Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HAHA, Stealership wants $510 just for labor to install slave!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grifter
I didn't read the whole thread but $510 doesn't seem like a horrible price for a dealer to install a slave cylinder. Would I pay that much? No. But then again I would be the one at the dealer doing the work haha. Drain the trans, disconnect the hydraulic line, remove the ds, remove the trans, remove the slave, install the slave, install the trans, re-install the hydraulic line, fill the trans and bleed the system.
are you kidding?

i was quoted $350 to install a new clutch in my car (labor only).. this was after i just got done putting a clutch in ad having it slip, i said to myself there is no way im going to do that again 2 weeks after i just finished it

but yeah, you have to take the bellhousing off with the transmission.. i figured that out after trying to pull the tranny out for 10min and it wasnt budging

other than that, its pretty simple.. although the transmission isnt gonna come out as easy as that little drawing slows, you are gonna have to wiggle it around the a while
Old 02-28-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Grifter
I didn't read the whole thread but $510 doesn't seem like a horrible price for a dealer to install a slave cylinder. Would I pay that much? No. But then again I would be the one at the dealer doing the work haha. Drain the trans, disconnect the hydraulic line, remove the ds, remove the trans, remove the slave, install the slave, install the trans, re-install the hydraulic line, fill the trans and bleed the system.
No you didnt because if you did, you wouldnt have said it. $510 labor only. Still a good price?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
are you kidding?

i was quoted $350 to install a new clutch in my car (labor only).. this was after i just got done putting a clutch in ad having it slip, i said to myself there is no way im going to do that again 2 weeks after i just finished it

but yeah, you have to take the bellhousing off with the transmission.. i figured that out after trying to pull the tranny out for 10min and it wasnt budging

other than that, its pretty simple.. although the transmission isnt gonna come out as easy as that little drawing slows, you are gonna have to wiggle it around the a while
Originally Posted by flintwrench69
No you didnt because if you did, you wouldnt have said it. $510 labor only. Still a good price?
Haha, sorry I upset you guys. I'm a tech at a GM dealer, I honestly don't remember what we charge hourly to customers. It also depends what kind of work it is, electrical diagnosis is somewhere in the hundreds an hour, mechanical is cheaper. But when I did GTO transmissions under warranty I was paid around 5 for removal I think. And that's warranty, which you get almost nothing on compared to hourly. So figure around $90 an hour, the book says 5 hours that's $450. And I know that my dealer has relatively cheap labor compared to some others around me.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
are you kidding?

Are you sure about that? I installed my bellhousing first, then the tranny. Im pretty sure you can just remove the tranny and leave the bell housing on the engine.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do not have to remove the bellhousing. Actually it is easier to stab the trans with the bellhousing installed on the engine.

Shane
Old 02-28-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the others...I don't know where you are, but 510 is not that bad a deal from where I am standing, haha.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

I dont see why everyone is making such a big deal about it. I have pulled my trans a couple of times by myself in the dirt with the car on jackstands and using just a regular floor jack for the tranny. lining it back up when putting it back in is a little bit of a pita but nothing major. Just requires a bit of muscle and what you lack in muscle just use your brain (pry bar, ect...). And a little piece of mind im only 115 pounds and can barley bench anything...
Old 03-01-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skeels
I dont see why everyone is making such a big deal about it. I have pulled my trans a couple of times by myself in the dirt with the car on jackstands and using just a regular floor jack for the tranny. lining it back up when putting it back in is a little bit of a pita but nothing major. Just requires a bit of muscle and what you lack in muscle just use your brain (pry bar, ect...). And a little piece of mind im only 115 pounds and can barley bench anything...
Hahaha the tranny weighs more than you.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought I would let you guys know. I'm doing my trans at work and one of the service writers came over to talk about my car. I asked him if he could find out how much it pays. The book calls for 6.6 to R&R the trans and he would charge $125 an hour, so $825. So like I stated from the beginning, for a dealer $510 doesn't seem insane to me. Would I ever pay that much, no but that's not my point.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Teching In

just got my slave and master along with LS7 clutch kit for $400
Old 03-07-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got my clutch changed last year for a little under $400(tax included). local, independent transmission shop
Old 03-07-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thought I'd update incase anyone following this thread didn't see my new one, I installed the slave by myself, it took me from 9am - 5:36 pm no breaks. But it fixed my sticky clutch pedal!
Old 03-08-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too bad you dont live closer, id yank the trans out for you. Ive done it a good 10 times in atleast 4 different cars. Ive done it by myself, on my back, with no jack, but im 6'3" 230lbs so moving that thing around for me isnt that bad.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ehh... stealership always charges more than anyone... i think it is a little bit high... i took my 96 Z in onetime for mis fire (before I knew **** about the car) it was a burnt spark plug wire, so they replaced all spark plug wires... almost $600 said it took them 5.5 hours to get it done'... i can say that "I Got Raped"
Old 03-09-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96blackz28
ehh... stealership always charges more than anyone... i think it is a little bit high... i took my 96 Z in onetime for mis fire (before I knew **** about the car) it was a burnt spark plug wire, so they replaced all spark plug wires... almost $600 said it took them 5.5 hours to get it done'... i can say that "I Got Raped"
That sucks man. When I was a newb I had the dealership bleed my clutch fluid for me cause I didn't think I'd be able to do it right myself it was like $120!
Old 03-09-2009, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

**** a local trans shop wanted $600 just to put in my stall
Old 03-09-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
That sucks man. When I was a newb I had the dealership bleed my clutch fluid for me cause I didn't think I'd be able to do it right myself it was like $120!
Ouch. Well, you learned from that experience!

And I'm not sure who it was that said you have to remove the trans with the bellhousing but that is clearly not correct. It is much easier to remove the trans separate from the bellhousing.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

510 is a fair price, not a super bargain but they're either doing less than book time or have a nice hourly rate.

What kind of warranty do they offer?
GM or aftermarket parts?
What certifications do they have?
How long will this take you?
How long will your car be down?
Can you afford to be down?
What is your time really worth? (Divide your salary/wage by hours worked)
Do you have the proper tools?
Do you have the tools to do this in a reasonable amount of time?
Do you clean up in compliance with EPA and other enviro-*****?
Do you enjoy this stuff?
What happens if something goes wrong?
What if you get hurt?
Insurance/warranty?
Guess what, if something goes wrong, you're fixing it again, or maybe fixing something that wasn't broken before.

Don't fall into the absolutely moronic "stealership" mindset.

Getting a shop to do the work makes sense for most people at some point. A dealership is just another shop, some are good, some suck. The benefit is, they probably work on more Chevys than private shops. The bad is many try to take advantage of that specialty. Fact is, MANY shops out there will bone you in a heartbeat. Learn what all is really involved and take the time to pick a competent one that will stand behind their work. Most importantly, find one you can trust. That is key, no matter whose name is on the sign. Fact also is, you won't know for sure until you spend some time and money finding out.

Good luck whichever way you go.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmilz28
510 is a fair price, not a super bargain but they're either doing less than book time or have a nice hourly rate.

What kind of warranty do they offer?
GM or aftermarket parts?
What certifications do they have?
How long will this take you?
How long will your car be down?
Can you afford to be down?
What is your time really worth? (Divide your salary/wage by hours worked)
Do you have the proper tools?
Do you have the tools to do this in a reasonable amount of time?
Do you clean up in compliance with EPA and other enviro-*****?
Do you enjoy this stuff?
What happens if something goes wrong?
What if you get hurt?
Insurance/warranty?
Guess what, if something goes wrong, you're fixing it again, or maybe fixing something that wasn't broken before.

Don't fall into the absolutely moronic "stealership" mindset.

Getting a shop to do the work makes sense for most people at some point. A dealership is just another shop, some are good, some suck. The benefit is, they probably work on more Chevys than private shops. The bad is many try to take advantage of that specialty. Fact is, MANY shops out there will bone you in a heartbeat. Learn what all is really involved and take the time to pick a competent one that will stand behind their work. Most importantly, find one you can trust. That is key, no matter whose name is on the sign. Fact also is, you won't know for sure until you spend some time and money finding out.

Good luck whichever way you go.
I ended up putting on the slave myself, thanks for the input, I'll try not to fall into the absolutely moronic "stealership" mindset, but that doesn't mean I'll stop calling it a Stealership
Old 03-09-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You should just be fair and balanced by calling all the other places "f*ck shops"! LOL

Quick Reply: HAHA, Stealership wants $510 just for labor to install slave!