Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch bleed question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch bleed question

I know alot of people have problems bleeding the clutch. I have a question about this. Is it possible to remove the clutch line and bleed it just like you would while bench bleeding to try to flush the fluid out of the master?
Old 03-15-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

Problem is the angle of the master. One of the reasons to bench bleed is to get the master level so that there is no air trapped on the high side of it.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

So what is the difference in doing it that way or using the bleeder on the slave?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Picture the master as a tube. One end, (the end attached to the pedal), is higher than the other. If air gets trapped in the high, (pedal), end, it is very difficult to get it out.

I once had a slave blow at the track, drained all the fluid from the system. Only way I could get it back was to remove the master and bench bleed the system.

Just my experience... ymmv...
Old 03-15-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chuckyt1
Picture the master as a tube. One end, (the end attached to the pedal), is higher than the other. If air gets trapped in the high, (pedal), end, it is very difficult to get it out.

I once had a slave blow at the track, drained all the fluid from the system. Only way I could get it back was to remove the master and bench bleed the system.

Just my experience... ymmv...
I understand that, I just done see a difference in removing the clutch line to bleed or using the bleeder on the slave???
Old 03-15-2009, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

I think I may have misunderstood your original question.

If you unhook the line and bleed the master, the slave might still have air in it. When you use the bleeder, you also bleed the slave.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, I was just looking for a better way of cleaning the fluid out of the master b/c sucking the fluid out of the res. to get all the old fluid out takes for ever.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Check out Rangers site about changing the clutch fluid. Good stuff...
Old 03-15-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chuckyt1
Check out Rangers site about changing the clutch fluid. Good stuff...
I have, I just thought this would be a faster and better way of getting all the crappie fluid out.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

this is ******* bullshit. this job is ******* impossible. im going crazy, tried everything now looking for an answer to save me through this troubling time. there is no ******* way to effectivly bleed/flush this goddamn clutch system. i swear to GOD there is no ******* bleeder screw on the slave. i cant even seem to find/see the slave bc i believe its INSIDE the bellhousing. do i have to pull the ******* tranny just to bleed this ******* ****?! i also just spent 50 hard earned bucks on the stupid "mighty vac" and this bullshit way doesnt even work! how good am i? my clutch is acting up (stuck to the floor, slow to return, etc..) yes the fluid is black an thats y im trying to change it before i condem anything els like the hydrolic, slave, clutch etc.. SOMEBODY SAVE MY *** PLEASE! IM GONNA CRY! IM READY TO DRIVE THE **** OUT MY CAR TILL SOMTHING BREAKS! SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by W.hiteS.6
this is ******* bullshit. this job is ******* impossible. im going crazy, tried everything now looking for an answer to save me through this troubling time. there is no ******* way to effectivly bleed/flush this goddamn clutch system. i swear to GOD there is no ******* bleeder screw on the slave. i cant even seem to find/see the slave bc i believe its INSIDE the bellhousing. do i have to pull the ******* tranny just to bleed this ******* ****?! i also just spent 50 hard earned bucks on the stupid "mighty vac" and this bullshit way doesnt even work! how good am i? my clutch is acting up (stuck to the floor, slow to return, etc..) yes the fluid is black an thats y im trying to change it before i condem anything els like the hydrolic, slave, clutch etc.. SOMEBODY SAVE MY *** PLEASE! IM GONNA CRY! IM READY TO DRIVE THE **** OUT MY CAR TILL SOMTHING BREAKS! SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!
Ok, take a deep breath and step away from the car. The bleeder is above the clutch line that is connected to the trans and you can not see it but only feel it. You are going to need a 1/4" drive ratchet and a 10 mm shallow socket.
I had this idea thinking it might work but no one has any other input. Over the summer I removed my master cylinder and took it apart and cleaned all the nasty fluid out of it which you would not believe how much fluid that is in there. If I would have done the "Ranger" method it would have taken me 3 years. I just thought this way would push the fluid out without putting it into the bellhousing and clear it out faster.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

I think it's actually an 11m or 7/16. If you use a 1/4" breaker bar, instead of a ratchet, it makes life a lot easier. Don't have to switch it back and forth, plus it's got a smaller head.

Quick Reply: Clutch bleed question