Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HAHA, Stealership wants $510 just for labor to install slave!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry HAHA, Stealership wants $510 just for labor to install slave!

Well, I just finished installing a new Master cylinder, and my pedal is still the same, stickin half way up all the time unless I pump it 20 times, then it acts normal for about 5 min. or so then goes back to stickin. At least I know its the slave but I wasn't to comfortable doing the install myself so I called the stealership and they said its $510 just for labor! HAHA, no thanks you freakin shysters!

I then called another popular transmission place that quoted me about $350 after asking me if my Trans Am was front or rear wheel drive! So that place is out.

I looked up the write up and its not that bad, so, I'm gonna do it by myself. I'm just hopin anyone who has installed one before can give me their two cents on anything they would have done different or troubles they ran into during the install. Wish me luck guys!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish my hands were smaller to get that top transmission bolt out on the passenger side.
Other than that it's pretty straightforward. Good Luck.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

Swivels, long extensions, patience... sums it up
Old 02-21-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I only have one question about the write up, on the last part it says to remove 8 15mm bolts holding the tranny to the bellhousing then I can slide the tranny back a few inches to get to the slave.

Do I have to have a jack under the tranny when I take off the 8 15mm bolts because it will crash to the ground? Or will the tranny just hang there and I can get under the tranny and pull it back the few inches by hand?

I ask cause I don't have a rolling jack, I just have regular jacks from my accord and trans am used to change a flat tire.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I only have one question about the write up, on the last part it says to remove 8 15mm bolts holding the tranny to the bellhousing then I can slide the tranny back a few inches to get to the slave.

Do I have to have a jack under the tranny when I take off the 8 15mm bolts because it will crash to the ground? Or will the tranny just hang there and I can get under the tranny and pull it back the few inches by hand?

I ask cause I don't have a rolling jack, I just have regular jacks from my accord and trans am used to change a flat tire.
well, either a trans jack, or regular floor jack, with a strap, or even brute strength to lift it, it will fall after you pull it out, you dont want the pressure on the shaft either. I have done it once without a jack, it is a pita but do able, I believe the trans is about 100 lbs... I'm 6'3 220 and it was a little bit of a struggle to hold it up, when I went to re align it with the splines in the clutch, I have a trans jack now....
Old 02-21-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

its not that bad to do it yourself. you'll need 3 guys and atleast one of them that can bench 150lbs. you can do it
Old 02-21-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would get a cheap jack. But I don't have any friends
Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did it by myself with this jack from harbor freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39178
Old 02-22-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, I'm feeling more and more confident about the install with all this advise, keep it up if there is anymore. I'm doin the install on my days off this tuesday/ wed. I was thinking about buying this set at kragen since I don't have jack stands or a floor jack...

Its a two ton jack with jack stands for only $39.99 on sale. And this is how I'm thinking it will work...

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 02-22-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Thanks guys, I'm feeling more and more confident about the install with all this advise, keep it up if there is anymore. I'm doin the install on my days off this tuesday/ wed. I was thinking about buying this set at kragen since I don't have jack stands or a floor jack...

Its a two ton jack with jack stands for only $39.99 on sale. And this is how I'm thinking it will work...

The slave cylinder goes around the input shaft, so you will have to basically pull the entire tranny out to replace it. Makes life a lot easier to just drop the tranny out.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tranny jacks typically have a good sized tilting platform for the tranny to sit on. I think a regular jack base will be to narrow. You can buy something like this to adapt a regular jack:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10101
Old 02-22-2009, 01:34 PM
10 Second Moderator

Originally Posted by EastTnZ28
I would get a cheap jack. But I don't have any friends
Thats funny! I dont have any friends either that are worth pi$$ing in the road for. I bought the Atlas Pro V 10,000 two post hoist for this AND you can do other stuff with it too. That jack...yup I had one of those that my 82 Camaro fell off of and ended up smashing a Canton oil pan beyond fix so the jack went straight in to the dumpster. If you were closer I would change it for ya for free.

Good luck to ya blueknight, Tom
Old 02-22-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Torkman15
Thats funny! I dont have any friends either that are worth pi$$ing in the road for. I bought the Atlas Pro V 10,000 two post hoist for this AND you can do other stuff with it too. That jack...yup I had one of those that my 82 Camaro fell off of and ended up smashing a Canton oil pan beyond fix so the jack went straight in to the dumpster. If you were closer I would change it for ya for free.

Good luck to ya blueknight, Tom
Thanks man, I'll bring this thread back to life on Tuesday and let you guys know how it went. It's not my daily driver so even if it takes me a few days or few weeks its not a problem. Hopefully I can get started in the morning on Tuesday and have it finished in the afternoon some time though.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bought this trans adaptor.

Had this jack allready.

This helped imensely too.

My hands are large, if I can do it, anyone can do it. The hardest part was getting that bolt on the top, where the harness loop is held on by the bolt.

Had that trans out twice, it's get easier each time.

Last edited by bearcatt; 02-24-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Bad Punctuation
Old 02-22-2009, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

If you're lucky you might have a rental store in your area that rents tranny jacks. Get the one made for automatics, it has the large adjustable plate with a strap to lock the tranny on the plate. Good Luck!
Old 02-25-2009, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

it will be tough for you, doing it by yourself with that narrow jack, you need an adaptor, and at least someone trying to help you, easy to come out a little tougher going back in,take your time, you can do it, good luck
btw bleeding it is a bitch
Old 02-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your pulling the trans, between removal, install, and bleeding, they quoted you right. Plus if the clutch is worn a new one should be tossed in.

I myself do my own work but you never know what your going to find when you quote a job, I know we have a unique perspective but at a dealership you gotta make a educated guess and make a profit.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by massls1guy
I did it by myself with this jack from harbor freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39178
That is a great link thanks!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:07 AM
Launching!

hey TheBlueKnight, you didn't happen to have a vid on streetfire about the slave install did you? Saw it a few days ago, looks like you got it done if that was your vid.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't read the whole thread but $510 doesn't seem like a horrible price for a dealer to install a slave cylinder. Would I pay that much? No. But then again I would be the one at the dealer doing the work haha. Drain the trans, disconnect the hydraulic line, remove the ds, remove the trans, remove the slave, install the slave, install the trans, re-install the hydraulic line, fill the trans and bleed the system.

Quick Reply: HAHA, Stealership wants $510 just for labor to install slave!