, I ust wanted you to realize that stage choice, planned use of the parts, and personal preference can greatly impact your experience with any part.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:45 AM
FormerVendor

I got a puck. I want some chatter, since I am partially deaf, won't bother me
Old 02-17-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

TWIN DISK CLUTCH!!!!!

-any time you are running higher them stock hp or considering more then stock hp
-want street manners, strip/track performance

i cant believe how many people fall into the gimick of high performing single disk clutches.
circuit track racing, drag racing all use multiple disk clutches, even the new corvette zr1 is a twin disk. GM wanted low rotating inertia mass, street manners, light pedal, while being able to with stand a beating. twin disk!!!

Mcleod RST or RXT
Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 AM
FormerVendor

Ibanez: Though, I can certainly appreciate your apparent passion for multi-disc clutch kits, there are pro's and con's for all possible options. Single-disc clutch kits are no gimick...upgraded single disc assemblies have been used for decades for those seeking higher capacity clutch units , that can maintain drivability (dependent on the kit you choose) while meeting a lower price point. At the same time, as the potential for power output increases and the demand for higher-capacity, daily drivable unit grows Multi-Disc options become more viable for the manufacture and the consumer.

There are a number of Multi-Disc options on the market these days. Many of them will have a much higher initial cost than a single disc, while providing little gain in terms of capacity and at the sacrifice of drivability. Some will be able to bridge the gap between high capacity and daily use while maintaining a reasonable price point and it is these units that really become the better value for those seeking a true high-capacity multi-purpose option.

I think that most will agree that it is best to determine your clutch needs and then examine the available options before making a purchase. This may mean that you need a stock unit, a stage 1 or 3 or 5 or even a Multi-Disc, but I don't think that Multi-Disc clutch kits will eliminate the demand for single-disc kits in the future.

In the end, the consumer benefits from having many options to choose from and as such is likely to find exactly what they need.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Ibanez: Though, I can certainly appreciate your apparent passion for multi-disc clutch kits, there are pro's and con's for all possible options. Single-disc clutch kits are no gimick...upgraded single disc assemblies have been used for decades for those seeking higher capacity clutch units , that can maintain drivability (dependent on the kit you choose) while meeting a lower price point. At the same time, as the potential for power output increases and the demand for higher-capacity, daily drivable unit grows Multi-Disc options become more viable for the manufacture and the consumer.

There are a number of Multi-Disc options on the market these days. Many of them will have a much higher initial cost than a single disc, while providing little gain in terms of capacity and at the sacrifice of drivability. Some will be able to bridge the gap between high capacity and daily use while maintaining a reasonable price point and it is these units that really become the better value for those seeking a true high-capacity multi-purpose option.

I think that most will agree that it is best to determine your clutch needs and then examine the available options before making a purchase. This may mean that you need a stock unit, a stage 1 or 3 or 5 or even a Multi-Disc, but I don't think that Multi-Disc clutch kits will eliminate the demand for single-disc kits in the future.

In the end, the consumer benefits from having many options to choose from and as such is likely to find exactly what they need.
i completely agree!!!

Quick Reply: Need a smooth, streetable clutch for 500+HP