Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Clutch Drivability

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Clutch Drivability

Alright this is probably my 4th thread started in this section in two weeks. Needless to say I'm feeling a little flustered for a long time I was ready to go with a Textralia 0Z700 Z but recently I've started thinking that it will be at its limit for holding capacity for my potential final build.
This brings me to Mcleod and then finally Monster. I have NO doubts that these clutches are the best thing since sliced bread for holding capacity. Their warranty and excellent customer service speaks for itself! Not only that but they are priced very competitively as far as I'm concerned. However, there is one thing holding me back from jumping on the phone right now and ordering one, drivability.

My car is a weekend warrior that will never see track time due to being a convertible and be kicked off the track. However, it will see its fair share of roll racing. The rest of the time its ALL about comfort and easy driving my standards are high and I want dd driving material. How does this clutch measure up for this? I want to hear people that own this clutch tell me its awesome very little to no chatter, slightly heavier then stock peddal pressure good linear grabbing no ON/OFF clutch engagement.

thanks, and sorry for the long post
Old 01-25-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

southbend Phase 3 680ft/lb with stock hydraulics chatter free light as stock or lighter pedal feel never slipped yet and awesome customer service. its on my full bolton car
Old 01-25-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
southbend Phase 3 680ft/lb with stock hydraulics chatter free light as stock or lighter pedal feel never slipped yet and awesome customer service. its on my full bolton car

I've been looking into a new clutch lately.
Those southbends clutches look interesting.
I might consider a stage II for myself.

There is another member on here that loves his Southbend clutch so far.
His had a modified Luk pressure plate with a stage II disc.

Was your pressure plate similar to the stock pressure plate ?

How many miles are on your clutch ?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Check with SNLPerformance (sponsor) and he will GLADLY go over how the clutch will perform/drive on teh street for you. There is a member here (check out the thread titled Introducing Monster Clutch Co.) that just installed his Level III Monster. I bought the level VI but do not have it installed yet, so can not give you the info you are looking for there. And since you already know about the pricing and customer service, I won't hash that either.

1 Vote for Monster

Oh yeah, on edit....I do not know how to link or I would have for ya, sorry
Old 01-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Teching In

I just went over the break in period for the monster stage 2, it engages smoothly, it's slightly stiffer compared to the stock pedal but it's not a big deal. I'm happy with the clutch and price was excellent
Old 01-26-2009, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

I have a monster clutch stage 3. It is very streetable and really fun to drive. There was a lot of chatter for me for about the first 350-400ish miles and after that it was gone. I now have 644 miles on the clutch and there is no chatter it grabs really nice and it is slightly heavier than the stock pedal but not by much it seems to grab lower than the factory clutch which I have gotten used to. I have done some roll racing but not a lot my 3/4 syncro is bad =(. It grabs really hard and chirps them in 3rd which is amazing cause all i have is an intake and muffler and some grippy tires. Hope this helps! I drive this car daily also to school and work and I have no regrets at all about it.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks a lot guys making me feel alot more comfortable with the idea. keep the inputs coming, phoning Monster right now with some questions.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

What ever happened to the Monster twin and triple disc clutches? They use to be on there site, and I was thinking of getting one when mine goes. I can't stand how the Centerforce I have is like a on/off switch.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by squee
What ever happened to the Monster twin and triple disc clutches? They use to be on there site, and I was thinking of getting one when mine goes. I can't stand how the Centerforce I have is like a on/off switch.

They are in the works. SNLPerformance addressed this in another thread, and I can't remember which one it was, or when he said they would be out. I do know they are working on them, and doing some dyno testing with them right now or very soon.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

really? whats pricing like on them? This is something I've never seemed to get a straight answer for, are twin disc better drivability or not? (as a general rule of thumb)
Old 01-26-2009, 05:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We went back to the drawing board as there just wasn't enough rotating mass to make the clutches drivable on the street. We put them in numerous test cars to come to this conclusion. We will be re-releasing these once we get all of our data back from the new units we are testing, plus, we will also be releasing a 10.5" twin disc for you street guys.

As far as our clutches drivability, I'd be more than happy to write a full page of what it does and doesn't do, however, I'd rather you hear from the guys and gals that have installed this unit into their cars so you get an unbiased opinion. If you have any other questions at all just let me know, I'll go over them publicly, by pm, email, or phone.

Steve Addison
SNL Performance/Monster Clutch Co.
817-750-2000
Old 01-26-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bouvs
really? whats pricing like on them? This is something I've never seemed to get a straight answer for, are twin disc better drivability or not? (as a general rule of thumb)
I think it was $200 more over the Stage V and VI, and the triple was $300 more than the Stage V and VI I believe. VERY good price for a triple disc clutch.

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
We went back to the drawing board as there just wasn't enough rotating mass to make the clutches drivable on the street. We put them in numerous test cars to come to this conclusion. We will be re-releasing these once we get all of our data back from the new units we are testing, plus, we will also be releasing a 10.5" twin disc for you street guys.

As far as our clutches drivability, I'd be more than happy to write a full page of what it does and doesn't do, however, I'd rather you hear from the guys and gals that have installed this unit into their cars so you get an unbiased opinion. If you have any other questions at all just let me know, I'll go over them publicly, by pm, email, or phone.

Steve Addison
SNL Performance/Monster Clutch Co.
817-750-2000
Thanks for the quick reply. I just want something drivable since it'll be for my daily driver. I know your other clutches will be more than enough for 600hp, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, and I don't wanna have to buy another for a while. What kind of streetability do you expect out of the twin and triple once ya'll are done? Need any test cars?
Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the quick reply. I just want something drivable since it'll be for my daily driver. I know your other clutches will be more than enough for 600hp, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, and I don't wanna have to buy another for a while. What kind of streetability do you expect out of the twin and triple once ya'll are done? Need any test cars?
For what power you are making I'd recommend either the Level 3 or 5, either of those units will have outstanding driveability and longetivity.

Our twins and triples will have near stock driveability and will handle 4 digit power numbers with ease. More overkill for what you are trying to do honestly.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

For what power you are making I'd recommend either the Level 3 or 5, either of those units will have outstanding driveability and longetivity.

Our twins and triples will have near stock driveability and will handle 4 digit power numbers with ease. More overkill for what you are trying to do honestly.
Yea, that makes sense. I just want something that can take ALOT of abuse, cause this car is gonna see alot of racing. Maybe even some roadcourses. Not sure. Its looking like I'm gonna be selling my turbo and going with a maggie, which with the 383 will only make around 600, maybe 650hp, but the torque will be ridiculous. I've seen some maggie cars make over 450 foot pounds of torque at like 2500rpms, which is crazy. I don't think that'll have any effect on the clutch, but who knows? I will DEFINITELY be getting a double or triple disc though if I end going with the turbo on the new motor. I'd be somewhere around 800-900hp and would definitely need a stout clutch for it to handle being driven every day...
Old 01-26-2009, 06:12 PM
FormerVendor

Yea, that makes sense. I just want something that can take ALOT of abuse, cause this car is gonna see alot of racing. Maybe even some roadcourses. Not sure. Its looking like I'm gonna be selling my turbo and going with a maggie, which with the 383 will only make around 600, maybe 650hp, but the torque will be ridiculous. I've seen some maggie cars make over 450 foot pounds of torque at like 2500rpms, which is crazy. I don't think that'll have any effect on the clutch, but who knows? I will DEFINITELY be getting a double or triple disc though if I end going with the turbo on the new motor. I'd be somewhere around 800-900hp and would definitely need a stout clutch for it to handle being driven every day...
Agreed.

And torque has a major effect on a clutch. I would recommend a Level 5 if you go with a blower, it'll need it.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Agreed.

And torque has a major effect on a clutch. I would recommend a Level 5 if you go with a blower, it'll need it.
Yea, I was knew torque has a major effect on clutches, but does the torque curve matter since maggies make full boost pretty much off idle? I would think no matter what rpm it is, if it can hold the torque it'll be fine, right? I level 5 will be more than enough? I know the warranty is amazing, so I probably have nothing to worry about...
Old 01-27-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will I potentially be the first Canadian Monster clutch owner? Thats worth something I think
Old 01-28-2009, 04:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Bouvs
Will I potentially be the first Canadian Monster clutch owner? Thats worth something I think
You would be the second.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

so what about a ~600ish-rwhp / 550ish-rwtq NA motor need? what if a 150-200shot was in its future? level V/VI? twin? the car is a 'toy' that will see some track time, but mostly weekend warrior/cruise queen. drivability a plus, but want it to handle whatever power i make and not need replacing every 6 months...
Old 01-28-2009, 06:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
so what about a ~600ish-rwhp / 550ish-rwtq NA motor need? what if a 150-200shot was in its future? level V/VI? twin? the car is a 'toy' that will see some track time, but mostly weekend warrior/cruise queen. drivability a plus, but want it to handle whatever power i make and not need replacing every 6 months...
Good question.

If you are using the car on the street mainly and are looking for longetivity then I'd recommend a Level 5 or one of my twins when they release. The twin will have better street manners, but, the 5 will be less expensive.

Quick Reply: Monster Clutch Drivability