Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Gasket to quiet down the pro 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasket to quiet down the pro 5.0

I heard of the guy that sells shifter gaskets for a lot of cars out there, (cobrabob's shifter gaskets) something like that.

Would his gasket quiet down my loud and annoying pro5.0? do you guys have any other suggestions?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

what do you mean by loud and annoying? what sounds is it making???
Old 03-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should help some with the noise, but don't expect it all to disappear. Cobrabob's gaskets are nice...I've used one for quite some time.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cobrabob from svtperformance is the man.. had it on my stang and what a freakin difference
Old 03-04-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one from cobrabob. They are about 7 bucks. You can google it and find him real quick.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I was just on his site. Will his gasket work with my pro5.0? Im tired of the noise this thing makes. My factory unit couldnt be heard.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a pro 5.0 with this and i think its quiet. I got it primarily to get it to quit leaking tranny fluid.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Couple dollars at the hardware store. Comes in two thicknesses. I used the thinner of the two.

Few minutes trimming it to fit. I left it bigger to keep it from deforming. Spread an even, thin layer of RTV around on both sides of the gasket.

My shifter is quiet as can be. I dont hear it at all. Maybe its all the other noise from my car... It doesnt leak either.

I didnt feel like paying and waiting for pre-made ones. Its the simplest shape to cut out...takes a few minutes.

J.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Couple dollars at the hardware store. Comes in two thicknesses. I used the thinner of the two.

Few minutes trimming it to fit. I left it bigger to keep it from deforming. Spread an even, thin layer of RTV around on both sides of the gasket.

My shifter is quiet as can be. I dont hear it at all. Maybe its all the other noise from my car... It doesnt leak either.

I didnt feel like paying and waiting for pre-made ones. Its the simplest shape to cut out...takes a few minutes.

J.

Thats it nothing more to it, just to cover the base? What exact gasket type is this that I need to look for?
Old 03-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

That's exactly it, and why it only costs $7.00 from Cobrabob. I didn't know where to source the material, so I just ordered it from him.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I picked my material up at ACE...in the plumbing section. Im sure any hardware store worth a darn would have it...or something similar. Something about being gasket material for toilet fixtures or something. Comes in 8"x8" squares or something like that. Two thicknesses. And I used the other piece for other little projects. Worth the few bucks.

You cant go wrong either way. I just happened to need the gasket right away, and found the material so decided to make it. It really is that simple.

J.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah i dont know what that material is really. im gonna have to see it in person or do more research.

Would dynomat work well too? It is designed for sound detaning....
Old 03-06-2009, 12:13 AM
12 Second Club

I made my own also. It's just rubber gasket material from any hardware or auto store. Don't use the stuff that looks like cork. the material I used was a red in color rubber. I think I got it from Home Depot or Lowes.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker
Yeah i dont know what that material is really. im gonna have to see it in person or do more research.

Would dynomat work well too? It is designed for sound detaning....
No...dynomat isnt gonna work haha. You might be over thinking this... Just get some type of rubber, not too thick, and cut to fit. Simple as that. Dont get cork as mentioned above. Also...when you use the rubber gasket, you dont gotta crank down the bolts. The rubber, with some RTV on it, will seal really easy. If you crank down too hard, all you'll do is squish the gasket out and strip the bolt holes.

I tried to find the gasket pack that I got online somewhere...but couldnt find it. But home depot, lowes, ace, mom and pop hardware, true value, etc etc should all have something you can use for a couple bucks.

J.

Here's one that would probably work...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100574988

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 03-06-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is this what I want for my pro 5.0?
http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/products.htm
Item SKU: CB-10

Just making sure...
Old 03-06-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
No...dynomat isnt gonna work haha. You might be over thinking this... Just get some type of rubber, not too thick, and cut to fit. Simple as that. Dont get cork as mentioned above. Also...when you use the rubber gasket, you dont gotta crank down the bolts. The rubber, with some RTV on it, will seal really easy. If you crank down too hard, all you'll do is squish the gasket out and strip the bolt holes.

I tried to find the gasket pack that I got online somewhere...but couldnt find it. But home depot, lowes, ace, mom and pop hardware, true value, etc etc should all have something you can use for a couple bucks.

J.

Here's one that would probably work...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100574988
I just mentioned dynomat because a friend of mine recommended it. I didnt think that it was needed for this either. The homedepot link you sent didn't work :S
Old 03-06-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its not that dynomat wasnt needed..its not what dynomat is used for. Its not gasket material. You could layer the tunny with it...but that wont stop the noise from coming up through the shifter body itself.

Not sure why the link wont work...worked for me from two different computers. In any case...just put this number in the home depot search box. 59849 That'll take you to it.

J.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

still no luck .......
Old 03-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Launching!

The gasket is not going to help quiet the sound, seeing that the stock hurst just came with a sealent gasket as well. The sound is coming through the shifter itself, look at your stock shifter and the asembly of the pivot. There are 2 sets of rubber boots and inside stop sound as well as rattling from the stick. The pro 5.0 is just a shifter, no sound isolation. The one thing you can do is not cut the lower boot all the way, but just barely around the shifter, and this does help.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camarosam22
The gasket is not going to help quiet the sound, seeing that the stock hurst just came with a sealent gasket as well.
It sure helped mine. Mine sounded like a sewing machine when I first installed it. Then I decided to change fluid, so I pulled the shifter, re-packed with grease, sealed it with the rubber gasket + RTV and it was a totally different shifter. I cut my lower boot to go all the way around the shifter base, so I could get at the stop screws and what not. She's quiet as can be now. Or atleast I cant hear it above all the other noise. hahaha.

J.

Quick Reply: Gasket to quiet down the pro 5.0