Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hydraulic Fiasco Over, Slave Fixed My Sticky Clutch Pedal!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking Hydraulic Fiasco Over, Slave Fixed My Sticky Clutch Pedal!

Sorry I didn't post up yesterday afternoon like I said I would guys. I ended up doing my slave by myself and it took me from 9am - 5:36pm. I never took any breaks and never ate so when I was done I felt pretty beat up and crappy. I still don't feel that good today.

Below I've attached a few videos I took during the install. Hopefully someone may find these a bit informative. But lets stick to the main story for now. To recap I have had a sticky clutch pedal since I bought the car in august. It wasn't just sticking half way up at WOT, it was even just cruising around town and babying the car. If I pumped the pedal like 15 times it would come back to life for like 5 min then go back to sticking half way up. I followed the "sticky clutch pedal write up" and did everything in order

-check resavior for low fluid (fluid not low so no leaks)
-bled clutch fluid (didn't help)
-mity vac for air (no air found)
-skipped the drill mod (wasn't having any real trouble shifting at WOT)
-replaced the Master cylinder (same symptoms, didn't help!)
-replaced Slave Cylinder, it worked!

My clutch pedal now pops up with vigor and never sticks anymore! So happy! The reason I did it myself is because the stealership wanted $510 for labor to do it! So I embarked on the journey. I used the write up from the sticky and did the entire install by myself, and with God, and it took from 9am - 5:36pm. At the end I was drenched in transmission fluid, sore, and tired, but It was done and it worked! I'm sure you guys hve questions as I'm pretty tired right now and left a lot out. I know I should have used a tranny jack but oh well. I made a lot of mistakes and screwed up but I'm hoping people can learn from what I've done, my video is no way telling anyone how to do this.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...kes_638399.htm *Link fixed*

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 02-26-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bwahhahha, I watched the vid, very good. Note to self, drain fluid before I yank my trans. You know, I was going to take my car in cause I am suspicious that I have a bad slave, but after seeing this video I think that I can do it myself.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man, I should have put some info on the vid I posted on streetfire. I didn't think anyone but people from ls1 tech would find the video but random people on the internet found the video and think I posted it up to tell people how to change their slave like a write up. THIS IS NOT THE CASE! I'm posting the vid to show people what happened to me so you don't make the same mistakes, I hope my vid can help people have an easier time changing their slave by seeing what went wrong when I did it.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:03 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Link is down, for now at least.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

*Link is fixed* Sorry about that, don't know why it took a crap but the link is fixed now.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

i wish i had this problem so it would be an easy fix. My clutch pedal only sticks at WOT, and its pissing me off.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you done the drill mod?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Get a trans jack, or get a friend to help if you ever do this again. A trans jack has a big cradle that will hold it so it won't fall off. I hope that you did not stress the wires too much.

Last edited by racecar; 02-26-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the video, definitely saving that for doing my clutch. It's so nice to see how it looks apart before doing it. Love the cell phone ring tone too!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:40 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn, $500+ to just swap a slave cylinder, I wonder what the charge is for a clutch swap.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:52 AM
Teching In

This is absolutley PRICELESS! you have some major stones man for real ... you couldnt pay me to rip the trans out of anything I owned. Great to see you fixed the sticking pedal, which after reading a few threads seems to be quite the issue on these cars. Good job on pulling the trans solo and FWIW this thread deserves WAY more attention!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Launching!

This vid is making me wanna do this to fix my sticky pedal. Hopefully my aftermarket clutch master will solve if not tranny is coming out.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dropping a transmission in the driveway without a lift is one thing, but doing the job all by yourself is quite admirable.

Nice video.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dang thanks guys! I never thought I'd see another post on this thread again! I never want to pull my tranny by myself ever again! It sucked *****!!!

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 05-04-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight

My clutch pedal now pops up with vigor and never sticks anymore! So happy!
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...kes_638399.htm *Link fixed*
giggity
Old 05-04-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I sucked *****!!!
That's something we didn't need to know lol
Old 05-04-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by raven154
That's something we didn't need to know lol
Haha, that's sig worthy.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default master or slave?

Glad I found this thread! I think I have the same issue with mine. Trying to determine if it's the master or slave and after what you described it sounds like it's the slave. Mine doesn't stick at WOT but sticks mainly cruising around at slow speeds stuck in traffic, stuck at the stupid mcdonalds drive thru..

If I pump the pedal when it's in neutral it will gradually come back again. Since it's mainly getting stuck at slower speeds around 1st to 2nd gear, most of the time I can ride out the gear and this will also bring the clutch back at least enough to shift again.

Sometimes it sticks bad enough that it won't disengage from the gear I'm in unless I turn off the car. Shifting into reverse has always sucked but I'm thinking that might be another issue. The reverse thing sounds like a fluid issue with the MC. Dang I guess I just need to replace everything lol Thanks for the video, this will help me since I'm fairly new to mechanics.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by k0261886
Bwahhahha, I watched the vid, very good. Note to self, drain fluid before I yank my trans. You know, I was going to take my car in cause I am suspicious that I have a bad slave, but after seeing this video I think that I can do it myself.

Oh yeah.. I think we've all done that. get ready to bench press the trans out, get it loose and get a chest full or crotch full of ATF! not very cool.. (if working on the ground)

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Fiasco Over, Slave Fixed My Sticky Clutch Pedal!