Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bad/Nothcy Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad/Nothcy Shifts

Whenever I change gears in my car it takes a decent amount of effort and usually feels like it's catching a few teeth on the gears. Its definitely not smooth like my last trans was. I checked the clutch to make sure its releasing all the way and it is but every gear has this problem. If it was just one or two gears I would think I just needed to replace a synchro or something but its every gear. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Old 02-08-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rollinna65
Whenever I change gears in my car it takes a decent amount of effort and usually feels like it's catching a few teeth on the gears. Its definitely not smooth like my last trans was. I checked the clutch to make sure its releasing all the way and it is but every gear has this problem. If it was just one or two gears I would think I just needed to replace a synchro or something but its every gear. Any ideas on how to fix this?
what kind of fluid do you have, I had mobile 1 synthetic in it and mine was notchy too, I changed it out for some regular ATF and it shifted good after that, but my 5 if **** now so I'm pulling it out.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If it does it in every gear it very well could be a clutch issue. What did you check on the clutch?
Old 02-08-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by _JB_
If it does it in every gear it very well could be a clutch issue. What did you check on the clutch?
I put the back of the car up on jackstands so that the rear tires weren't touching the ground. Then I stuck it in first and with the clutch depressed all the way I revved the motor up to 6k several times and the rear tires didn't budge. Also, I have a Tick master and a new slave in there so I don't think its a hydraulic issue.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

I changed my fluid at about 80,000 miles just to be safe. I had a friend change it at where he worked and used the cheap stuff they had on hand ( I think it was pennzoil or something). Ever since it has been notchy as a ****. Also, when downshifting to first I can hear a whirring sound at anything above 15MPH. All this started happening when the fluid was changed. I think I will be changing it soon to something better.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

I would start with the fluid and go from there. Just remember that rebuilds almost never shift as nice as brand new transmissions. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I put the back of the car up on jackstands so that the rear tires weren't touching the ground. Then I stuck it in first and with the clutch depressed all the way I revved the motor up to 6k several times and the rear tires didn't budge. Also, I have a Tick master and a new slave in there so I don't think its a hydraulic issue.
Yeah it is not a clutch problem then. How does it shift after driving the car? My tranny will **** different cold and warm, smoother when warm. I am running Amsoil ATF right now. I do not have a stock tranny either.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by _JB_
Yeah it is not a clutch problem then. How does it shift after driving the car? My tranny will **** different cold and warm, smoother when warm. I am running Amsoil ATF right now. I do not have a stock tranny either.
It definitely shifts the roughest when its really cold but it still does it when its warm. I'm running some cheapo dex III in it right now and its always worked pretty well for me. I got it from a guy that pulled it out of his GTO at 30k miles. He said it shifted great when he pulled it out. I guess I might try changing out the fluid but I really don't think that'll fix it. The thing really just shifts like crap.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

your pilot bearing isnt any good!when you see that iam right replace it with a pilot bushing.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bloodhoundz28
your pilot bearing isnt any good!when you see that iam right replace it with a pilot bushing.
Umm...no.

LS1's use a roller pilot bearing. Replacing it with a pilot bushing isn't going to solve his problem or gain him anything...
Old 02-09-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've already got a pilot bushing instead of a pilot bearing. If the bearing were bad and the input shaft was seized to the crank I wouldn't be able to shift let alone start the car without it trying to take off on me.